News   Mar 28, 2024
 94     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 555     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 357     0 

Proposed renaming of Dundas Street

He didn't prove anything, because there was nothing to prove. If your posts are deleted, it will be for valid reasons as per our rules.

No, I figured you'd delete it out of shame. Silly me assuming that.
Why would I be ashamed of what I said?
He didn't prove anything, because there was nothing to prove. If your posts are deleted, it will be for valid reasons as per our rules.
His initial post sounded like a moderator would delete my post because of what I said. @zang later clarified what he was trying to say.

I completely agree with the picture. It's just disappointing how the new left wing cares more about minorities, than its majority population, who still struggle to get by everyday.

The left always seem to put minorities on a pedestal.

The more i hear about it, the less I support it.

I just wanna grill for God's sake.

The fixation on racial delineation as a way of ordering and understanding society (minority vs. majority?) is an obsession shared by the far left and the far right. Apparently you are more closely aligned to the latter?

The fixation on racial delineation as a way of ordering and understanding society (minority vs. majority?) is an obsession shared by the far left and the far right. Apparently you are more closely aligned to the latter?
It does appear that race is a fetish that crosses all political borders.

I‘m an immigrant from the UK. I never really considered myself white, by which I mean I felt an affinity or togetherness with other white folks. I identify as ethnically English, if anything one of the indigenous peoples of Britain. I have no more culturally in common with a Canadian of Norwegian or German descent than that of Jamaican or Pakistani. I appreciate that as a white guy I have unearned privilege when it comes to daily Canadian life and relations with police, etc, but still I‘m me, the individual, then an ethnic English, and of course a Canadian. My white skin never crossed my mind.... Until identity politics and woke culture took over, what two or three years back?

Last edited:
There are groups in Ottawa calling to rename around 30 streets same thing will happen in every major city.

When they rename Dundas a good name would be "Governors Street" for Dundas' alternate historic name The Governor's Road.

Not to reignite the debate over this project.......but I found this amusing:

1642170548566.png

Edit to add:

Culture has a line item for this which is also in the 'not included' category for this year.

Parks has a line for this which IS included in the funded category.

Last edited:
Not to reignite the debate over this project.......but I found this amusing:

View attachment 374751

Edit to add:

Culture has a line item for this which is also in the 'not included' category for this year.

Parks has a line for this which IS included in the funded category.
That is just the cost to the city. There will no doubt residential and business costs and Canada Post might try and recoup its costs as well.

They could always revert back to one of the original names of the merged streets for Dundas Street.

See link.

Between Ossington and Bathurst, Dundas took over a stretch known as Arthur Street that passed north of Trinity Bellwoods Park.
Arthur Street terminated at Bathurst opposite a large property known simply as The Hall. Once owned by Sir Casimir Gzowski, the sprawling, well-manicured plot with its large home was once the nexus of social life in Toronto, thanks to its famous lawn parties.

After Gzowski's death in 1904, the property was sold and carved up to create Alexandra Park and the site of the Toronto Western Hospital. A new road, St. Patrick Street, was created between Bathurst and McCaul through the property.

When Dundas Street arrived, a slight jog between Arthur and St. Patrick streets had to be removed, resulting in the significant kink near Denison Avenue.

At the Grange, when it was still St. Patrick Street, the road sliced off roughly a third of the old property when it cut through to reach McCaul, formerly Renfrew Street. The severed slice of the Grange became housing.
At McCaul, Dundas had to make another slight southward deviation to connect with and absorb Anderson Street, a little road to University Avenue (below).

The route correction is visible today at St. Patrick Street - a road formerly known as Dummer - which received its name presumably as compensation for the loss of the old St. Patrick.

Adding a chicane to Dundas better aligned it with Agnes Street, a road running east from University Avenue, though another slightly staggered intersection was still necessary.
Like old St. Patrick Street at Bathurst, Agnes Street terminated in a T-junction at Yonge Street. To continue east, drivers had to turn south on Yonge then immediately left onto Wilton. Between Yonge and Victoria, Wilton Street was dubbed Wilton Square.

The name would later be changed to Dundas Square to reflect the street's new name - this portion of the street lives on in the southern edge of today's Yonge Dundas Square.
To ease passage for cars and streetcars over Yonge, the city created another significant deviation west of Bond (above). In 1998, the north side of Dundas Square would be opened up to create Yonge-Dundas Square as we now know it.

Continuing east, the defining characteristic of Wilton Avenue was Wilton Crescent, a gentle curve in the road that once formed the northern boundary of Moss Park.
Dundas claimed the remainder of Wilton Avenue - east of Wilton Crescent, over the Don to Boulton Avenue, just past Broadview.

The bridge over the river was originally named for Wilton Avenue before Dundas arrived. It was here, at Riverside, that the new street terminated until after the second World War.
Moving east between Boulton and Jones, Whitby and parts of Dagmar were strung together to allow Dundas to reach Doel Avenue.

Interestingly, the diagonal part of Dundas below Greenwood isn't one of the many deviations that line the street - it was present in 1916 too.

In its final stretch past Greenwood, Dundas was built out of Applegrove Avenue, Ashbridge Avenue, Maughan Crescent, and Hemlock Avenue, which were built around Small's Pond, a long-lost body of water just north of Queen and Kingston.
In all, Dundas Street links 15 former streets in its kinked route across the city.

There is a Gzowski Boulevard (near Fort York), but we could use other suffixes available. (IE. Avenue, Road, Drive, Way, etc.)

Reactions: rbt

Back