News   Apr 18, 2024
 348     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2K     4 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

CUPE has said they want Ford's caving in in writing. I'm sure Ford thought forcing them to give up the strike first was some kind of save-face move; instead it means his capitulation needs to be written public record.

His word - as we can see in the Greenbelt walk back - means absolutely nothing. I would put little stock even if it is written.

AoD

His word - as we can see in the Greenbelt walk back - means absolutely nothing. I would put little stock even if it is written.

AoD
This is what I'm worried about. I see this as a win for the government. If they don't reach an agreement now its much easier for the gov to spin it as CUPE being unreasonable and this momentum we just had might be lost.

I was hoping Ford would double down here and create a political storm that ultimately might oust him. Now I feel he has way more leverage, and there's nothing to stop him from trampling on our rights again.

To me this is just playing into the government's hand while staving off the inevitable.

While its certainly very tempting to merely assume a measure of stupidity, or arrogance; or red meat to the proverbial base, I would look at the last week through a different lens.

This government, in its first term showed a strategy of releasing multiple controversial policies or actions all at once as a distraction.

If you're paying attention to what the right hand is doing.........you may not see what the left one is up to.

Here we have a week of the NWC and draconian labour legislation; we have gutting Conservation Authorities and Heritage protections, we have ordering Hamilton to expand the urban boundary and sprawl while also shrinking the Greenbelt to the same effect.

Watch not only what sticks here.......it could be one of the above.........hoping people are sufficiently relieved when 1/2 or 2/3 or 4/5 doesn't come to pass, to let the rest slide......

Or it could be something more subtle in the background.

Watch Endangered Species regulations, watch healthcare policy, see what gets gazetted over the next month............

I don't believe in paranoia; but I'm not big on coincidences either..........we've seen this playbook before.

Last edited:
I guess he saw some awful internal polling!
There's rumours floating around that the union and Ministry of Education had both been given a heads up, that the OLRB wasn't ruling in the province's favour. I assume that doesn't get released now.

It's support workers that are striking, not teachers.
Support workers include education workers in classrooms.

According to a recent TDSB ad, duties include:
  • Providing supervision and age appropriate programming for groups of students as part of the Full Day and extended day program as required
  • Collaborating to implement the curriculum and to address individual student’s identified needs, stages of development, and interests
  • Communicating with parents/guardians, students, staff, and others
When I was a kid, we had a word for that - "teacher".

There's rumours floating around that the union and Ministry of Education had both been given a heads up, that the OLRB wasn't ruling in the province's favour. I assume that doesn't get released now.

That was what I was thinking. Ford probably got wind that the strikes were legal (likely because support workers are not deemed essential) and backed off.

Had a ruling come down saying the strikes were legal and Ford not rescinded the legislation he would have torpedoed himself.

That was what I was thinking. Ford probably got wind that the strikes were legal (likely because support workers are not deemed essential) and backed off.

Had a ruling come down saying the strikes were legal and Ford not rescinded the legislation he would have torpedoed himself.
It was honestly such a stupid thing he did in beginning, as much as I despise the unions and its grip on the Ontario government, they've got us by the balls, literally. Now I don't hate the purpose of unions, I hate what they've become, as it's mostly catering to those workers(not all of them) have abused the system by being lazy, and playing the system to their benefit, its disgusting. Something has to be done and what Doug is doing, its not the solution.

But a question i have to ask is %66 of my municipal tax goes to pay for education but does it go straight to the union or does the government get it first?

This is what I'm worried about. I see this as a win for the government. If they don't reach an agreement now its much easier for the gov to spin it as CUPE being unreasonable and this momentum we just had might be lost.

I was hoping Ford would double down here and create a political storm that ultimately might oust him. Now I feel he has way more leverage, and there's nothing to stop him from trampling on our rights again.

To me this is just playing into the government's hand while staving off the inevitable.
Had it gone on longer, Doug merely would have capitulated, but blamed Lecce. Lecce would be kicked out of cabinet for a month, then get another cushy assignment in a minor cabinet shuffle.

It was honestly such a stupid thing he did in beginning, as much as I despise the unions and its grip on the Ontario government, they've got us by the balls, literally. Now I don't hate the purpose of unions, I hate what they've become, as it's mostly catering to those workers(not all of them) have abused the system by being lazy, and playing the system to their benefit, its disgusting. Something has to be done and what Doug is doing, its not the solution.

But a question i have to ask is %66 of my municipal tax goes to pay for education but does it go straight to the union or does the government get it first?

This is a truly bizarre post. Its connection to reality is somewhat tenuous.

Yeah it's reality, people are dishonest, what a shocker.
Here's another shocker: people can be dishonest with or without the help of unions.

There are several people at my retail store (=non unionized) who routinely take 35 minute long 15 minute breaks, stand around staring at their phones instead of work, etc without consequences.

Your rage against unions is completely misplaced.

Here's another shocker: people can be dishonest with or without the help of unions.

There are several people at my retail store (=non unionized) who routinely take 35 minute long 15 minute breaks, stand around staring at their phones instead of work, etc without consequences.

Your rage against unions is completely misplaced.
As I said in my post, I don't hate unions, I hate how they've become, especially in Ontario, the amount of storys I've heard of some union workers and absolute laziness and how they played the system.

Again I repeat, I don't hate unions, they have a purpose to protect the worker from its employer.

Doug Ford is a lazy person who knows how to play the system.

FAUxY2NXEAQCIzf.jpg

Back