Member Bio
Reaction score
Link to article

First Act: Completed
A look at the Four Seasons Centre's inaugural year

Michael Crabb
National Post

Saturday, November 03, 2007

It's been more than a year since the Canadian Opera Company opened its new home, the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts. During the long, $185-million campaign to get the hall built, late COC general director Richard Bradshaw, its indefatigable champion, promised it could become one of the world's great opera houses. But skeptics thought he was grandstanding or, as Bradshaw put it, "smoking something." A year on, those skeptics are eating their words.

Despite what by European and American standards would be considered a laughably meagre budget, architect Jack Diamond and acoustician Bob Essert delivered an opera house that does what it's supposed to do; provide an optimal environment in which to experience great lyric theatre.

Critics from around the world have praised the sound and intimacy of the 2,000-seat, traditionally horseshoe-shaped hall. The exacting Valery Gergiev, conductor extraordinaire and supreme commander of St. Petersburg's Maryinsky Theatre -- ballet, opera and orchestra -- gave it a two-thumbs-up after squeezing in a brief visit during a Toronto concert engagement. The COC orchestra is in raptures. Says concertmaster Marie Berard: "We're so in love with the hall and it's not just our pride. Visiting conductors seem genuinely astounded."

Meanwhile, opera lovers have been voting with their feet. The COC's first season in the hall sold to 99% capacity and the 2007-08 season looks set to do likewise. Company managing director Rob Lamb says subscription renewal rates, always a key indicator, are running way above the industry average, which is 75%.

The National Ballet of Canada (NBC), the COC's tenant in the new hall, is also happy. "It's been extraordinarily wonderful artistically," says executive director Kevin Garland. "Our productions look so much better there." Principal dancer Chan Hon Goh recalls that in NBC's former cavernous venue, the 3,200-seat Sony (formerly O'Keefe, then Humming-bird) Centre, it was impossible to feel connected to the audience. And now? "It's as if a glass wall has been removed," says Goh. "It's so much easier to draw the audience into my world."

That's not to say the Four Seasons Centre is perfect. If there had been more money to spend, the backstage areas might have featured a fully trapped stage with hydraulic lifts and a built-in revolve, a mechanized as opposed to manually operated fly system for moving scenery and a huge acoustic door to isolate the large side-stage from the performing area. But these are luxuries and COC technical director David Feheley says he's more than content with what he's got. Compared with the old venue, the new hall, he says, "represents a big gain."

Some patrons, of course, will always find something to gripe about. You'll hear the odd complaint about having to descend one floor to reach main-level washrooms -- just as at the Sony Centre. At least the lineups are shorter. Then there are those who find the steep rake of the fifth ring frighteningly vertiginous, even if the sound up in the cheapest "nosebleed heaven" seats is almost as good as in the posh grand ring, three tiers below.

Both the COC and NBC knew that occupying a smaller hall would mean having to stage more performances to maintain overall capacity -- and raising ticket prices substantially to meet the increased operational costs. For some patrons those increases are painful, as a subscriber at NBC's recent annual general meeting voiced forcefully. Yet, as Lamb and Garland explain, without significant increases in government grants, there's little they can do.

The Four Seasons Centre will not become the "people's palace" of Richard Bradshaw's dreams, it seems, unless governments decide to make it so.

yes, i understand the interior is fabulous.
is there no way to retain that...and raise another couple hundred million to turn the outside into something that doesn't resemble my old high school?

My old high school - York Mills Collegiate - was designed by leading Toronto style Modernist architect Peter Dickinson, so I'm delighted that the FSCPA resembles it in sheer, sleek beauty.

I wish my high school had been so well designed in terms of the interplay of planes and volumes and geometry.

I love the design, more people need to enjoy the inside

I actually love the design of our new Opera House. Everytime I go by there with friends or family, the general view is that its a beautiful building, however most will never step into the building because of price of tickets.

That being said, any new money should be directed towards programming not exterior cosmetic changes. Spending money to make the building more accessible to the wider public would have a bigger return on the city. I would concentrate efforts at lowering ticket prices, FREE public tours of the building and more special events of the grand atrium would all be good ideas.

Its great that Toronto has all these new cultural buildings, but if the general public are not able to access them, then what is the point?

Louroz

The series of free lunch hour concerts on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and late afternoons on Wednesdays, resumed in September. The recent celebratory concert for Richard Bradshaw was free for those who lined up early enough for tickets, and there is a limited number of $20 rush tickets for students and the public on the day of the performance.

Indeed, I took advantage of the $20 tickets recently.

If you haven't seen a performance in the Four Seasons Centre yet, go!

More thought and funding is needed

I want to repeat, I believe the architecture of the new Four Seasons Centre is beautifully done. The biggest obstacle for the general public in experiencing the centre is simply PRICE. If this is to be a great new public space, it must do more to act like one and not some elite private space like it currently projects. The current free gestures are just that. They are limited and take place during inaccessible time periods to most.

It should be as open and accessible to the public as possible. I want to stress that we shouldn’t be raising more funds to change the exterior appearance of the building, rather direct focus on using any new funds to reach out to residents across the GTA.

The free noon hour concerts are again nice gestures, however at the moment, attending those free concerts held Tuesday-Thursday only are virtually impossible to attend because unless you live or work within walking distance of the centre, along with having a flexible and extra long lunch break, your not going to make it there and back to work or class in time. Nevermind you have to arrive at least 30 minutes prior to get a seat and still eat lunch before you rush back to your job or school.

With more funding, more events should be held in the evenings (after regular working hours and when nothing is taking place in the main concert hall) and on the weekends so families can attend together.

As for the recent free tribute concert, again that was a nice one off gesture, however again it was virtually impossible to obtain a ticket unless you live within walking distance of the centre. Asking people to line up at 8:00am on a Saturday morning for a CHANCE for a free ticket is unreasonable.

Finally, those $20 rush tickets, very limited, for a majority it is impossible to line up on the morning of the performance for a CHANCE at securing a ticket. A better more dignified, fair and accessible way of allocating tickets would be a registration list. As blocks of rush tickets come online, they will be distributed to those on the list. In tracking the ticket requests and distribution, they can even ensure that first time members get an opportunity before any repeat members receive them.

Finally, it boggles my mind that one has to pay $7 for the privilege of being taken on a tour of facility that received capital and continues to recieve operating funding from taxpayers. In my opinion the tour should be free for all to at least appreciate the new building.

I understand that the Fours Seasons Centre need to pay its bills, however I want to stress that for the arts and culture to continue to thrive in Toronto in the future, more thought needs to be given to diverse and accessible programming inside these shiny new buildings.

Louroz

unfortunately, most of my friends either think the building is incredibly ugly or they didn't know it's new.

and i think its exterior is horrible too.

For the most part, I agree with you FM. But ...

The problem with setting up a registration system for the $20 tickets is that you're basically creating a cut-price subscription series for the same smallish group of people every time.

The City Room and/or the hall are being rented out for events, so any extension of free public events there would have to work around that fact.

If the government subsidy was larger, ticket prices could be reduced and more "free" events for the public introduced.

The building isn't public space - it is owned by the COC as a venue for them to perform for a paying audience of mostly subscribers. Anything beyond that is a smart move to increase that audience by inviting the general non-operagoing public in to other performance events.

I like the building :) I wouldn't have done much differently, although the retail space which we have occasionally heard about seems to have been a long time coming. I also like the free lunchtime programming on Tuesdays and Thursdays. My job usually allows me the flexibility to attend such things, and I have been to several of these performances.

Louroz makes good points. This building, although not "public property", was built with major public contributions. I actually don't know how much governments contribute to the Opera company or the Ballet company.

The last few years have featured major fundraising campaigns for a number of cultural projects in this city (AGO, ROM, National Ballet School, Gardiner, Conservatory of Music, and others). No doubt it was a real challenge to do all of these within overlapping time frames. I congratulate the fundraisers and board members at these bodies who have carried this out so well. Perhaps it's now time to start directing more of the fundingraising to setting up endowments, with the income going to support ongoing programming.

Well, the point's more that the idea of "the opera" remains hifalutin and inaccessible to many. That is, unless they stage a production of "Tommy" or "Quadrophenia", or else lease out the space for some GladstoneDrakey events like Trampoline Hall or something

They could stage such events there just to get human traffic through the door, but what does that accomplish? Operaphobics that might go there to see Tommy aren't going to suddenly embrace opera because of a glass staircase and good acoustics...occasional or fair weather operaphiles are probably going more often, though.

Back