News   Apr 16, 2024
 466     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 828     1 

Question about Toronto secondary suites

JoeUrban

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi, first if this is the wrong place to post this please move as needed.

I'm just investigating the Toronto regulations for secondary suites and one item caught my eye:

150.10.20.1 General
2) Secondary Suite - Number Permitted in a Detached House, Semi-Detached House or Townhouse
Within a detached house, semi-detached house, or townhouse, each dwelling unit may have a maximum of one secondary suite. [ By-law: 549-2019 ]
(3) Secondary Suite - Number Permitted in a Detached House or a Semi-DetachedHouse in the R Zone
Despite regulation 150.10.20.1(2), in the R zone, each dwelling unit in a detached house or semi-detached house may have more than one secondary suite. [ By-law: 549-2019 ]

So 1 suite per dwelling, but it immediately then allows multiple suites in residential zones, at least in detached or semi-detached.
Is the reasoning for this to only allow limited units in areas where residences are being discouraged in general but homes might have been grandfathered in?, ie non-residential zoning?
Or something completely different?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I believe the motivation of that exception is to allow a dwelling unit to have both a basement suite and a laneway suite (so two total secondary suites, in addition to the dwelling unit) within the zoning code.

I couldn't say why the regulation is written to provide exception specifically in just the R zone.

Back