News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 568     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 869     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

I guess I'll stick this here:

Its an announcement from the Ford regime of a new, formalized process to deal w/unsolicited infrastructure proposals.

I suppose there should be such a process, though I wonder that there wasn't one before??

I must confess though; with this government, I am marginally suspicious this is being done to allow for a specific proposal not yet before the public. But perhaps, I'm being unfair.....

I guess I'll stick this here:

Its an announcement from the Ford regime of a new, formalized process to deal w/unsolicited infrastructure proposals.

I suppose there should be such a process, though I wonder that there wasn't one before??

I must confess though; with this government, I am marginally suspicious this is being done to allow for a specific proposal not yet before the public. But perhaps, I'm being unfair.....

Looks like a program for -untraceable- -sketchy- lobbying to me, you know something fishy is up, when Doug introduces something new and involves private sector. So the private sector can dismantle healthcare, housing, etc. etc. because the Cons will sell anything for a buck.

Premier Doug Ford, who last met with reporters on Sept. 17 in Verner, Ontario, will hold a press conference Wednesday in Kenora, a 20-hour drive from Toronto. He notified the press at noon today...

Premier Doug Ford, who last met with reporters on Sept. 17 in Verner, Ontario, will hold a press conference Wednesday in Kenora, a 20-hour drive from Toronto. He notified the press at noon today...

Or a short flight to YQK. Sneaky bastard afraid to face the press

Protesters occupy Doug Ford’s constituency office to demand stronger protections for temp workers

From link.

enrico_miranda.jpg

Worker advocates occupied Premier Doug Ford’s Etobicoke constituency office Wednesday, demanding stronger protections for temporary help agency workers, after an accident at North York industrial bakery Fiera Foods claimed the life of a 57-year-old father of two.

Police were called to the scene after about seven representatives of the Fight for $15 movement and several unions entered the office on Albion Rd. asking to speak with the premier on the phone, while a group of 30 others set up a barricade outside.

An office staffer who refused to identify herself said she had “zero comment” and asked a Star reporter to leave the building. Ford was in Kenora on Wednesday, where he was making an announcement related to infrastructure.

Enrico Miranda, who had been working at the factory for about five years through a temp agency, was crushed by a machine he was cleaning in September.

He was the fifth temporary employment agency worker to die at Fiera Foods or one of its affiliate plants since 1999.

“There have been five deaths, two of them on Doug Ford’s watch,” said Pam Frache of the Fight for $15 movement. “It’s not too much to save a life.”

Deena Ladd of the Toronto-based Workers Action Centre said “nothing else had worked” in the groups’ efforts to advocate for stronger protections for temp workers.

Last week, labour advocates wrote an open letter to the premier demanding that the provincial government implement the legislation that will make companies using temp agencies financially responsible for workplace deaths and injuries involving temp workers.

“Shockingly, it has been almost two weeks since (Miranda’s) death and yet we have heard nothing from you,” the letter said. “You have chosen to remain silent, despite having the power to implement legislation that could have prevented this tragedy.”

Ontario’s previous Liberal government initiated a measure that would have ensured all companies who use temps are liable for their injuries at the workers’ compensation board, which workers’ advocates have long argued is a key financial incentive to protecting temps.

But the Liberals did not create the regulations necessary to enforce the new law before being booted from power last year. The Ford government has not moved to implement the measure.

The government has also repealed several other temp worker protections, including the right to equal pay for doing the same work as permanent employees.

The Ministry of Labour is currently investigating Miranda’s death. Inspectors who attended the scene issued six health and safety requirements to Fiera, but the ministry refuses to say for what after recently changing its media disclosure policy. The ministry no longer has to reveal documented safety infractions until a full investigation into an employer is complete, a process that can take at least a year.

Fiera’s general counsel David Gelbloom has previously said the company understood “the lasting impact” of the “tragic workplace accident.”

“As a company, we are heartbroken and have been focused foremost on supporting the family and our employees through these first few difficult days. At the same time, we are fully co-operating with Ministry of Labour inspectors as they review the accident.”

Fiera describes itself as “one of North America’s largest suppliers of baked goods.” Its clients include Metro, Costco, Walmart and Dunkin’ Donuts (all have said they planned to address the latest fatality with Fiera.)

In early October, independent Toronto grocer Fiesta Farms announced on its website that it would no longer be purchasing croissants from Fiera Foods.

“As a rule, we tend to keep our politics to ourselves,” their statement said. “But occasionally, like when an issue hits close to home, we need to take direct action.”

Asked why Premier Ford is in Kenora, not Toronto, as his election promise to upload the subway is reversed, Transportation Minister Mulroney insists "Kenora's not that far away." Kenora is 1865 km from Toronto, for the record.
Could Doug get farther away from Toronto ? If there's a message here I'll be damned if I can find it.

Deficit? What deficit?

Ontario's PC government has made it clear since taking office last June that the province has little money to go around for such vital services as public health, education, legal aid, employee protections, indigenous affairs, childcare, scientific research and fighting poverty.

A one-year retroactive 14 per cent wage hike for Ontario's top bureaucrats, on the other hand? That's well within reason for Premier Doug Ford, it seems.

An order-in-council document surfaced this week by Queen's Park Todayshows that all 28 of the province's Deputy Ministers are slated to receive significant wage hikes, going from a minimum salary of $205,000 to a minimum of $234,080.

https://www.blogto.com/city/2019/10/doug-fords-government-staff-are-getting-big-pay-raise/

Deficit? What deficit?

Ontario's PC government has made it clear since taking office last June that the province has little money to go around for such vital services as public health, education, legal aid, employee protections, indigenous affairs, childcare, scientific research and fighting poverty.

A one-year retroactive 14 per cent wage hike for Ontario's top bureaucrats, on the other hand? That's well within reason for Premier Doug Ford, it seems.

An order-in-council document surfaced this week by Queen's Park Todayshows that all 28 of the province's Deputy Ministers are slated to receive significant wage hikes, going from a minimum salary of $205,000 to a minimum of $234,080.

https://www.blogto.com/city/2019/10/doug-fords-government-staff-are-getting-big-pay-raise/

Gotta try and tamp down that impending mutiny somehow.

Gotta try and tamp down that impending mutiny somehow.

LOL, indeed, by increasing it! So says the Financial Accountability Office.

Apparently, the increase in electricity subsidies along with the one-time costs of winding down Cap and Trade added over 3B to the deficit last year. If fact, measures taken sqaurely by Ford account for almost 1/2 of last year's deficit.

Back