347     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

Taken May 16

20230516_212226.jpg

Regal Garden in the Korea town part of Toronto appears to have abruptly closed. Yelp is reporting them to be closed also: https://www.yelp.ca/biz/regal-garden-toronto
(Calling their business number does not go to a "number not in service" recording. Instead, it goes to a fast paced busy signal...whatever that means...)

Is this taken from Richmond St or Temperance? Do you also have an image capturing a wider shot of the space?

"The signs for the second location of Marbl Toronto are now up on Richmond St. West, directly east of Hy's Steakhouse in the Financial District."

What's people's opinion on this?
Well, they're not intentionally running a deposit business. They just want people to prove that they are serious about the reservation.
I support that move.
This frees up the reservation process so that only the serious will maintain interest in reserving...possibly freeing up tables for people who otherwise may have been
told that the restaurant is full...when it unfortunately is not.
Also, when I make a reservation, I honour it!!

Last edited:
It seems to have become a thing to make a reservation and then decide whether or not to show up. No shows means that the restaurant may have turned someone else away who could have used the table so now there is an empty table and a potential customer who has gone elsewhere. I have no problem giving a deposit, because when I make a reservation, I honour it. 🤷🏻‍♀️

It seems to have become a thing to make a reservation and then decide whether or not to show up. No shows means that the restaurant may have turned someone else away who could have used the table so now there is an empty table and a potential customer who has gone elsewhere. I have no problem giving a deposit, because when I make a reservation, I honour it. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I do as well (honour reservations); though, there are a small number of people who may not have credit cards for whom such a policy may be an issue; and really, it ought not be necessary, but for ill-mannered, poorly socialized souls.

I tend to think cancelling a reservation (of typical size, ie up to 4) ought to be free of penalty with reasonable notice.

If one gives up a table at 10am, for a dinner service, most places should be able to fill that table.

Larger parties are different, because a restaurant may be declining multiple tables, and may also staff-up for a larger group.

I do as well (honour reservations); though, there are a small number of people who may not have credit cards for whom such a policy may be an issue; and really, it ought not be necessary, but for ill-mannered, poorly socialized souls.

I tend to think cancelling a reservation (of typical size, ie up to 4) ought to be free of penalty with reasonable notice.

If one gives up a table at 10am, for a dinner service, most places should be able to fill that table.

Larger parties are different, because a restaurant may be declining multiple tables, and may also staff-up for a larger group.
I Like what you are saying, but I will argue further, that it is also only fair that each restaurant that charges the deposit CLEARLY informs of the latest time a cancelation can be made before a deposit is kept.

Yes for sure there needs to be policies re notice similar to hotel reservations. Plans do change of course. I have heard of people making multiple reservations for the same night so they can decide last minute where to go. (I do some work with a restaurant group).

Some restaurants go further - such as Alo, on the Tock platform. They require a $150 deposit per person, and it is non-refundable, though the reservation can be transferred to someone else.

Some restaurants go further - such as Alo, on the Tock platform. They require a $150 deposit per person, and it is non-refundable, though the reservation can be transferred to someone else.
and I hear you have to book like a month or 2 in advance...

Back