News   Jul 16, 2024
 17     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 242     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     3 

Queen's Park North Revitalization

Anyone know what's going on here? They appear to have removed the sidewalk along queens park circle on the inside of the circle.. Streetview shows it as having previously been interlocking brick. There seems to generally be a bunch of cheap, half thought out improvements to the park as a whole as well, that I didn't grab photos of.

View attachment 67640

I know @innsertnamehere's post is from almost a year and a half ago (I'm only seeing it now since this thread became active again), but I am quite annoyed by this. Why would anyone take out a perfectly good sidewalk and replace it with sod? I see pedestrians have since created a dirt desire path where the actual sidewalk used to be, killing all the grass, but that's of limited use to people with mobility issues (and to everyone in winter when it doesn't ever get cleared of snow, or in spring and fall when it is likely muddy).

Last edited:
Here are some renders/slides from that old presentation AoD linked to a few posts back; I bike around the park every day and am very excited about the facelift. It's both very well-used and badly falling apart. Tough to tell (at least for me) from that tender call precisely how much of the below is encapsulated in this round of improvements, save for the three items explicitly identified as being outside the scope of this current project: Wellesley St. improvements, a cafe, and a pedestrian-priority entrance at the Highlanders Entrance.

upload_2017-6-15_17-6-1.png

upload_2017-6-15_17-7-2.png

upload_2017-6-15_17-7-34.png

upload_2017-6-15_17-8-0.png

upload_2017-6-15_17-8-21.png

upload_2017-6-15_17-9-34.png

upload_2017-6-15_17-9-54.png

upload_2017-6-15_17-10-21.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-15_17-6-1.png
    upload_2017-6-15_17-6-1.png
    902.5 KB · Views: 866
  • upload_2017-6-15_17-7-2.png
    upload_2017-6-15_17-7-2.png
    991.5 KB · Views: 897
  • upload_2017-6-15_17-7-34.png
    upload_2017-6-15_17-7-34.png
    1 MB · Views: 866
  • upload_2017-6-15_17-8-0.png
    upload_2017-6-15_17-8-0.png
    818.3 KB · Views: 846
  • upload_2017-6-15_17-8-21.png
    upload_2017-6-15_17-8-21.png
    434.6 KB · Views: 851
  • upload_2017-6-15_17-9-34.png
    upload_2017-6-15_17-9-34.png
    539.4 KB · Views: 833
  • upload_2017-6-15_17-9-54.png
    upload_2017-6-15_17-9-54.png
    1 MB · Views: 820
  • upload_2017-6-15_17-10-21.png
    upload_2017-6-15_17-10-21.png
    870.6 KB · Views: 840
I've been waiting for this kind of revitalization since I was a U of T student. It's a park that should be grand and stately yet comfortable and accessible. Instead, it has been underwhelming and shabby for at least the past decade.

I've been waiting for this kind of revitalization since I was a U of T student. It's a park that should be grand and stately yet comfortable and accessible. Instead, it has been underwhelming and shabby for at least the past decade.

A lot longer than that!

I was @ U of T....well...............before you, LOL

I will tell you the current lighting was an upgrade done a while back.

The benches and paths have been an ill-conceived mish-mash for a long time.

With this going ahead, substantial work contemplated for both Moss Park and Allen Gardens it's entirely possible that all the 'major' parks downtown will be up to standard in the next 5 or so years.

What a thought.

Now, can it be maintained to said standard? and Can we spread upgraded design to more parks outside the core?; and the small ones in the core.......

I see a natural forest area is contemplated in the design, I hope they plant Trilliums.....

Contract being awarded to Somerville which is good news as they are the guys who did Berczy Park.

Award of Tender 158-2017 to Somerville Construction Ltd. for Queen's Park North Improvements
Origin

(September 11, 2017) Report from the Director, Purchasing and Materials Management
Recommendations
The Director, Purchasing and Materials Management recommends that the Bid Award Panel grant authority to award the following contract:

Call Number:

Tender Call No.158-2017

Description:

The supply of all Labour, Materials, Equipment and Supervision required to complete Queen's Park North Improvements, on behalf of the Parks Forestry and Recreation Division of the City of Toronto

Recommended Bidder or Proponent:

Somerville Construction Ltd.

Contract Award Value:

$4,405,874 net of all applicable taxes and charges

$4,978,637, including HST and all applicable charges

$4,483,420 net of HST recoveries

Contract is expected to start following award and end on December 31, 2018.

Updated city website:

Moving Forward

Implementation of the Master Plan
The City of Toronto, Park Forestry and Recreation Division is now implementing the approved master plan for Queen's Park North Improvements.

Schedule and Phased Construction
The majority of the work will take place in the 2018 construction season (May to November 2018, weather permitting.)

The 2018 construction will take place in two phases. During each phase, approximately 50% of the park will be kept open, while the other half is fenced for construction. The first phase of construction will likely take place in the north-west end of the park, and the second phase will take place in the south-east end.

Preliminary work by the contractor may begin in late fall 2017 with a focus on rejuvenating the urban canopy in selected areas of the park. The park will stay open for the winter.

Access During Construction
One east-west path through the park will be maintained during construction, allowing pedestrians to access one route to cross the park.

Periodic updates to construction schedule will be provided on this webpage.

Background
This significant and cherished landscape in the heart of downtown Toronto holds tremendous cultural, social, and ecological value. Queen’s Park North is one of the earliest public parks in Canada, and is home to a significant collection of mature trees, including the some of the largest oak trees in the city. The approved master plan was completed in 2015 following extensive consultation with stakeholders and the public.

The intent of the park improvements master plan is to:
  • Restore walkways and connections to the surrounding community;
  • Regenerate the urban forest;
  • Renew seating and lighting; and,
  • Revitalize community enjoyment of the park
The guiding principles of the plan that emerged through consultation were to: enhance the quality of park destinations; rejuvenate the landscape (including the trees and grass); enhance the park as a place of respite; create a vibrant social heart; create clear hierarchy of paths with upgraded paving materials; and improve seating.

Summary of Park Improvements
A major focus of the improvements is the revitalization of the trees and lawn in Queen's Park North. To achieve this revitalization, the work will include:

• extensive arboricultural works to rejuvenate the health of existing trees including fertilizing, aerating and pruning. with limited removal of trees, primarily in poor health
  • new tree planting of over 90 large- canopy deciduous trees (all native species) to establish the next generation of this significant urban canopy
  • new tree planting of over 70 under-storey deciduous trees (all native species) that feature spring flowers
  • rejuvenation of turf to green with grass seed especially suitable to the park's soil and light conditions (replacing large areas formerly covered in wood mulch)
  • planting of spring flowering bulbs in selected lawn areas near walkways
The coloured Queen's Park North Improvements plan is numbered and includes a legend. Following the numbering system on the plan, the components of park improvements are as follows:
  1. King Edward VII Plaza – new unit paving, extensive new seating with wood and metal benches, completion of the granite seat wall, regrading to remove existing berm
  2. Highlanders of Canada Monument Plaza – new unit paving, new planting at base of monument, new benches
  3. Hoskin Entry Plaza – new unit paving, new benches, new curved limestone wall behind benches
  4. Wellesley Entry Plaza – new unit paving, new benches and a limestone feature wall
  5. Queen's Park Promenade – new unit paving path lined with benches that connects King Edward Plaza with Highlanders Monument
  6. Statue of Al Purdy – remains with new, small paved area at base
  7. Benches – new wood and metal benches throughout the park
  8. Stepped Stone Seat Walls – completion of existing black granite seat wall around Kind Edward statue
  9. Picnic Tables – new picnic tables
  10. Accessible Picnic Table – new picnic table that meets City accessibility design guidelines
  11. Limestone Entry Wall – new curved natural stone wall at Hoskin Plaza Entrance
  12. Recreation / Jogging Path – improvements to limestone-screening jogging path around perimeter of park
  13. Existing Ornamental Fountain – to remain, but will not be refurbished as a working fountain
Additional components of the improvements not numbered on the plan are as follows:
  • conversion of all existing light standards to sustainable LED fixtures, plus additional LED light standards added to increase overall lighting levels in the park (located along walkways)
  • updates to water service in the park and a new bottle filler
https://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/...nnel=55d9dada600f0410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

Large Map: https://www1.toronto.ca/City Of Toronto/Parks Forestry & Recreation/02Parks and Trails/Park Projects and Improvements/Files/pdf/queens-park/queens-park-north-revitalization-plan.pdf

---

Because in Toronto fountains are more ornament than fountain.

AoD

Because in Toronto fountains are more ornament than fountain.

I feel like legitimately 40% of the times I've walked by the ornamental Four Seasons fountain I have heard a passerby saying something to the effect of "why is there no water/this is dumb."

I feel like legitimately 40% of the times I've walked by the ornamental Four Seasons fountain I have heard a passerby saying something to the effect of "why is there no water/this is dumb."

At least that one have the excuse of being designed without the intent to be used as a fountain, not because one can't be bothered with running it as one.

AoD

I wonder how much the impact of park maintenance budget slashing plays into the design and renovation of parks.

"If park elements can't be maintained, why put them there in the first place?"

I hope they coordinate with UofTs front campus remake to create better pedestrian connections.

Very excited about all the new trees, a working fountain would be nice, but if it's a budget thing I'm glad they chose trees.

Back