News   Jun 26, 2024
 43     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Not only do they not have time for a prolonged period of signing up new members, they have explicitly said that any new members would not be eligible to vote in the leadership race. Ok, I think I read about this in yesterday's Globe and Mail.
According to the Conservative Constitution, Article 25.4, they must sell memberships for at least half the length of the campaign.

http://www.ontariopc.com/partybanner/52940PCPartyofOntarioConstitution2016.pdf

They don't need members - they have 200k of them. Normally the campaign is partly to raise money and raise profile (since they almost always happen with "forgotten" parties not in government. Here, the PC's already have enough money and they will get exposure immediately before the campaign - when its most beneficial.

Thanks for that, BurlOak. Of interest was also Article 8.

So, Ford could sign up new members and then.....man, that would just end in complete disaster for the party if he were to subsequently be elected leader. The party-caucus split here reminds me of the same within the Labour Party in the UK where caucus was horrified by the election of Corbyn as party leader.

Not official, but another tweet "Sources close to former foreign affairs minister John @Baird say he will not seek the @OntarioPCParty leadership."

Ford it the big wildcard, because I don't think he can run without tossing insults at other rivals. Otherwise I think the PC's may be able to pull off a civil leadership race. I am pretty sure that Caroline Mulroney will not run* and just wants to be able to run supporting a permanent leader.

* - I heard someone say that political consultants are busy reaching out to any possible Conservative hopefuls to convince them that they are a within reach of being Premier. If they can inflate enough egos, it could get messy.

There's another path to victory for DoFo here - as I've noted before there is always the risk that a fencepost exurb candidate steps aside at the last minute so he can run for MPP. With more fallout from Brown's rigging of the nomination process we could see candidates turfed. The party might offer a seat to Ford in order to shut him up and keep him off the leadership ballot.

They can't just parachute him in somewhere without raising the ire of the local EDA. Look at the problems they've had with candidate races that were seen as shady by some locals. Unless maybe his Etobicoke North constituency might be amenable to it. Does that riding already have a chosen candidate?

They can't just parachute him in somewhere without raising the ire of the local EDA. Look at the problems they've had with candidate races that were seen as shady by some locals. Unless maybe his Etobicoke North constituency might be amenable to it. Does that riding already have a chosen candidate?
Pretty sure every ward he won in 2014 has a corresponding provincial PC candidate in place - he's already been stumping for some of them. If he ran for leader and won he'd have to kick one out.

Real question is if Brown did anything shady to nominate someone in a Ford-friendly riding. That would make a purge rather straightforward.

Ow, my head. :(

I think Ford's out of luck on that front, to be honest. I'm not even fully convinced he'll run for mayor (I'm a dreamer). Can I pay to permanently move him to Deco Chicago? Instead of payroll deductions for a year. It's a public service, CRA, trust.

Ow, my head. :(

I think Ford's out of luck on that front, to be honest. I'm not even fully convinced he'll run for mayor (I'm a dreamer). Can I pay to permanently move him to Deco Chicago? Instead of payroll deductions for a year. It's a public service, CRA, trust.
I share your scepticism of his staying power to the final mayoral ballot. However, part of his reason for always hanging around the edges and staying in the news is to jump if an opportunity arises. This is an opportunity.

Sigh, yeah.

I wish he would just stick to writing his article in the Sun which I never read. End his public life there. I'd never have to hear him. I know this makes it sound as if I'm living in a bubble, but I recently started reading the National Post in addition to my usual Globe and Mail just to get a different perspective on things. It's not as different a perspective as the Sun, granted, but I honestly can't...read....that....rag.

Sigh, yeah.

I wish he would just stick to writing his article in the Sun which I never read. End his public life there. I'd never have to hear him. I know this makes it sound as if I'm living in a bubble, but I recently started reading the National Post in addition to my usual Globe and Mail just to get a different perspective on things. It's not as different a perspective as the Sun, granted, but I honestly can't...read....that....rag.

I feel that way about both the Sun and the Star. Better to read both sides daily for good laughs and to stay balanced.

Last edited:
I don't read the Star either. I'm not going to say it's a rag like the Sun (because it isn't) but it's also not worth my time.

Back