News   Apr 26, 2024
 136     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 156     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 583     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

My suspicion is that it is probably more tied to socioeconomic status (after controlling for race), There is of course the issue of correlation between race and socioeconomic status...

AoD

That depends on the "race" in question. South and East Asians in the US tend to be of higher socioeconomic status...in a lot of cases of higher socioeconomic status than whites even.

They are thus more likely to have better health and education outcomes than other non-whites.

I don't know where Utah fits into this as I found that place and its people to be friggin weird af when I visited a few years ago and I know they are the centre of a particularly hilarious religion whose holy book reads like the...nvm, my secularism is showing. I'm just wondering if they teach creationism in schools there because what I'm looking at in looking at those rankings is that places that are more open to scientific study of the multiverse (go check out videos on multiple dimensions, it will break your brain!) seem to rank higher as opposed to, say, Alabama, where they quite likely teach creationism in a good portion of schools.

It may not have as much to do with socioeconomic indicators as it would in Canada or elsewhere. Though, we'd have to look at the correlation between socioeconomic status and believing in fairy tales, er, I mean religious belief. It's probable from what I can guess (and me being an arsehole that's what I would guess) that increase in religiosity correlates with decrease in socioeconomic status and thus educational outcome.

That depends on the "race" in question. South and East Asians in the US tend to be of higher socioeconomic status...in a lot of cases of higher socioeconomic status than whites even.

They are thus more likely to have better health and education outcomes than other non-whites.

I don't know where Utah fits into this as I found that place and its people to be friggin weird af when I visited a few years ago and I know they are the centre of a particularly hilarious religion whose holy book reads like the...nvm, my secularism is showing. I'm just wondering if they teach creationism in schools there because what I'm looking at in looking at those rankings is that places that are more open to scientific study of the multiverse (go check out videos on multiple dimensions, it will break your brain!) seem to rank higher as opposed to, say, Alabama, where they quite likely teach creationism in a good portion of schools.

It may not have as much to do with socioeconomic indicators as it would in Canada or elsewhere. Though, we'd have to look at the correlation between socioeconomic status and believing in fairy tales, er, I mean religious belief. It's probable from what I can guess (and me being an arsehole that's what I would guess) that increase in religiosity correlates with decrease in socioeconomic status and thus educational outcome.

There appears to be a fair amount of so-called " religiosity " in the States that crosses all socioeconomic boundaries. It reminds me of a Gary Larson cartoon showing scientists peering through glass at a bunch of wierdos, saying something like...yes they're all fools, but the question is , what kind of fools are they.

Hallway medicine... Ford-style.

When Health Minister Christine Elliott needs to see Ontario's hallway medicine problem in action, she doesn't need to travel very far, as one of the province's most overcrowded hospitals is in her riding.

Southlake Regional Health Centre in Newmarket is one of Ontario's largest, with 502 beds. It's also among the hospitals most frequently filled beyond capacity, according to an investigation by CBC News into the hallway healthcare situation province-wide.

Data obtained from the Ministry of Health show that Southlake was over capacity for all but seven days in the first half of 2019. In that time period, the hospital's average daily occupancy ran at 110 per cent.

That did not improve in the second half of the year, according to figures provided by the hospital, averaging 113 per cent.

A visit to Southlake this month reveals patients housed in a range of what are officially called "unconventional spaces," including a former exercise gym and a conference room.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...edicine-hospital-southlake-regional-1.5437444

Last edited:
So, we weren't prepared? Not surprised...

Nope. this has nothing to do with preparedness, nor is it the fault of any politician. This is an expected development - and screening doesn't mean an asymptomatic carrier will get detected either.

AoD

Last edited:
So, we weren't prepared? Not surprised...

The public health agencies were prepared. Following dated January 22, 2020.

Canadian health agencies ramp up preparations for deadly coronavirus, as China closes transport networks

From link.

Canadian public health agencies are ramping up preparations to deal with a new viral illness that has killed 17 people and infected more than 400 in China and has spread to other countries, including one case in the United States.

The previously unknown coronavirus strain is believed to have emerged from an animal market in the central Chinese city of Wuhan, with cases now detected as far away as the United States. Wuhan is closing its transport networks and advising citizens not to leave the city, state media reported on Thursday.

Health officials have said there are no confirmed cases of the emerging coronavirus in Canada, but public health agencies say they would not be surprised if the bug does makes its way here — or already has.

Dr. David Williams, Ontario’s chief medical officer of health, notes the virus comes from the same family that can lead to the common cold. It’s also the same family that caused the outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS, 17 years ago.

That outbreak killed 44 people in Canada and more than 900 worldwide, but Williams says the country is “much better prepared” than it was in 2003.

“The system is on alert, all the things are in place and we’re monitoring,” he told The Canadian Press. “If it’s a false alarm for Canada, so be it.”

From link. Published Saturday, January 25, 2020 5:42PM EST Last Updated Saturday, January 25, 2020 8:55PM EST

Ontario’s chief medical officer has confirmed Canada’s first "presumptive positive" case of coronavirus.

In a news conference Saturday, officials said the patient, a man in his 50s, fell ill after travelling to Wuhan, the Chinese city at the heart of the outbreak. The patient is in stable condition in a negative pressure room at Toronto’s Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre.

While the man tested positive for the virus during initial tests, officials noted that secondary testing at Canada’s National Microbiology Laboratory is required to confirm the case.

Officials in Ontario have been in contact with Canada’s public health agency and are working in collaboration with Toronto Public Health to “prevent any spread” of the virus. However, officials doubled down on concerns surrounding the presumptive case, noting that “the risk to Ontarians is still low.”

According to officials, the man took a flight within China from Wuhan to Guangzhou. From there he flew to Toronto, arriving on Jan. 22.

He travelled from the airport to his home by private transportation and did not take public transit, according to officials.

Within a day, he began to feel ill and asked a family member to call 911. Paramedics were notified of his travel history and arrived “fully protected” to transport him to hospital.

Sort of off topic on the off topic but what's with all these novel virus strains passed on from animals coming out of China? Why there?

Sort of off topic on the off topic but what's with all these novel virus strains passed on from animals coming out of China? Why there?
A massive poor agrarian population and an increasing demand for meat as a protein from the growing urban middle class. That combined with an inspection process that’s susceptible to greater failure, bribery and ignorance.

Chinese farmers have a lot of contact with their animals. If there’s one good thing that western livestock production has been able to do is remove as many humans from the supply chain as possible. It means less chance of viruses leaping from animal to human. That said, our system had its issues, especially with bacteria.

Close proximity to domesticated carrier animals (esp. chicken and pigs - source of flus), fondness for exotic game meats (ironically for supposed health benefits) that are reservoirs of viruses. The latter is how SARS got started - it went from bat to civet cats to human. Sheer population density also meant that if anything spreads, it spreads fast - and this is like the worst time for it (CNY is bigger than US Thanksgiving in terms of movement of people)

People really need to stay away from game/exotics - and bats are the absolute worst. Seriously Hollywood usually get science wrong - but Steven Soderbergh’s Contagion was uncannily accurate (if simplified for dramatic reasons). Watch it if you want to freak yourself out (including how misinformation plays a part in the spread of diseases)

AoD

Last edited:

Back