News   Apr 18, 2024
 367     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 426     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Japanese multinational, iirc.

And I don't see why there would be any favouritism. Just because he's being lobbied about it by a specific company, doesn't mean only a specific company would stand to benefit.

Do you truly believe that only 7-11 would be allowed to sell booze if the points of sale were expanded?

This just looks like a regular liquor licence application maneouvre.

I might start going back like when we were kids. We used to go for the penny candies and slushies in the 90s....might start going again for the quick-mix access to Brass Monkeys and some fine curb sitting. Now that I'm unemployed....I should kind of return to my roots (poverty and degeneracy).

Last edited:
Japanese multinational, iirc.

And I don't see why there would be any favouritism. Just because he's being lobbied about it by a specific company, doesn't mean only a specific company would stand to benefit.

Do you truly believe that only 7-11 would be allowed to sell booze if the points of sale were expanded?

This just looks like a regular liquor licence application maneouvre.

I might start going back like when we were kids. We used to go for the penny candies and slushies in the 90s....might start going again for the quick-mix access to Brass Monkeys and some fine curb sitting. Now that I'm unemployed....I should kind of return to my roots (poverty and degeneracy). Experience tells us is any negotiation is done in secret they have something to hide. Lobbying the Ford government usually begins with a donation, why would this be any different?
Experience has taught us that anything the Ford government negotiates in secret has to be of advantage to their campaign and his friends. I am not against expanded alcohol sales, but why do these negotiations have to done in secret making It smell like a rotting onion.

Last edited:
Yeah, but what are they hiding exactly?

I know it's everyone's favourite hobby here to think the worst of the Ford government whilst being blind to the failings of other, more preferred, politicos and that's fine, biases are a right as a component of free thought.

But let's look at what we do know here:

Ford met with some 7-11 exec.
Now 7-11 want to sell some Ontario wine and beer in some Ontario locations.
The end.

Nothing nefarious. If anything, Ford was lobbying them to sell our local booze and them selling it at their locations for on-site consumption is something anyone can do through an application to the LLBO for licensing.

There's nothing nefarious going on here, from what we know.

Yeah, but what are they hiding exactly?

I know it's everyone's favourite hobby here to think the worst of the Ford government whilst being blind to the failings of other, more preferred, politicos and that's fine, biases are a right as a component of free thought.

But let's look at what we do know here:

Ford met with some 7-11 exec.
Now 7-11 want to sell some Ontario wine and beer in some Ontario locations.
The end.

Nothing nefarious. If anything, Ford was lobbying them to sell our local booze and them selling it at their locations for on-site consumption is something anyone can do through an application to the LLBO for licensing.

There's nothing nefarious going on here, from what we know.
The governments seem to make it advantageous if they are friendly towards corporate stores instead of the local mom-n-pop stores. Could we get a PRESTO card at the corner store? No, must be Shoppers Drug Mart. Want beer or wine? Use Loblaws, not the use the corner store. Even the cities zoning rules favour the corporations, with requiring stores be located away from residencies (requiring the use of automobiles, instead of walking) and only in strip malls or shopping malls, with their high price leases.

The governments seem to make it advantageous if they are friendly towards corporate stores instead of the local mom-n-pop stores. Could we get a PRESTO card at the corner store? No, must be Shoppers Drug Mart. Want beer or wine? Use Loblaws, not the use the corner store. Even the cities zoning rules favour the corporations, with requiring stores be located away from residencies (requiring the use of automobiles, instead of walking) and only in strip malls or shopping malls, with their high price leases.

Yeah, but this has nothing to do with any of that as it appears to be them going for serving liquor on-site meaning it's a licence application which any "mom and pop" outfit can and does regularly avail itself of.

It's just a bit like "Trump derangement syndrome" on here sometimes but with Ford. It's a bit ridiculous, to be fair.

And this is coming from me: no fan by any stretch of anyone's imagination.

Well now............the Plot Thickens.

Our Premier met with 7-11's Chief Operating Officer on a trip to Texas last year.

A meeting that was not disclosed via press release or itinerary.

I have no problem whatsoever with expanding the points-of-sale for beer and wine.

I do have a problem with favouritism, especially if granted to a U.S. multinational.

I'm with Lucy on this one. Nothing says a classy night out like sitting on a stool next to the Slurpee machine sucking a Laker and chewing on a bag or Doritos.

"If the licences are granted, the alcohol would have to be sold with food and consumed in the store, in what the company describes as "designated consumption areas." Retail sales — such as buying a six-pack to take home — would not be permitted".

Interesting proposition there.

Fine dining chez Sept-Onze.

There better be free Wi-Fi and televisions with Sportsnet and/or TSN as well.

Well now you're talking! Just like they've added a de facto bar to my local Longo's where we can go get lit like Diwali and watch the football when all the locals are full, this would just add such pub overflow capacity at the Sev! I love it.

I'm down, you guys are just boring and staid and stuck in your own ways, that's what's wrong. Learn to degen/bacchanal a little. :p

This is as close to a kiosk as we're likely to get in this still very clearly (judging by you prudes) Victorian town.

I've sat and had pints in central Europe in worse places than at a Sev. You guys would cry about those places....they allowed smoking. booohooooo Can't have that type of bacchanal, society will collapse. :rolleyes:

Look, it's nowhere near my first choice either, but my three fav pubs have closed down forever so I'm open to having some kiosks open up in this more-and-more boring town.

@Towered knows what I'm talking about.

Yeah, private sector can do no wrong...

Texas households face massive electricity bills, some as high as $17K, after winter storm

From link.

Some Texans say they're getting massive electric bills following the winter storm that caused chaos throughout the state this past week.

NBC News reports that some Texans are getting bills as high as $10,000, while local ABC News affiliate WFAA in Dallas says one man's bill shows him owing more than $17,000.
Jose Del Rio told NBC News that the bill for his two-bedroom home is usually between $125 to $150 a month, but this month his bill exceeded $3,000. Rio claims the house, which is empty and for sale, only ran the heater at 60 degrees to prevent pipes from freezing, but that lights and other utilities remained turned off.

Another woman told NBC that her one-bedroom apartment usually uses enough electricity to result in a $63 bill, but her next bill is projected to be as much as $133.
A Willow Park family that says they were fortunate enough not to lose their power told NBC News that the bill for their three-bedroom home has climbed by nearly $10,000 in the last few days.

The families who saw their bills spike were reportedly on variable-rate plans with Griddy, an electricity provider in the state.

Griddy had recommended that customers switch to a different provider this week, warning them to find fixed-rate plans instead as it predicted the climbing cost of electricity due to the spiking demand. But many customers who tried to switch said other companies were not accepting new customers until weeks into the future, leaving them stuck with their large bills.

Ty Williams told WFAA in Dallas that he normally spends $660 for his home, guest house and office electric bills each month. His new bill after the rate spike exceeded $17,000.

He told the outlet that he ultimately managed to switch to another provider and was hoping to work out a way to pay his massive bill. But Williams described the situation as "being held hostage and there isn't anything you can do about it."

Some groups, such as Reliant Energy, say they are willing to work with customers and offer flexible bill payment options following the storm.

The spike in people's bills was due to the skyrocketing demand for power during the freezing conditions, which overloaded the unprepared Electric Reliability Council of Texas, which manages power for around 90 percent of the state. That demand increased the price of power, but only those on variable rates directly saw their bills impacted.
That meant that while millions were without power, variable-rate electric customers who still had electricity saw their bills spike. WFAA noted that variable-rate plans are rarer than fixed-rate plans in the state.

The news out of Texas adds to the fallout from the snowstorms, which left at least 47 people dead, left millions without power and even harmed thousands of sea turtles.

Variable rates are non-sense when it comes to necessity-utilities.

They were always a ridiculous proposition and remain such.

Even our limited version in Ontario makes no sense.

Because its predicated on the notion that someone has the ability to load-shift to an alternate time.

But if you're home during the daytime, you need heat in the winter and cooling in the summer.

The notion that you should simply not be home at that time, or swelter or freeze is a preposterous one.

Likewise, the (partially) deregulated cost of supply makes no sense, because it pays producers extra when they have no accretive cost to produce more; and passes on that price hike to the customer without fundamental logic.

The laws of supply and demand only work when one has true ability to adjust both; and the power grid really permits neither.

What Texas needs (well, lots of things), but when it comes to their power grid:

1) Full interchange capability with other U.S. Grids. (the grid currently functions largely independent of other U.S. Grids).

2) A fully regulated, fixed-cost market and fixed cost bills. (per kw/h)

Last edited:
I'm with Lucy on this one. Nothing says a classy night out like sitting on a stool next to the Slurpee machine sucking a Laker and chewing on a bag or Doritos.

"If the licences are granted, the alcohol would have to be sold with food and consumed in the store, in what the company describes as "designated consumption areas." Retail sales — such as buying a six-pack to take home — would not be permitted".

I don't think have i ever seen a 7-Eleven, or any other convenience store in the US, where you can drink in the store, not even in the redneck states. I bought beer from a 7-eleven in Vegas, they blasted opera music in the parking lot, to stop people from drinking on the property. 😆

I think a lot of Texans will be looking into rooftop solar + battery after this incident. Similar to the huge boom in California after grid disruptions related to wildfires.

Green power is pretty Democrat for a state that consistently votes Republican

''Because Texas', standby generators or all buy new trucks:

(up to 7.2Kw from 2021 Ford F150 hybrid)

A decent and functioning regulatory framework would be a good start. They have 3 or 4 grid interconnects with surrounding states, but they are not automatic; all this to avoid federal regulatory interference. It seems a number of their municipal water systems have been privatized as well.

I recall a few years ago when they were hit with a hurricane (forgot which one), several low-lying neighbourhoods were inundated. Apparently houses were allowed to build there since the State pretty much abandoned all zoning restrictions. Live free and die, it seems.

Back