News   Apr 18, 2024
 995     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 406     0 

Queen's Park North Revitalization

A lot of workers on site today. Counted 20+ in just one section.
20180813_143522_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 20180813_143522_HDR.jpg
    20180813_143522_HDR.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 1,612
There is an ample supply of quite comfy benches. Fingers crossed that the beautiful pavers don't begin to heave with the weather.

Per Layton:

Queens Park North

Work has commenced on Phase 2 which is targeted for completion in July 2019. The major feature of this work will be The sidewalk on the south end of the park being reconstructed. You can learn more about the plans and timelines to this project here.

A grand walkway! Looks outstanding. Also the desire path from Hoskin to Vic got asphalt.

View attachment 182459

View attachment 182460

View attachment 182461

My recollection of the master plan was that the grand walk way was to be lined by beautiful flower beds..........this does not seem to be the case........sigh.

The paving treatment of the grand walk way is attractive and well done; though I think putting the lighting on both sides would be of value in the creating of symmetry.

I'm not keen on seeing asphalt paving, it's better than a beaten in desire line; but it should be a thematic continuation of the interlocking used on the main path, in my opinion.

Last edited:
agree about planting vs light.

Some lighting in lieu of flowers would be perfect (most plantings last a few months -there are some that do better) before being spaded up with usual signs and trucks - better some light that compliments a fine paving effort without interruption... mind you a few of easy to maintain (at grade or above) substantial pots of garden goodies wouldn't hurt ;-) The hanging versions the city does are, rather miraculous in good weather.

i like that they included a lot of benches. I'm unsure about the paver colour but that was probably selected to match with the Legislative Assembly. Shame about the lighting being only one one side, would have felt more grand with a symmetrical approach.

Old UT'ers may remember my love for our parks, it's been hell staying out of Queen's Park - but I wanted to experience it once it was done. Alias, I couldn't wait any longer, and I entered yesterday. There's still a lot of fence up, but the improvements are clearly visible. Queen's Park looks and feels like a big city park now. There's tons of places to sit, improved and added walkways, main entrances offer a sense of arrival, dozens of new trees planted, the King Edward VII Equestrian Statue finally gets the respect it deserves with a beautiful podium vs. sitting atop a mound of dirt and the grass looks better, perhaps because it hasn't been walked on for a year. I don't know what's happening with the water feature at the south-west corner of the park, it sits behind a fence, dry and sad looking - I expect removal, we don't do fountains well in this city. All round a huge success. I can't wait until fall to walk through with my dog and enjoy this unique and updated space.

Back