News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 387     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

Not sure if many people on here ever went there or not – but McCarthy’s Irish Pub at 1801 Gerrard Street East is closing its doors on Saturday.
A real shame as it was one of the few authentic Irish pubs in the city.

So the pub that is replacing McCarthy's is set to open on June 4th

6IS4hes.jpg

Mr.Sub will be relaunching many stores nationwide as "fast-casual" in the upcoming months

What does that even mean?
According to Wiki: "A fast casual restaurant is a type of restaurant that does not offer full table service, but promises a higher quality of food and atmosphere than a fast food restaurant. It is a relatively new and growing concept positioned between fast food and casual dining. The typical cost per meal is in the $8–$15 range.[1]" I was recently in the US and actually ate in several places that would probably describe themselves that way; often one orders at a counter but someone brings your food to you when it is prepared. " The Fresh Corn Grill in West Hollywood - a great place - being a good example: http://www.freshcorngrill.com/main.html

So ... Panera and Williams come to mind?

I was reading somewhere that Panera in particular is doing very well in the US -- people prefer it to the longer waits of places like Red Lobster. The one where I spent some Florida time this past winter was always lined up.

What does that even mean?

Basically places like Sliced Gourmet (their warm items, anyway), Delica Kitchen, etc... I assume. Even Michel's Bakery/Baguette and Big Smoke Burger could be termed "fast casual," I guess... Order at the counter, wait and they'll bring it to the table (or call your number).

I guess Tim Horton's is the best example of the "fast-casual" trend and KFC are doing it with KFC Select...I guess they need a new plan as Subway has totally dominated them in the past 20 years...I don't think I've seen a new Mr.Sub location downtown since in that time...but I was shocked to read in magazine this week that they still have over 300 locations in Canada!

My first visit to Panera, earlier this week, was anything but "fast casual"; all we wanted were an espresso and a cup of decaf, but it turned into a 10-minute comedy of errors.

Last edited:
I quit going to Quizno's when they got rid of the torpedo subs. Not everyone wants to spend that kind of money on 9 inch sub when you can go to Subway and get a 12 inch for only $5 bucks.

Back