News   Jul 15, 2024
 345     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 487     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2K     1 

I wouldn't hold your breath for that! In the mind of most Britons ToRonTo is a small WASPY city made up of English-Scottish expats. They can hardly beleive it's half the size of London UK, and more multicultural to boot...

eh, more like a third.
Toronto is NOT more multicultural than London, UK for sure.

Maybe Britons should adapt to our pronunciation and not the other way around?

they could if Canada has more cultural influence than the UK.

If I am not mistaken, American Idol was based on "Pop Idol" of the UK, and then there is something called "Canadian Idol" which no one watches. In the English speaking world, the British still has a huge influence. A large number of American TV shows are based on British one, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_television_series_based_on_British_television_series
hardly any based on Canadian ones (usually the other way around, ie: So you think you can dance - Canada, etc) There is Harry Porter, popular all around the world. In the literary world, tons of British writers. hardly any world famous Canadian ones.

In terms of cultural influence, Canada is insignificant, while the UK can still be quite influential. You expect the Britons to adopt to Canadian accent (which is hardly distinguishable from American accent)? It is like ask the Americans to get used to New Zealand English.

Although I agree with almost everything you say, I've never, ever heard anyone say "Cheronno"!

Okay, just to get us back on topic here. Is it just me who believes he hears some people pronouncing Toronto as "Cheronno" /tʃƏ'rɔno/? I'd be willing defer to the majority on this one. However I will begin by saying that I believe "Cheronno" /tʃƏ'rɔno/ is what I here from many people if I listen closely. I feel it is a bit of a sloppy way of pronouncing it, but I'm pretty sure I hear it from a range of people, from those I speak to, to radio announcers.

they could if Canada has more cultural influence than the UK.

If I am not mistaken, American Idol was based on "Pop Idol" of the UK, and then there is something called "Canadian Idol" which no one watches. In the English speaking world, the British still has a huge influence. A large number of American TV shows are based on British one, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_television_series_based_on_British_television_series
hardly any based on Canadian ones (usually the other way around, ie: So you think you can dance - Canada, etc) There is Harry Porter, popular all around the world. In the literary world, tons of British writers. hardly any world famous Canadian ones.

In terms of cultural influence, Canada is insignificant, while the UK can still be quite influential. You expect the Britons to adopt to Canadian accent (which is hardly distinguishable from American accent)? It is like ask the Americans to get used to New Zealand English.

You treat Canada like Chris Brown treated Rihanna
2144045_t.jpg

And I feel proud of saying that after the anniversary of the Montreal Massacre.

Last edited:
You treat Canada like Chris Brown treated Rihanna
2144045_t.jpg

And I feel proud of saying that after the anniversary of the Montreal Massacre.

I am not "treating" Canada in any subjective manner. I am simply stating the fact, not caring a bit about how it might hurt some audience's feelings. The Canadian culture (and language) bearing close to no influence on the English speaking world is a fact, whether you want to admit it or not. Do you know how sick I am every time there is some copycat TV show called "XXX -Canada"?

Honestly, all the "Toronto" pronunciation talk is laughable, particularly when it dragged on for several years. I mean, who in the world outside Toronto cares how "Toronto" should be pronounced or how locals pronounce it? You guys talk as if it is some sort of a big deal.

Toronto is pronounced as /təˈrɒntoʊ/. Anything else is simply wrong or at least incorrect. How it is said colloquially, honestly, who cares? It is like residents of Louisville, KS talking about whether the city should be pronounced as /ˈluːiːvɪl/ or /ˈluəvəl/, as the locals do, but it matters to whom? For me, whoever says /trono/ or something like it sounds like he/she needs more formal education, that's all. It is like some English speakers say "A is different than B" instead of "from B". He is a native speaker but sounds uneducated, that's about it.

Why not close this tread and move on with life?

Last edited:
eh, more like a third.

kkgg7, you're a clown.

I've lived in Toronto for years, and in London UK for years.

Toronto is far more multicultural than London UK. And Toronto dosen't riot about it.

London: 31% nonwhite.
Toronto: 47% nonwhite.

Source - London: http://neighbourhood.statistics.gov...m=0&r=1&s=1201351285750&enc=1&dsFamilyId=1812

Source - Toronto: http://www12.statcan.ca/census-rece...egins&SearchPR=01&B1=Visible minority&Custom=

Actually it is.

I suppose you are using the infamous "% of residents born outside of Canada" again? That's almost useless. Suppose Toronto ihas 30% born in Canada, the rest 70% all born in mainland China, that makes Toronto "most multiculural"?

A better measurement is how many languages are spoken and how evenly spread they are. By a quick visual inspection you realize Toronto has very low represention of black people and latinos.

kkgg7, you're a clown.

I've lived in Toronto for years, and in London UK for years.

Toronto is far more multicultural than London UK. And Toronto dosen't riot about it.

London: 31% nonwhite.
Toronto: 47% nonwhite.

Source - London: http://neighbourhood.statistics.gov...m=0&r=1&s=1201351285750&enc=1&dsFamilyId=1812

Source - Toronto: http://www12.statcan.ca/census-rece...egins&SearchPR=01&B1=Visible minority&Custom=

since when % of non-white is an accurate standard of "multi-culturism"?? What's so special about "whites" anyway?

You should look at the distribution of people from various cultural background. Richmond, BC probably has an even higher non-white stats, does that make Richmond even more multi-cultural than Toronto? Markham probably has higher nonwhite % as well.

On the other hand, don't you think it is very silly to lump "white" into one culture? Do you think Iceland or Sweden has the same cultural as say Bulgaria or Greece? Race is NOT culture.

Last edited:
I am not "treating" Canada in any subjective manner. I am simply stating the fact, not caring a bit about how it might hurt some audience's feelings. The Canadian culture (and language) bearing close to no influence on the English speaking world is a fact, whether you want to admit it or not. Do you know how sick I am every time there is some copycat TV show called "XXX -Canada"?

Honestly, all the "Toronto" pronunciation talk is laughable, particularly when it dragged on for several years. I mean, who in the world outside Toronto cares how "Toronto" should be pronounced or how locals pronounce it? You guys talk as if it is some sort of a big deal.

Toronto is pronounced as /təˈrɒntoʊ/. Anything else is simply wrong or at least incorrect. How it is said colloquially, honestly, who cares? It is like residents of Louisville, KS talking about whether the city should be pronounced as /ˈluːiːvɪl/ or /ˈluəvəl/, as the locals do, but it matters to whom? For me, whoever says /trono/ or something like it sounds like he/she needs more formal education, that's all. It is like some English speakers say "A is different than B" instead of "from B". He is a native speaker but sounds uneducated, that's about it.

Why not close this tread and move on with life?

Why don't you cease in participating in this thread, especially since you don't care? And judging from your latest responses, culture is not your strong point.

since when % of non-white is an accurate standard of "multi-culturism"?? What's so special about "whites" anyway?

You should look at the distribution of people from various cultural background. Richmond, BC probably has an even higher non-white stats, does that make Richmond even more multi-cultural than Toronto? Markham probably has higher nonwhite % as well.

On the other hand, don't you think it is very silly to lump "white" into one culture? Do you think Iceland or Sweden has the same cultural as say Bulgaria or Greece? Race is NOT culture.

Someone posted that Toronto has a huge proportion of its population which is foriegn born. You say that has no correlation with
multiculturalism.

Someone posted that Toronto has a huge proportion of its population which is nonwhite. Then you say that isn't multiculturalism either.

Either you're a nut, or there's some other way to define (and measure) multiculturalism that only you have heard of!

eh, more like a third.
We're are more mulitcultural than London. We are also a lot bigger than 1/3 of the population of London (and given our much lower population density, physically we're much bigger ... takes a lot longer to drive through Toronto than it does London).

Greater London population is 7.1 million, with 5.2 million (72%) born in UK, and 69% white. Greater Toronto is 5.6 million, with only 54% born in Canada and only 57% not being a visible minority.

Sure, there might be some parts of central London that are very multicultural - but don't forget that vast swaths of land that are very much not multicultural.

Given that everyone is quite well aware that Toronto is more multicultural than London, I can only assume that one again your are trolling.

We're are more mulitcultural than London. We are also a lot bigger than 1/3 of the population of London (and given our much lower population density, physically we're much bigger ... takes a lot longer to drive through Toronto than it does London).

Greater London population is 7.1 million, with 5.2 million (72%) born in UK, and 69% white. Greater Toronto is 5.6 million, with only 54% born in Canada and only 57% not being a visible minority.

Sure, there might be some parts of central London that are very multicultural - but don't forget that vast swaths of land that are very much not multicultural.

Given that everyone is quite well aware that Toronto is more multicultural than London, I can only assume that one again your are trolling.

Wiki clearly states London's population is 7,825,200 as of 2010. Toronto is 2.5-2.6 mil, that makes it third of London.

"Given that everyone is quite well aware that Toronto is more multicultural than London"? Who is everyone? How can you be so certain that Toronto is more multi-cultural than London to the extent that anyone who doesn't believe it is a "troll", as if I am saying the Earth is bigger than the Sun.

By the way, you 7.1m vs 5.6 million is ridiculous. 5.6m is for metro Toronto, an area of 7125km2, while 7.8m (or your 7.1m) is for an area of 1570km2. Metro London's population is 14 million, to be more comparable with GTA's 5.6 million. As to physical size, Anchorage, Alaska is a lot bigger than Toronto (8 times) and takes longer to drive, is it a bigger city?

Let me say it again, what percentage are born overseas is not a good measurement for "multiculturism". Miami has a higher percentage than Toronto, will you admit Miami is more diverse than Toronto, following your own logic? Dubai has a foreign born population of over 80%, guess that's the most diverse city in the world?

As to non-white %, that means nothing. There are too many white countries with distinct cultures. Only the whites think the percentage of non-whites is a big deal.

Last edited:
Okay, just to get us back on topic here. Is it just me who believes he hears some people pronouncing Toronto as "Cheronno" /tʃƏ'rɔno/? I'd be willing defer to the majority on this one. However I will begin by saying that I believe "Cheronno" /tʃƏ'rɔno/ is what I here from many people if I listen closely. I feel it is a bit of a sloppy way of pronouncing it, but I'm pretty sure I hear it from a range of people, from those I speak to, to radio announcers.

Some people definitely say it "Cheronno," especially in rapid speech. It's not uncommon for "t"s to sound more like "ch" when so closely followed by an "r" sound. For example, you'll also here "chrout" (trout), "chrent" (Trent), "dechroyt" (Detroit), etc. In fact it's so common, I'm guessing that many people wouldn't even recognize it unless they listened carefully.

Someone posted that Toronto has a huge proportion of its population which is foriegn born. You say that has no correlation with
multiculturalism.

Someone posted that Toronto has a huge proportion of its population which is nonwhite. Then you say that isn't multiculturalism either.

Either you're a nut, or there's some other way to define (and measure) multiculturalism that only you have heard of!

Cool down, buddy. Let's be rational.

I didn't say it has no correlation, but that it is not acurate. Dubai has 83% foreign born population, is it more multi-cultural than NYC, London and everyone? Apparently not. Hypothetically, if country A has 20% local born and 80% foreign born, but this 80% are all from one or two countries; country B has 40% local born, and the rest 60% representing people from 100 countries, will you say A is more multicultural than B?

Non-whites population is irrelevant. If Canada has an immigrant from Indian, it counts as multicule, but another from Belarus, that doesn't count? How silly is that. What about in non North American non European countries? Japan has 0.0000001% white, that makes Japan more multi-cutural? This kind of white-centric way of thinking makes me sick, as if the world is between the white and all others.

Toronto is undoubted very multi-cultural. But to say it is more so than London, that's quite a stretch. Let me give an example, there are more than 300 languages spoken in London, compare with about 140 in Toronto. That says something, apparently not outright "Toronto is more multi-cultural than London".

http://www.toronto.ca/toronto_facts/diversity.htm
http://getset.london2012.com/en/the-games/about-london-2012/london-2012-a-world-city

Toronto may have higher foreign born population, but they are dominated by a limited number of countries (China/HK, Korea, Indian etc). On the other hand, London represents more cultures of the world judging by the number of languages spoken, and therefore, in my mind is more multicultural.

Back