News   May 28, 2024
 266     0 
News   May 27, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   May 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

I would bet anything that the people protesting the lockdown were hardcore Ford Nation at one time.
Yes, if this was the US they would be wearing MAGA hats and Trump would have said how wonderful they were. Doug is certainly not my choice for our Premier but he is certainly not as bad as our neighbours have and far better now than when he was first elected. Let's see if it lasts!

Who said anything about a free pass? I simply said that I'm not sure it's his doing and that automatically blaming the lump for everything is poor form, which it is.

But, yeah, I suppose you folks who are butt hurt about the dude being premier will go on like end times til the day he dies or whatever.
"you folks who are butt hurt"

Right. He's the man in the seat of power, he strongly implied the Ontario Government was buying new iPads for kids who need it.

Our government made a commitment to parents, that we would ensure your children would be safe while they learn,” Lecce said. “We have to bridge the gap for those kids who may not have the tools to learn.”

Except he wasn't really involved in anything, and the iPads had already been purchased by school boards (not the Ontario government). But Ford and Lecce were right there, taking credit for it.

So, iPads are OW benefits or how did you get on that tangent?
You got on that tangent. Learn how to quote:

Screen Shot 2020-04-25 at 4.41.47 PM.png

Regardless, Kathleen Wynne got blamed for every last thing that happened under her government (see: Ben Levin, Mayo Schmidt, gas plants 2.0, Ontario Hydro, etc.). If that's the standard we hold her to, why does Ford get a free pass?

You got on that tangent. Learn how to quote:

View attachment 242412

Regardless, Kathleen Wynne got blamed for every last thing that happened under her government (see: Ben Levin, Mayo Schmidt, gas plants 2.0, Ontario Hydro, etc.). If that's the standard we hold her to, why does Ford get a free pass?

You having a rough day or something? I was replying to the OW benefits claw back tweet post. I know how to use the quote function, clearly.

What does Wynne getting blamed have to do with anything? What sort of logic is that? I wasn't talking about Wynne and I wasn't talking about iPads. Are you implying that I blamed Wynne for things beyond her control but am not willing to do the same for Ford? You've lost the plot, mate.

Try and have a nice day.

As an NDP supporter who does not like any of the Ford brothers, Doug Ford is really competent during the pandemic as compared with American governors with the same ideology as him.

Yes, Doug has learned to read a teleprompter and is careful not to go off script. He is, and will be the same bully once things return to semi normal. He is ultra careful and doesn't want to ruffle too many feathers, as he will still have to deal with plenty of other matters and explain why he did away with inspections of privately owned nursing and extendicare homes. Not to speak of his false claims regarding the iPads and tablets he has provided to help the folks with homeschooling. Fortunately he is scared enough not to ignore the advice of the medical experts.

Though, I must say.....it's says a lot about the prevailing mentality when a known Ford critic like me is being accused of giving the man a free pass. ?

Though, I must say.....it's says a lot about the prevailing mentality when a known Ford critic like me is being accused of giving the man a free pass. ?

I'm not quite sure what he's done that deserves praise to be honest....and I voted for him. Give people way too much credit for doing their jobs.

Coronavirus: Ontario announces ‘pandemic pay’ increase for frontline workers

From link.

The Ontario government has announced it will be providing frontline workers with a temporary “pandemic pay” raise amid the novel coronavirus outbreak.

The increase will provide $4 per hour extra on top of existing wages.

Employees working over 100 hours per month will also receive lump-sum payments of $250 per month for the next four months, meaning eligible employees working an average of 40 hours a week will receive a total of $3,560 in additional wages.

These people put themselves in harm’s way to care for our sick and vulnerable citizens,” Premier Doug Ford said in a statement.

“I am truly grateful, as are the people of Ontario, for their service, and it’s time we give something back to those who sacrifice so much day in and day out.”

Eligible workers include staff in the following settings:

• Long-term care homes
  • Retirement homes
  • Emergency shelters
  • Supportive housing
  • Social services
  • Congregate care settings
  • Corrections institutions
  • Youth justice facilities
  • Some staff in hospitals, including registered nurses and auxiliary staff

A full list of eligible workplaces and workers can be found here.

The pay raise will be in effect until August 13.

When asked during a press conference Saturday why the government didn’t announce such measures earlier, Ford said they “didn’t have the capacity.”

He said the federal government played a “massive role” in coming to this.

In a statement, Ontario NDP Leader Andrea Horwath said, “It’s wrong that it took so long for this small wage top up to arrive.”

Horwath also called on the province to make the additional pay retroactive to the day the province declared a state of emergency.

The SEIU Healthcare union said while news of the pay increase is welcomed, it should be retroactive and include those who are on unpaid leave due to quarantine or contracting COVID-19. The union also expressed concerns regarding the supply of personal protective equipment.

The Ontario Personal Support Worker Association, meanwhile, issued a statement thanking the premier and the minister of long-term care for the pay increase.

The key phrase is "for the next four months".

Yeah, I'm not sure he's done anything worth praise either and I sure as hell didn't vote for him.
I dislike the man intensely, but during this pandemic he has listened to the experts and has taken some decisive action, albeit he also told people to travel and have fun on March Break. Most of the time he looks like a deer in the headlights, so he stays on script and on task.

Back