News   Jul 03, 2024
 72     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 478     1 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 523     0 

Redpath Co-generation Gas Plant (Queens Quay East)

This is the second oldest (updated) thread in my 350+ watched list.
I think I heard that Redpath already had a small co-gen plant. I’m not sure if the larger co-gen plant was ever installed. Maybe that new (10+ year old) stack was for the co-gen plant. I will dig through my archive pictures.

I got this pamphlet in the mail yesterday. Plus a free sugar product coupon.
What’s up? Are they telling the new Sugar Wharf residents that we were here first, long before you? Was there a local action group starting up against them?
IMG_2712.jpeg

IMG_2713.jpeg

IMG_2715.jpeg
Redpath Sustainably Sourced Ethically Grown (promotion video)

In case you’re wondering;
My oldest (last updated) watched thread is Ontario Square and Canada Square on Queens Quay.

This is the second oldest (updated) thread in my 350+ watched list.
I think I heard that Redpath already had a small co-gen plant. I’m not sure if the larger co-gen plant was ever installed. Maybe that new (10+ year old) stack was for the co-gen plant. I will dig through my archive pictures.

I got this pamphlet in the mail yesterday. Plus a free sugar product coupon.
What’s up? Are they telling the new Sugar Wharf residents that we were here first, long before you? Was there a local action group starting up against them?
View attachment 575935

View attachment 575936

View attachment 575937Redpath Sustainably Sourced Ethically Grown (promotion video)

In case you’re wondering;
My oldest (last updated) watched thread is Ontario Square and Canada Square on Queens Quay.
We got the exact same thing.

We got the exact same thing.
This thread caught my attention because many years ago, as a project manager for a European Power Generation equipment supplier, I was involved in supplying a small steam turbine (from Sweden) and an electrical generator (from England) for the Co-Gen plant. I can't remember the MW output (it was a small output) but I remember the sweet smell that permeated the plant.

Redpath was there first and I can't think of any action that could force this plant out of this location. As far as I know, you can't expropriate land to build condos. At some point, the land value could become so great that Redpath will be incentivized to sell the property and move their plant to a smaller port along the St. Lawrence Seaway or Great Lakes.

I have always wondered if purchasers of the condos next to this plant are aware of the inherent risks of living next to a sugar mill. Although rare a dust explosion can level a sugar mill and cause substantial damage to the surroundings.

Imperial Sugar Mill Dust Explosion

This thread caught my attention because many years ago, as a project manager for a European Power Generation equipment supplier, I was involved in supplying a small steam turbine (from Sweden) and an electrical generator (from England) for the Co-Gen plant. I can't remember the MW output (it was a small output) but I remember the sweet smell that permeated the plant.

Redpath was there first and I can't think of any action that could force this plant out of this location. As far as I know, you can't expropriate land to build condos. At some point, the land value could become so great that Redpath will be incentivized to sell the property and move their plant to a smaller port along the St. Lawrence Seaway or Great Lakes.

I have always wondered if purchasers of the condos next to this plant are aware of the inherent risks of living next to a sugar mill. Although rare a dust explosion can level a sugar mill and cause substantial damage to the surroundings.

Imperial Sugar Mill Dust Explosion
I'm convinced that some people won't be happy until any industry that isn't keyboard or work-from-home based is eradicated from the city. 'No land use if good land use unless it for a condo or park'. If Redpath were to leave/forced out, I suspect it would relocate either out of province or out of country. What's their incentive to pay for very limited waterfront industrial property in southern Ontario (it wouldn't go north - added shipping costs and further from market).

I'm actually quite happy for the sugar plant to stay. But there are three asterisks:

1. They (combined with Waterfront Toronto) have got to improve the ground-level experience. The fence is ugly, and the sidewalk is wayyy too narrow.

2. Part of the land will need to be expropriated in order to fit the new QQE LRT. Even then I believe the ROW (particularly the sidewalk) is expected to be narrower than it is in other parts of QQE, which is a shame.

3. I have concerns (or rather, I expect they have concerns) about how they'll be able to operate once the new QQE is built. Currently there are often 18-wheelers idling along QQE, which could not happen once the new QQE is built with one lane each way plus a turn lane. Even now there are 18 wheelers backed up at the entry/exit blocking the entirety of the sidewalk and bike path, and we'd be adding blocking of the dedicated streetcar lane. And lastly, I simply expect traffic along QQE to become absolutely horrible at all virtually all times of day (it already is during rush hour), both because the population will explode once QQE is fully built out and because it'll be narrowed, and I just can't comprehend how 18 wheelers coming in-and-out at all times of day will work.

Last edited:

Back