News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 316     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 868     0 

Regent Park

Japan Foundation is hosting a free lecture titled "Revitalization of Public Housing: Challenges and Celebrations in Toronto and Japan" http://jftor.org/event/revitalization-of-public-housing/

From the event website:
Since 2005, there has been a large-scale revitalization project underway in Toronto’s Regent Park neighbourhood. Both criticized and celebrated, the revitalization project has faced questions such as: how can we revitalize rather than gentrify the area, how do we relocate residents during construction but not cut them off from their support networks, and how do we increase the neighbourhood’s livability?

Like Regent Park, there are numerous public housing estates in Japan, built after the war to meet significant housing shortages in metropolitan areas. In 1954, the Japan Housing Corporation, a nation-wide public housing and urban development corporation, was established to build public housing.

When: June 4, 2014 @ 6:30pm
Where: Japan Foundation, 131 Bloor Street West, Suite 213
Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 1R1

The Central Park is having it's grand opening on June 21st at 1:30pm

Farmers market returns June 25th

The Central Park is having it's grand opening on June 21st at 1:30pm

Farmers market returns June 25th
Great, thanks for the notice.

There was a stand last year that sold samosa chaat - a broken up samosa on a plate with chickpeas, yogurt, chutney, and a few other flavourful scoops. Best $5 dinner in the city!

When I moved to Regent Park area a few years ago there was not much going for it but now with the pool, the park etc it's a pretty good place to be.

So glad the fencing is finally down! After a swim Monday morning walked through the park, it's quite nice.

I figured UT would do a report on the opening of Regent Park, with pictures. What happened guys, are you slacking off? I want to see some new pics of the finished park. Is the water-play area turned on?

My Lord, you are impatient! 10:46 a.m. on the Monday after the park just opened and you are expecting there to be a front page article written already? It's not always all about you.

The park opened Saturday. Yeah, I was expecting pics by Saturday night. Is that too much to expect? I'm a curious to see how things turned out and if everything is finished.

The park opened Saturday. Yeah, I was expecting pics by Saturday night. Is that too much to expect? I'm a curious to see how things turned out and if everything is finished.

Or you could you know head over and see for yourself?

Maybe take some pictures tomorrow morning when I go for a swim. :)

Water play area not turned on yet; probably this weekend.

Or you could you know head over and see for yourself?

I did just that, last night and it seems that the west side of the park, is still under construction. The playground seems to be just as popular with adults, as it is with the children. Half the people playing on the equipment last night, were over the age of 16. lol (although I went there after 8pm)

Went swimming a few times last week but at 7:00 am wasn't thinking about taking my camera. Did you go into the playground? There's a reason it's such a popular area - the ground is made of a cushioned rubbery material. It's fun just to walk on and I'm sure kids and their parents are happy there is less chance of getting hurt when playing on the equipment.

2vt1stf.jpg

2qwn1pz.jpg

Near southwest corner is a dog park, maybe gets used in the morning.

o5dkzr.jpg

Guess these gardens will be for flowers because it's too late in the season to plant vegetables.

15iam8k.jpg

Not sure what this structure is. Public bathrooms, storage shed? It's a mystery to me.

kbc1z9.jpg

Once the trees branch out and get some leaves they should look better and provide more of a definition to the areas.

b51opy.jpg

Soccer pitch, also looks like a great place for frisbee.

2rfbhif.jpg

I signed up for a session of yoga in the park in a few weeks, that should be enjoyable. :)

Last edited:
It really is amazing. However I am concerned about changes from the original plan that have dramatically increased the height of the towers at the extreme corners of Gerrard and Parliament and Gerrard and River, plus the new increased height of the units along Gerrard between River and Parliament. The northern edge of Regent Park will seem like a fortress as opposed to the original idea of low rise (4-6 stories) along the edge to ease the visual transition from Cabbagetown to Regent.

It really is amazing. However I am concerned about changes from the original plan that have dramatically increased the height of the towers at the extreme corners of Gerrard and Parliament and Gerrard and River, plus the new increased height of the units along Gerrard between River and Parliament. The northern edge of Regent Park will seem like a fortress as opposed to the original idea of low rise (4-6 stories) along the edge to ease the visual transition from Cabbagetown to Regent.

Has there been further changes from this document/revision in 2013: http://www1.toronto.ca/city_of_toro.../pdf/regentpark_tchc_presentation_17sep13.pdf

I know they recently held an update/meeting, but I can't seem to find any documents online.

Back