News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.5K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 325     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 881     0 

RBC Centre (LEED Gold, CadFair, 41s, KPF/B+H/&Co.) COMPLETE

Those figures say that in terms of revenue, RBC is just over 50% more than Scotiabank, not nearly 100% more.

Back to the RBC Centre please.

Right, and revenue is not a measure of the size of a company.

Screw the logo. What I really want to know is: will it have an RBC ATM? I can't find the damn things anywhere.

I thought of this when I was walking past the building today. I saw RBC ATM machines right across the street at 180 Wellington (that brick building with RBC offices), although I'm sure the new building will have ATMs.

Anyway, this glass covering the stairs is rising, although I wish they were using the white glass here. Maybe they'll still use it around the inside edges of this stairway alcove. The renderings show the podium section framed by that white glass. It looks really sharp.

They are installing the glass for the feature stairs.
3202154483_870daf1d1a_b.jpg

Last edited:
Anyway, this glass covering the stairs is rising, although I wish they were using the white glass here. Maybe they'll still use it around the inside edges of this stairway alcove. The renderings show the podium section framed by that white glass. It looks really sharp.

At first glance I thought the glass covering the stairwell was opaque but on closer examination it appears to be as translucent as the rest of the glass on the building. Too bad, I don't think having the stairwell visible from outside the building at night will be all that appealing.

I recall a rendering showing this entire stairway section covered by bare concrete with a logo in the middle (no glass at all), which I thought was a nice break in the glass curtain wall.

slightly disappointing. the render does show a white "frame" around the podium as a well as a more or less solid white break where the stairs should be. indeed, i do think it's a little too much of the same here. i'd like some variance, particularly considering the stairs are just concrete.

The top edge of the podium looks unfinished, so I think it'll still continue the white glass border around the podium. For the same reason, I think we can expect white glass to line the inner walls of the inset stair alcove.

You guys look at at newly installed drywall and proclaim "Yuck... I hate the colour". The architects have a decent reputation.... I'm pretty sure they didn't look at a recent photo and scream "holy sh!tskabob... who put the fire escape stairs there?!!".

I was hoping for it to remain a blank wall with the RBC logo as well. It's very disappointing so far how they're doing that.

I agree with the above comments, the white glass in the renders looked way cooler. I never saw the earlier renders with the bare concrete, but I like the sound of it. (I am not implicitly asking anyone to re-post the render - I am too lazy to go back through the old posts to find it and so I don't expect anyone else to do so.)

At least they are using a different pattern from the rest of the podium; however, I like the pattern on the podium offices much better. The near-pefect squares covering stairs are pretty unadventurous...especially given that the stairwell is capped (from a distance) by one of the ugliest mechanical sheds to grace a new building in the downtown core in quite some time.

What render are you guys talking about? In both renders I've seen you can clearly tell that the void in the podium is faced with translucent glass:

2n85s1c.jpg

and:

RBC%20Centre.JPG

I don't believe the frame around the podium is white glass either, I'm pretty sure it's going to be metal like the already-installed louvers.

simcoe_ii_rbc_podium.jpg

I can't find any close up renders that appeared to be concrete in the middle right now though.

Last edited:
I can't imagine why they wouldn't use translucent glass from the renders...who really wants to see a pre-cast concrete fire escpape? If the stairs were more of an architectural feature maybe they would be worth showcasing. Too bad.

/\ I agree. Renzo for example, often showcases the circulatory systems and other 'service' areas his buildings. The New York Times building and Mercedes Buildings in New York and Berlin come immediately to mind, but I'm sure there are others.

0802nytimes_curtain1_lg.jpg

Back