171     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 314     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

Well, just found the reason for Ruby Soho's popularity:

View attachment 243896

A nearby coffee shop by day, beer bar by night place has tried to stay open during this time. The coffee and tea is very good - my spouse says they make the best London fog. The owner is trying to sell tall cans of beer and cider, but at the regular full price. You can get the same things for retail price at the Metro around the corner.

At least the prices above are comparable with single retail, so I can see the attractiveness of this place.

Indigenous restaurant, NishDish at 690 Bloor St W is closing:

Even the Guardian has an article about NishDish:

There really needs to be more First Nations restaurants in the city (and I'm not referring to faux First Nations restaurants that happen to be themed to the First Nations while lacking any First Nations ownership or consultation).

Last edited:
70% of Restaurants in Canada will have a Liquidity Crisis Within the Next 3 Months

May 08, 2020

A new survey from Restaurants Canada says about seven out of 10 restaurants in the country are either very or extremely worried that their business won’t have enough liquidity to pay vendors, rent and other expenses over the next three months.

“Those that were able to remain open for takeout and delivery have demonstrated an exceptional level of responsiveness and innovation while continuing to ensure the health and safety of their staff and everyone they serve,” said Shannon Munro, President and CEO of Restaurants Canada, in an open letter.

“But the creativity and resiliency of our industry won’t be enough to prevent widespread permanent closures as restaurants continue to struggle with insufficient cash flow and insurmountable debt.”

I used to spend a couple of thousands a month in restaurants until I became celiac. Now I cook every day. If anything, people will think twice before buying condos with tiny kitchens. I literally have at least as much counter space in my rental as the penthouses for sale at 1 Bloor W.

The two Texas BBQ places in the east end that are focused on smoked brisket sandwiches are doing pretty well.

Adamson BBQ in Leaside and Beach Hill smokehouse at Main and Gerrard.

As with many things, I think the key is that you have to execute at a fairly high level, fairly consistently, and be seen as good value for money.

I have never made it out to their Main & Gerrard location so I was happy to see a "coming soon" sign today for Beach Hill Smokehouse at 429 Danforth Avenue. More bbq is good and hopefully they can open soon. (When the owner of Adamson was tweeting craziness recently many suggested Beach Hill as an equal/better choice.).

IMG-3257.jpg

I have never made it out to their Main & Gerrard location so I was happy to see a "coming soon" sign today for Beach Hill Smokehouse at 429 Danforth Avenue. More bbq is good and hopefully they can open soon. (When the owner of Adamson was tweeting craziness recently many suggested Beach Hill as an equal/better choice.).

View attachment 244869

Tweeting aside, I think Adamson makes the slightly juicier brisket; though Beachhill is excellent.

Beachhill though definitely has the better sides w/jalapeno coleslaw and fully loaded beans.

The tweeting thing was worse than unfortunate, and if nothing else should be a reminder to all business owners that your business profiles on social medial are NOT for discussing politics or issues writ large.

They sure as hell aren't for childish name calling and arguments.

I don't really know the owner of Adamson (we've met in passing), but I do know his family.

They've been through a hell of a lot the last few years; which does not excuse the weird, hurtful, childish nonsense on social media at all.

But does make it seem that much more sad.

I'm much closer to Beachhill's current location and they tend to get more of my business by virtue of that.

I haven't made any final decisions on Adamson.

He did publicly apologize for the outburst.

But as with any apology, it doesn't un-do what was said/done.

Last edited:
Emma's Back Porch in Burlington is history after 30 yrs. I think I was there once or twice (not really my hood) but have a hazy recollection of it being a good time.

Back