News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.9K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 695     0 

I don't doubt that billy's comment applies to all the theatrical performances that he's seen, but he doesn't claim that any of those performances were by the COC or the National Ballet at the new opera house.

I agree with Benc7 about the people who bolt for it as soon as the performance is over - why bother sitting through something if you're so desperate to leave?

I had a similar experience to TonyV at the Thursday performances last year: Elektra and Ledi Macbet were more enthusiastically received, and the Ring even more so ( though some of those vile Europeans booed at the end of Die Walkure ), than some of the more traditional operas and stagings that worked less well. But the COC season productions appeal to different sectors of the audience, too, which is why we get tried-and-true classics like The Marriage of Figaro as well as the more obscure From The House of the Dead.

The new house has attracted new audiences, and full houses, so inevitably there will be opera newbies who applaud everything that moves - but I don't see enthusiasm as a vice.

Elektra won two Dora's, and I think the local audience for opera is pretty knowledgeable and exacting - we've had an opera company here for decades - and most locally initiated productions ( as opposed to "road shows" ) are very good. The Ring was magnificent and garnered critical praise internationally for the design, direction, interpretation and singing, and I believe that we're more than willing to embrace new productions and interpretations of classics - we're not as "faux" in our tastes as others, if you like - in this city.

Also, there are cultural differences. When I saw Lucia di Lammermoor a couple of seasons ago it felt like every member of the Russian community had turned out to see their soprano - there were waves of applause every time she opened her mouth, though I'm sure there were Canadians who could have done the role just as well. Now that Bradshaw's gone, it'll be interesting to see how many of these eastern Europeans will be cast.

I agree with Benc7 about the people who bolt for it as soon as the performance is over - why bother sitting through something if you're so desperate to leave?

Quite a number of the ones that I have noticed leaving as the last note is sung are the little old ladies who are fearful of leaving amongst the hordes of more able-bodied types. I don't blame them for wanting to avoid the crush. Maybe the rest are hockey Moms and soccer Dads whose little Johnnys and Debbies are waiting for them on benches in recreation centres across the GTA.

$930 vs $120

I can not believe it.

My friends and I just purchased 6 FRONT ROW Tickets all from the comforts of our Mississauga Homes to West Side Story Suites by the National Ballet, showing tomorrow at the Four Seasons for $20 EACH!

Regular price for each ticket: $155!

A total saving of $135 per seat!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$930 vs $120

Unbelievable!

Well done to the National Ballet! Talk about accessibility and young audience outreach! I can guarantee 6 future Ballet subscribers and/or donors already!

Louroz

You won't regret seeing it, though I thought Glass Pieces was even better.

I've noticed much less of the getting up and running out the door before the curtain calls since the move from the O'Keefe Centre.

Back on the topic of a potential investment in improvements to the 4SC...

Is this a possibility or is the writer of the article simply dreaming?

I like the backstage improvements suggested. As for exterior appearance, it would be nice to have something to dream about, even if it's just a pipe dream.

Does anybody have a floor plan of the main level? I'll try to use it to put together my vision of a reinvestment in the exterior of the 4SC.

By the way.. what's the hold up with the cafe/restaurant component? It seemed to be under construction for a while and now nothing seems to be going on...

... May I add that in my research for this little project of mine, in 500+ pages of Flickr tagged with Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts... ZERO photos of the Queen St. or Richmond St. facades is to be found.

That's indicative of how the public feels about those sides. Richmond can get by without much criticism since its low traffic (although facing a major hotel), but the side facing the beautiful Osgoode Hall is unforgivable.

Small things can be done to improve the Queen St. vista, but I'll get to that once I display my finished project.

I'm referring from the outside in... you know what I mean.

Your point simply enhances mine: the Four Seasons Centre takes from Osgoode Hall and offers nothing in return.

You get beautiful views of Osgoode Hall and its gardens from the 4SC but in return, looking from the Osgoode Hall garden, you see a brick wall and no activity at street level. That's architectural robbery if I may coin the phrase...

And what is it that the people sitting in the gardens at Osgoode Hall are crying out to see through the fence, and the pedestrians and traffic on Queen? Billboards? LED screens? Decorative do-dads stuck willy-nilly onto the otherwise pleasingly undecorated facade of the opera house?

And what is it that the people sitting in the gardens at Osgoode Hall are crying out to see through the fence, and the pedestrians and traffic on Queen? Billboards? LED screens? Decorative do-dads stuck willy-nilly onto the otherwise pleasingly undecorated facade of the opera house?

If that's all you come up with, I think your creativity is in more dire need of a reinvestment than the exterior of the 4SC.

Back