News   Apr 25, 2024
 247     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 385     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 582     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Yeah it's reality, people are dishonest, what a shocker.

Oh forgive me, my right wing opinion doesn't align with your left wing opinion, therefore my opinion isn't reality, forgive me please.
Your question was totally not realistic, people are being kind by calling it bizarre. This has nothing to do with any political affiliation.

Last edited:
As I said in my post, I don't hate unions, I hate how they've become, especially in Ontario, the amount of storys I've heard of some union workers and absolute laziness and how they played the system.

Again I repeat, I don't hate unions, they have a purpose to protect the worker from its employer.
Again, why do you assume those people wouldn't get away with not working if they worked in a non unionized environment?

Those people would exist either way. The union exists to protect everyone, regardless of how much personal merit you believe they have as an employee, from working themselves to death in the name of the almighty Dollar. If it means that a few bad apples are allowed to carry on as they were, well, the alternative is much worse.

Your question was totally not realistic, people are being kind by calling it bizarre. This has nothing to do with any political affiliation.
My apologies then. The post came across as a snarky, and I got defensive.

Again, why do you assume those people wouldn't get away with not working if they worked in a non unionized environment?

Those people would exist either way. The union exists to protect everyone, regardless of how much personal merit you believe they have as an employee, from working themselves to death in the name of the almighty Dollar. If it means that a few bad apples are allowed to carry on as they were, well, the alternative is much worse.
Oh yeah I agree with you, until you start to realize that your taxes are paying their wages, which I don't have an issue with as long as it isn't misused but then you have those CEOs and other MBAs hogging all the funds before it even gets to the teachers. But maybe I'm wrong and that's not how it works.

Thats why I also believe we need to restructure our education system from scratch, you can start by merging the catholic school boards with the public one, we would save alot of money by getting rid of duplicate roles. Maybe others here can give input into that idea.

If he thinks they should not be permitted to strike because they are essential to the operation of this province then he should make them essential workers. The problem is that he will not because that would mean arbitration and higher wages.
Not true.
See: the nurses

Oh yeah I agree with you, until you start to realize that your taxes are paying their wages, which I don't have an issue with as long as it isn't misused but then you have those CEOs and other MBAs hogging all the funds before it even gets to the teachers. But maybe I'm wrong and that's not how it works.
All citizens deserve representation. Even the useless ones. You have to look at it differently - the union is there to represent their membership, the good and bad ones. Their job isn't to represent management - they can do that themselves perfectly fine.
Do we complain that our tax dollars provide legal aid and representation for criminals?

I have worked around unions and in the private sector my entire career, and there are plenty of useless workers in private sector. That the public sector is rife with these people and private is a bastion of efficiency is one of the greatest myths ever told.

Just think about the stereotypical boomer complaining about millenial workers being flakes, not willing to work, etc
You think all those millenials are in unions? Hardly any of them are.

When you purchase any good or service, including those from myriad private-sector businesses, your money goes to both any number of hardworking people, doing their best, with varying success; both on the 'front lines' and in the executive suite.

When you buy goods at a supermarket; you're paying for all the losses that walk out the door; you're paying for all the product spoilage too (much of which is preventable); you're paying for bad management, poor scheduling, bad ordering policies, and some seriously bad decisions from time to time; totally apart from some truly breathtakingly excessive compensation for the C-Suite set.

All of that is in the price of every pkg of Bacon, every bottle of pop and every bag of potatoes. Taxes are no different.

Thats why I also believe we need to restructure our education system from scratch,

for one of the most highly ranked systems on the planet, that would seem rather excessive. There are certainly areas that need improvement, but lets leave that to its own thread, shall we?

you can start by merging the catholic school boards with the public one, we would save alot of money by getting rid of duplicate roles. Maybe others here can give input into that idea.

A fine idea, very popular with voters, but only the Green Party supports the idea, because unless the other parties all agree to the switch, Separate school voters will gang up en masse against the proponent party. None of teams Blue, Red or Orange are willing to take that risk; nor are they willing to agree to change for the common good. So, moot point.

Acknowledging this thread is not about teachers, this Fraser Institute report says:

"Fully three-quarters (75.1 per cent) of all education spending in Ontario public schools is consumed by compensation, which includes salaries, benefits, and pensions. Indeed, 73.4 per cent of the entire increase in education spending of $8.3 billion was allocated to increased compensation costs for both teaching and non-teaching staff in public schools."

I couldn't find a further breakdown by sector or bargaining unit, but will hazard a big guess that the number of CUPE members who are on the Sunshine List is pretty small. If I had to take a bead on a value-for-money review, I would start with the Boards.

Thats why I also believe we need to restructure our education system from scratch, you can start by merging the catholic school boards with the public one, we would save alot of money by getting rid of duplicate roles.
This is an idea I can get behind. From the Ontario government website:

The following are the most recent facts and figures available for Ontario's publicly funded education system.
  • Administration: Ontario's schools are administered by district school boards and school authorities.
  • School boards are divided as follows:
    • 31 English Public
    • 29 English Catholic
    • 4 French Public
    • 8 French Catholic
  • There are 10 School Authorities, consisting of 4 geographically isolated boards and 6 hospital-based school authorities.
  • There is 1 Provincial Schools Authority.
  • There is 1 Consortium.
  • As of 2020-2021, there were 3,962 elementary and 871 secondary schools in Ontario.
Here, we have a Protestant Separate School Board. I don't know if it captured in the above breakdown, but they always seem to have their hand out.

I have no clue what a "hospital-based school authority" is.

I have no clue what a "hospital-based school authority" is.

I'm here to help! LOL

1667859731571.png

I'll jump in here briefly to say the Catholic school board should absolutely go, and that would even fulfill a long-standing obligation we have to the UN after the human rights committee ruled our current school system is discriminatory.

Ontario eduction absolutely should be reformed.

Agreed. I think the requisite butt-covering could be found, if all of Teams Blue, Red and Orange agreed to a binding referendum on the subject. I feel confident a merger would pass, and then no one party could be targeted for that; the Feds would rubber stamp the required constitutional amendment, as they did for Newfoundland and Quebec; and we would instantly have a better balance of capacity among schools; and book savings in the range of 1B-2.2B per year. All of which should be reinvested in the system in improved remedial programs, summer school, help for struggling students and lower class sizes in the middle/upper grades; along with necessary capital investments.

I'll jump in here briefly to say the Catholic school board should absolutely go, and that would even fulfill a long-standing obligation we have to the UN after the human rights committee ruled our current school system is discriminatory.

Ontario eduction absolutely should be reformed.

Agreed. I think the requisite butt-covering could be found, if all of Teams Blue, Red and Orange agreed to a binding referendum on the subject. I feel confident a merger would pass, and then no one party could be targeted for that; the Feds would rubber stamp the required constitutional amendment, as they did for Newfoundland and Quebec; and we would instantly have a better balance of capacity among schools; and book savings in the range of 1B-2.2B per year. All of which should be reinvested in the system in improved remedial programs, summer school, help for struggling students and lower class sizes in the middle/upper grades; along with necessary capital investments.
Absolutely phenomenal, why are we paying for duplicate school services, paying for the same management roles, etc.

It's such a waste of our tax money.

Absolutely phenomenal, why are we paying for duplicate school services, paying for the same management roles, etc.

The answer, originally lies in the Constitution and minority rights. When the country was founded (1867) the political deal reached was essentially one between 'French' and English' and, at the time, that also meant between Catholic and Protestant respectively.

The 'public' school system was, in point of fact, protestant. People tend to forget that. But even when I was a kid (we're talking the 80s here), you recited the Lord's Prayer every single day following O'Canada.
Bible verses were standard material for public speaking. By that time, the schools weren't even thought of as protestant, but those were vestiges of an earlier era yet to be disposed of........

When the constitutional deal was made, outside of a small Irish minority, the assumption was that Catholic schools would be the French Schools and Public/Protestant schools the English Schools.

It was only later, due to extensive immigration from non-French, Catholic countries (notably Italy) that we saw Catholic schools in English Canada become a more significant force, in English education.

Likewise, the secularization of Quebec in the 1960s led to the idea that French wasn't merely for the Catholics, and that was also driven by the exodus of Quebecers into Toronto in the FLQ/PLQ era.

Most of those were anglos, but not all, but many/most spoke French and wanted their kids to retain that ability.

Hence a system now out of step w/the times.

It's such a waste of our tax money.

Is is.

Back