News   May 07, 2024
 381     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 360     1 
News   May 07, 2024
 848     3 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

This is the kind of wedge issue that isn't going to stop PC voters from voting PC, but will stop all other voters including the mushy middle from voting PC.

It doesn't help that they positioned themselves on the wrong side when they increased the class sizes with barely any forewarning and messed up the timetables for tons of students (plus the stupid online course requirement) There is no high ground for them to be had on the education file after that.

But who cares, the Leech wanted Alabama styled education for Ontario - via Hansard:

With respect to the jurisdictions with mandatory online learning, I would point the member to Alabama, to Arkansas, to Florida, Michigan and Virginia. You cited West Virginia as one. I just wanted to build upon it—

Shades of Snobelen "create a crisis" modus operandi? That one is probably off to Hidden Valley playing Marlboro Man now.

AoD

Last edited:
Doug Ford’s Education Minister Can’t Explain How His Own Education Reforms Benefit Kids During Trainwreck Interview

Even Education Minister Stephen Lecce can’t explain the benefits of Doug Ford’s ‘Alabama-style’ education reforms

See link.

Just how bad are the new “Alabama”-style education reforms being forced onto Ontario high school students by Premier Doug Ford?

Well, even Education Minister Stephen Lecce seems unable to point to any concrete educational benefits for students as a result of the plan.

Ford’s government wants to eliminate several thousand jobs for human teachers and replace them with cheap American-style online learning courses.

Educators call Ford’s plan “ludicrous,” noting it has no educational benefits and the Republican states Ford has pointed to as models are already reversing course after they saw student test scores plummet.

In an interview with CBC Radio’s Ottawa Morning Thursday morning, Lecce seemed to become a little grumpy when he was asked to provide “evidence that (Ford’s e-learning plan) is effective as a learning method.”

Host Robyn Bresnahan repeatedly pressed Lecce to name any “pedagogical studies” that support the idea “e-learning is superior or even as good as classroom learning.”

Lecce initially suggested “job creators” told him that the “status quo” is unacceptable, given youth unemployment in Doug Ford’s Ontario.

“You’re saying this is what employers want,” Bresnahan said, pushing back. “But what about for those in the classroom?”

The Ontario English Catholic Teachers’ Association, which represents teachers at Catholic high schools in Ontario, says it has one theory as to why Lecce could not provide Bresnahan with any evidence to support his policy.

“There is a reason why Minister Lecce is not able to offer any research or evidence showing the pedagogical benefits of mandatory e-learning,” OECTA president Liz Stuart told PressProgress.

“Because it does not exist.”

Stuart added that “there is no evidence to indicate that mandatory e-learning creates jobs,” and said “Minister Lecce’s claim that the government deserves credit for moving from a proposed four mandatory courses to two is ludicrous.”

“The government’s plan will have significant consequences for students, especially our most vulnerable,” Stuart stressed.

Ontario NDP education critic Marit Stiles told PressProgress that evidence shows “online-only learning” will instead “disadvantage kids from low-income families or rural areas without broadband at home.”

“And it lowers graduation rates and success rates among students,” Stiles added. “It’s such a bad plan, very few places have made online-classes mandatory.”

“This is yet another ploy to fire teachers and carve funding out of our children’s education.”

The NDP is continuing their tradition of being beat by leaderless Liberals once they finally attain opposition status, I see.

Andrea Horwath needs to go - she is useless. I have no idea why there isn't more of an internal push to get rid of her. She's been leader for way too long, and even now as leader of the opposition she seems invisible. Not inspiring whatsoever. What ever happened to the Ed Broadbent's of this party?

Even without doing any research, does anyone hear "Alabama' and think 'wow, I bet they have the best education system'. Anytime I read about state rankings of healthcare, crime, etc, I'm pretty sure Alabama is consistently bad.

Even without doing any research, does anyone hear "Alabama' and think 'wow, I bet they have the best education system'. Anytime I read about state rankings of healthcare, crime, etc, I'm pretty sure Alabama is consistently bad.
Oh yes, Alabama has some interesting rankings. https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/alabama Let's aspire to be #50 out of 50 (education)

Hmmm, all very northern, and very white...

Could you elaborate on the utility of that observation?

* quick note that Washington is actually more diverse than the average U.S. state and is roughly 24% visible minority.

Last edited:
Could you elaborate on the utility of that observation?

* quite note that Washington is actually more diverse than the average U.S. state and is roughly 24% visible minority.

I would note that the presence of a potentially larger proportion of institutionalized "white privilege" exists in these states, which could explain their place at the top of the rankings.

I would note that the presence of a potentially larger proportion of institutionalized "white privilege" exists in these states, which could explain their place at the top of the rankings.

I think that's a bit of a reach.

A fairer read, in respect of diversity, would simply be that less diverse states have fewer people who have been victims of discrimination and/or are children of same.

But the ratings generally pertain to things like education systems, employment rates and crime.

My suggestion was (party tongue-in-cheek) that Canada's influence has induced a more progressive political climate, helping to produce and nurture those better stats.

Last edited:
I think that's a bit of a reach.

A fairer read, in respect of diversity, would simply be that less diverse states have fewer people who have been victims of discrimination and/or are children of same.

But the ratings generally pertain to things like education systems, employment rates and crime.

My suggestion was (party tongue-in-cheek) that Canada's influence has induced a more progressive political climate, helping to produce and nurture those better stats.

My suspicion is that it is probably more tied to socioeconomic status (after controlling for race), There is of course the issue of correlation between race and socioeconomic status...

AoD

Back