News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 658     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 305     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Correction, politicians need a talking point. It isn't just populists who yammer on about nothing concrete.

Correction to my correction, some politicians...of all types.....

This isn't only a populist demagogue's disease. It's a disease of poor public discourse and political non-speak and spin and grimy salesmanship. Poor oratory and cheap gimmicks are the standard in politics these days.

Through luck and timing Doug Ford captured the fractured PC leadership. Whether through " grimy salesmanship ", and " Poor oratory and cheap gimmicks ", it's Doug Ford's territory now - boldness got him here, but only this far. The other parties will expose this populist parvenu and it won't be pretty. Fasten your seat belts, it's just begun.

I think this election is going to piss off a lot of people posting here because it will be dominated by what kind of change Ontario wants. If Doug shuts up and just exists he will win in a landslide. The interesting thing of course is that we all know Doug can’t shut up and everything he says will make him less electable. That does open the door for change galvanizing around Andrea Horwath as the most likeable of the leaders. That could put us into a PC minority position. Nothing I hear on the street among right, centre, or left voters makes me believe people are interested in anything the ruling Liberal government of Wynne has to say.

Screen Shot 2018-03-17 at 2.01.23 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-17 at 2.01.23 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-03-17 at 2.01.23 PM.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 511
I think this election is going to piss off a lot of people posting here because it will be dominated by what kind of change Ontario wants.

It's already pissing me off. Mainly because my vote doesn't matter (I'm a vinyl aficionado, I reserve the right to sound like a broken rekkid). That and it's being mainly contested by a demagogue and a vote-buying party. What grand choices!
This will, of course, result in people voting for a demagogue or voting for a vote-buyer as a vote against a demagogue or a vote for because it was solidly bought with cheap promises. Cynical doesn't even begin to describe the political situation.

It's going to be a bunch of "What am I getting out of these people?" instead of what it should be: "What are these people going to do to aid in the progression of society?". A bunch of non-speak talking points about "efficiencies" and a bunch of "Look what we're doing for you now!" (see: upcoming Throne Speech).
A bunch of politicos playing to people's most selfish wants and maybe a few needs. Putting people into silos of apparently contradictory goals (see: blah, blah, blah, latte, blah, elites and "middle class champions!" talk).

It will see some damn cynical politicking and possibly ugly rhetoric.

It will only be interesting insofar as watching a trainwreck or car crash may be, not because I expect any sort of substantial and meaningful progression to come out of it.

It will be a farce and a fraud. I wasn't expecting any better so I'm not going to pretend I'm surprised.

Can't wait to go to my local candidates' meeting to self-flagellate and roll my eyes whilst my ears are filled with such a high level of bullshit that I start relating to the lard-blob of London.

Of course, I'm just an "elite" (LOL!) with silly high-minded ideas which are irrelevant when people can't pay their bills because:

1. Their debts are too high (which is now everyone's fault and problem for some reason)
  2. They're under- or unemployed (a legitimate reason for worry unless ^)
  3. They can pay their bills but refuse to make personal choices that would aid in this
  4. They're poor (a legitimate reason, but I don't think any of these pols actually care about poor people)
Of course, reasons 1. and 3. will be what the pols play to which is sad. Those people don't need help or government intervention, they need a financial planner and possibly psychologist.

I'm middle-income and in pretty serious debt. This is no one's fault but my own and I don't expect any government intervention on my behalf, least of all intervention that will lead to negative financial outcomes for society in the context of government. For example, magically slashing hydro bills with seemingly magic dollars from the ether.

Wait, you know what, I'm not even pissed off about the election, I actually think I stopped caring a long time ago. My voice doesn't matter anyway, why waste my time?

Last edited:
Gosh darn, I can’t make so anyone wishing to attend the “unity rally” is free to use my invite!

Gosh darn, I can’t make so anyone wishing to attend the “unity rally” is free to use my invite!

I could go protest or something and maybe have him yell about punching me in the face and dragging me out a la Trump back when. Good times. Nah, I have better things to do with my time.

I just got a survey about Ontario politics. When I indicated I had serious doubts about Doug’s policies, I got disqualified. I guess only fans can complete the poll.
Whoa...was it by phone?

Edit to Add: If this has happened to you, it will have happened to others. There's a bit of a silver lining to this though, as it gives latitude to disregarding the latest polls.

Any details you can add very valuable. They are required by law to identify which org it is doing the polling.

Last edited:
Online. Through Legerweb so no way to know who sponsored it.
This may or may not be "the tip of the iceberg". I suspect it is, but have to do a lot more digging.

This is interesting:
https://www.surveypolice.com/legerweb

Must run right now, but will dig further later. *Even if* this is not directly accountable to Ford, this methodology might well be indicative of why polls in the last few years have been so wildly inaccurate. They're 'counting the converted'.

My sixth sense is buzzing...

I have done a number of polls over the years related to elections. This one was quite different.

I have also done polls for Legerweb for years with no issues. I actually found them via that Survey Police site.

They are simply a conduit. They are paid to push out surveys to their members. The sponsoring organization determines criteria

I have done a number of polls over the years related to elections. This one was quite different.

I have also done polls for Legerweb for years with no issues. I actually found them via that Survey Police site.

They are simply a conduit. They are paid to push out surveys to their members. The sponsoring organization determines criteria
I can't help but wonder though: (Note the proviso they themselves state *after* the headline story)
New online poll suggests Tory leader Doug Ford top pick for Ontario premier
Canadian PressMore from Canadian Press

Published:March 17, 2018

TORONTO — A new online poll suggests more Ontario voters would choose Tory leader Doug Ford for premier rather than Kathleen Wynne or Andrea Horwath.

A survey conducted this week — just days after Ford was chosen to lead the Ontario Progressive Conservatives — shows 24% of participants believe the populist politician would make the best premier out of the three party leaders.
[...]
The poll was conducted online by Leger between March 12 and 14, and involved 1,008 Ontario adults eligible to vote.

The polling industry’s professional body, the Marketing Research and Intelligence Association, says online surveys cannot be assigned a margin of error as they are not a random sample and therefore are not necessarily representative of the whole population.
http://torontosun.com/news/provinci...leader-doug-ford-top-pick-for-ontario-premier

The polling industry’s professional body, the Marketing Research and Intelligence Association, says online surveys cannot be assigned a margin of error as they are not a random sample and therefore are not necessarily representative of the whole population.
Indeed....and enquiring minds are asking questions, such as 'how widespread is this practice of stating that it isn't scientific after blurting it out as fact'?

Fake news anyone?

Absolutely not random. Legerweb, Angus Reid, Ipsos, etc all send out surveys to a pre-existing membership.

However, if they are now disqualifying responses based on who you would/would not vote for, they are even less random.

Back