News   Apr 25, 2024
 138     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

Harvey’s QSR Restaurant Chain Looks to Add 200 Locations in Canada in National Rollout

On the one hand, that's projected 67% growth in location count.

On the other hand, it makes you realize how small Harvey's is relative to its competitors in the burger chain space.

Canadian Burger Chains - location count

McDs - 1,462
A&W - 1,033
Wendys - 403
Burger King - 327
Harveys - 300

As a comparative note

Tim's has over 4,000 locations in Canada

No official timeline set yet, but Montreal-based chef Antonio Park will be opening a new restaurant in the former One Eighty space at the 51st floor of the Manulife Centre:

On the one hand, that's projected 67% growth in location count.

On the other hand, it makes you realize how small Harvey's is relative to its competitors in the burger chain space.

Canadian Burger Chains - location count

McDs - 1,462
A&W - 1,033
Wendys - 403
Burger King - 327
Harveys - 300

As a comparative note

Tim's has over 4,000 locations in Canada

I am actually surprised that A&W has that many; also surprised that there are more Wendy's than BKs.

AoD

I am actually surprised that A&W has that many; also surprised that there are more Wendy's than BKs.

AoD

Keep in mind for all these chains, this is really a measure of points-of-sale, not necessarily traditional 'restaurants'.

So when you see that you can get A&W at your local Petro Canada Station, that counts towards location count; the same way one of those little Tim's huts that's drive-thru only, and has no on-site kitchen counts.

Same thing for locations inside cinemas and food courts.

Wendy's is still benefiting from its brief co-building period w/Tim's when they were the owner.

BK Canada has historically not done very well, it has never invested the $$ into prime real estate or keeping locations current that the market-leaders have. That seems to be changing, but it's recent.

AoD
I believe the higher A & W count is their larger presence relatively in Western Canada. On a cross Country tip years ago when A & W was mainly a mall food court presence in Ontario, I was surprised at the number of stand alone full restaurants in big small locations across the Prairies.

I believe the higher A & W count is their larger presence relatively in Western Canada. On a cross Country tip years ago when A & W was mainly a mall food court presence in Ontario, I was surprised at the number of stand alone full restaurants in big small locations across the Prairies.

Historically true, to be sure.

That said, have a look at the current locations map for downtown outposts:

1651156885800.png

I get 13 A&Ws

Same approx. area for BK:

1651157068143.png

3 locations

Attachments

• 1651157031258.png
    1651157031258.png
    336.7 KB · Views: 81

Growing up in the 1980s/90s the only stand alone A&W in Ontario i remember was on Hespeler rd in Cambridge, where the Starbucks is. it was one of the last A&W's left over from the olden days.

My dad grew up in the 50s and remembers when A&W had stand alone locations across Ontario, ( drive ins) the girls would bring the food out to your car window on roller skates. My guess Mcdonalds probably killed them off in the 1960s/70s It's nice to see the chain make a come back. I prefer A&W over most of the other burger chains.

A&W has expanded massively in Ontario over the last 4-5 years. Most of those Toronto ones weren't around even as little as 2 years ago.

True.

In the press release I quote below, you would note they had 860 locations in early 2017, so they've added about 170 since then, disproportionately in the GTA.

The product of a much lauded C-suite team at A&W.

They hit on a marketing/niche point w/their push for sustainable/natural as features of their menu. Whether they fully meet their implied promise is an open question; but they have moved in that direction and marketed
it brilliantly.

Additionally, they've a had a strategy of keeping upfront franchise costs relatively low; well below what their peers charge, making then a logical entry point for someone who aspires to own/operate one or more fast food outlets.

This is what I'm talking about:

1651165159897.png

1651165181806.png

Source: https://awincomefund.mediaroom.com/...hises-to-Business-Savvy-Entrepreneurs-by-2020

Compare that to an entry point of $700,000 for a McDs franchise in Canada

BK is structured a bit different in terms of how you invest, their nominal fee is quite low ~50k, but you require a lot more capital than that, ~1M + is typical to my understanding.

Growing up in the 1980s/90s the only stand alone A&W in Ontario i remember was on Hespeler rd in Cambridge, where the Starbucks is. it was one of the last A&W's left over from the olden days.

My dad grew up in the 50s and remembers when A&W had stand alone locations across Ontario, ( drive ins) the girls would bring the food out to your car window on roller skates. My guess Mcdonalds probably killed them off in the 1960s/70s It's nice to see the chain make a come back. I prefer A&W over most of the other burger chains.

Yeah, I remember the Hespeler Road location when it was really one-of-a-kind, back when it retreated out west (including Northwestern Ontario) with the mall food courts otherwise being the only presence.

The expansion came as the chain became an investment trust, which saw the stand-alone stores return, the new branding, and later the hyper-expansion to continue the investment trust’s growth.

Back