News   Apr 19, 2024
 295     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 598     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 717     1 

Proposed renaming of Dundas Street

Maybe we should rename Eglinton, since one of the Earls was involved in destroying a few Indigenous villages in the US? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archibald_Montgomerie,_11th_Earl_of_Eglinton

Oh, and St. Clair is indirectly named after a slaveowner in Uncle Tom's Cabin, Augustine St. Clare. Got to get rid of that one too.

Arthur Wellesley was against the emancipation of Jews when he gave Catholics equal rights, so that's Wellesley and Wellington out. Bathurst as well, and he didn't even agree with giving the Catholics rights.

Lansdowne and Dufferin both oversaw wars in India after becoming Viceroys. And they didn't give India independence, how dare.

Shit, almost forgot the King and Queen.

I have another thought….the British named places to suit their own auditory issues when colonizing. Bombay, now Mumbai…..Peking, now Beijing, etc.

I think I’ll change my address with the city from Toronto, Ontario, Canada…to the original names…Tkaranto, Kanadario, Kanata (First Nation names). That way when my increased (cost of renaming streets) property tax bill is sent…..it won’t find me 😉😂!!!

I also live near Berry Rd and Parklawn. Parklawn is fine, but I have an issue with Berry Rd. I have a few friends and one brother who are highly allergic/anaphylactic to “Berries”. My concern is that they will develop PTSD seeing the street signs when they visit me 😔😏.

Maybe we should rename Eglinton, since one of the Earls was involved in destroying a few Indigenous villages in the US? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archibald_Montgomerie,_11th_Earl_of_Eglinton

Oh, and St. Clair is indirectly named after a slaveowner in Uncle Tom's Cabin, Augustine St. Clare. Got to get rid of that one too.

Arthur Wellesley was against the emancipation of Jews when he gave Catholics equal rights, so that's Wellesley and Wellington out. Bathurst as well, and he didn't even agree with giving the Catholics rights.

Lansdowne and Dufferin both oversaw wars in India after becoming Viceroys. And they didn't give India independence, how dare.

Shit, almost forgot the King and Queen.

Church, St. Patrick, St. George & St. Andrew are insensitive to non-Christians.

University and College are problematically elitist for people who didn't have post-secondary education. :(

Frederick, Victoria, Peter, John, Duncan, Elizabeth, Charles and Isabella all sound very "gendered" for 2021.

Problematic! We need interpretive signs to remind us how offended we all ought to be.

Why not name these streets after workers killed on the job or in construction? I'm tossing this out there because Kelowna just had loss of life linked to cranes and you know until the ethnicity of the dead is known no media outlet is going to bother with the same coverage as say, a condo falling down in Florida, or civil unrest in Cuba and Miami, workers dying on the job just isn't important to our media. Can you image the city losing power, a crane falling down and men who simply went to work in the morning never coming home again?

Why not name these streets after workers killed on the job or in construction? I'm tossing this out there because Kelowna just had loss of life linked to cranes and you know until the ethnicity of the dead is known no media outlet is going to bother with the same coverage as say, a condo falling down in Florida, or civil unrest in Cuba and Miami, workers dying on the job just isn't important to our media. Can you image the city losing power, a crane falling down and men who simply went to work in the morning never coming home again?

We already do this, but only for cops.

Based on the fact that the vote to refer the item (to rename Dundas) failed........I think we can assume this will pass.

1626298022879.png

Screenshot is public but via Matt Elliott's Twitter.

EDIT to Add: Its done. Renaming passes 17-7

Last edited:
This is just the start. Every street in the city could be renamed now. It's going to cost the taxpayers and hurt independent business owners. What a stupid city.

Now the city can sell off the naming rights to all these entities

Shopify Street?
Amazon.ca Square?
CF Eaton Centre Station?

$$$

So when or if they rename it, what would it accomplish? It's so ridiculous how politicians pat themselves on the back for renaming a street??? Or removing a statue of our epic first prime minister John A, who was(a very drunk politician lmao) somehow makes Canada a better place???

What a time to be alive.

So when or if they rename it, what would it accomplish? It's so ridiculous how politicians pat themselves on the back for renaming a street??? Or removing a statue of our epic first prime minister John A, who was(a very drunk politician lmao) somehow makes Canada a better place???

What a time to be alive.
Everyone drank back then, it was safer than water, no one condemns the endless coffee drinking that people do nowadays. I am dreading to think that this internet led renaming may end up with something incredibly stupid.

Back