News   Apr 22, 2024
 802     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 268     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 676     0 

Regent Park

What's with all the litter at the new central park and playground. Perhaps the residents and those using the park need to be reminded that this is not some third world dump zone, but a modern, all inclusive park that should be respected. Does the city not clean up litter in parks?

I walked through there today and didn't see any litter. OTOH, leaving my apt building in the area I saw a white, first world man throw a food wrapper into the bushes beside the walking path. WTF?! We live here dude, who do you think is going to clean that up :mad:

I walked through there today and didn't see any litter. OTOH, leaving my apt building in the area I saw a white, first world man throw a food wrapper into the bushes beside the walking path. WTF?! We live here dude, who do you think is going to clean that up :mad:
I share your outrage. As to your question, for starters. how about the man you witnessed? If not the litterers themselves, or the passerbys such as you and I, then perhaps the property owners or the city?

I walk through the park and playground several times a week with the kids and I am surprised you did not see the disposable food and drink containers (cans, cups, bottles, etc.), scraps of newspapers and flyers, empty chip bags and all other sorts of litter just thrown about.

What's with all the litter at the new central park and playground. Perhaps the residents and those using the park need to be reminded that this is not some third world dump zone, but a modern, all inclusive park that should be respected. Does the city not clean up litter in parks?
Third world?

I'm not sure that's the best choice of words given the demographics in the area.

Last edited:
nfitz, you sure like to act like you're some sort of manners police, but you're not the best exemplar for anyone to be taking lessons from on polite discourse. If this comment is racist then I apologize. Have a good day sir.

Last edited:
Hey All,

So the Catholic School on the North East corner of Shuter and Parliament has been demolished (wasn't sure where to put this, as it's sort of a Corktown, Regent Park, Moss Park convergence point). Does anyone know what's plan for this space? Saw a rumor on Reddit that the Catholic school board sold it to the Salvation Army. I sure hope not.

That was Regent Park/Duke of York Junior Public School, not a Catholic school.

Shame it was demolished, as the Regent Street facade had some flair. But I understand from a friend who until recently taught there that the building was just rotten.

ETA: Found the UT thread here. Apologies - it wasn't a Catholic school, but the Catholic school board appears to have purchased the site.

Duke of York.png

Attachments

• Duke of York.png
    Duke of York.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 778
Last edited:
Yeah, I've been wondering about the Regent Park/Duke of York school site too - not just what's happening next, but what's happened recently. The school was a TDSB school when it was operating, but there was recent signage describing it as Catholic Board property - though the building never appeared to be in use after TDSB moved out. And now the building is gone, but I haven't seen planning notices or any other indicator of what's coming in next. (I e-mailed the TDSB school trustee to see if she knew anything, but she never responded.)

It's a sizable chunk of the neighbourhood, and it would seem like a missed opportunity if it were re-done separately from the Daniels-led redevelopment.

Maybe the city planner for this geography would know something.

Yeah, I've been wondering about the Regent Park/Duke of York school site too - not just what's happening next, but what's happened recently. The school was a TDSB school when it was operating, but there was recent signage describing it as Catholic Board property - though the building never appeared to be in use after TDSB moved out.
Cabbagetown neighbours of mine advise the closest Catholic elementary school is Our Lady Lourdes on Sherbourne, which apparently is at nearly 100% capacity. With all the new construction there could be sufficient students to fill a new Catholic school in the area.

...And this is the point where I wonder how I didn't grasp the appallingly obvious. "Hmm, a school site has been purchased by a school board. With no evidence of an intent to change its use. I WONDER WHAT THEY COULD BE UP TO"

Back