News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.9K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 696     0 

What the Queen St. side needs at the pedestrian level is... people.

Create opportunities for people to congregate there. Use the still covered cafe as an informal meeting spot for people other than the limited time presence of opera goers.

Use the very wide sidewalk immediately adjacent to that cafe as a patio. A patio perimeter short black iron cast gate could wink at the Osgoode Hall gate across the street.

Bushes could line the sides of the blank walls to add some interest to a now grey expanse. Viewed from that perspective, the 4SC still seems under construction.

I recognize the need to raise money, but why has the corner of York and Queen become an automobile perch? Use that space as a 4SC shop or an art gallery? A music store dedicated to opera?

The Jackman Lounge windows also look unfinished. Add horizontal features to hold the windows in place like was used on the city room and the practice hall on the corner of York.

So many small touches can be added to create a more city friendly Queen St. facade.

Queen St. is busy 20 hours a day. The 4SC just a handful of hours a week. The 4SC was funded with public money, please make at least part of it public.

You're the one that sees a need - I don't know that anyone else does.

Read the entire thread. You'll find more.

...And step off your grandiose Napoleonic perch. We know you like opera, we know you attend the 4SC frequently and we know that you could give two farts for the minor people walking on Queen St. Once you're off, God forbid, try to stand at the streetcar stop across the street and listen to the comments of those little people.

Perhaps I'm suffering from false memory syndrome, AP, but I'm sure I saw the opera house from the Library, last time I was there. Oh well, I bow to your fine legalistic mind - you're probably there far more often than I am, consulting dusty tomes on obscure branches of law in order to get the poor souls you defend off the hook on obscure technicalities ...

MetroMan: People can see into the Jackman Lounge on opera and ballet nights and, if they're lucky, occasionally catch a glimpse of me in all my finery as I reel around half pissed introducing myself to startled rich people. That free show in itself is reason enough for people like you to hang about on the Queen sidewalk for an hour or two, tingling with anticipation.

What the Queen St. side needs at the pedestrian level is... people.

There are people there all the time - walking. Why do you want to close the sidewalk for a cafe? There is no shortage of cafes in the city. The building was built for music and dance, not as a hang out. And it's open to the public during every performance, and for tours. Nothing's stopping you from buying a ticket and going.

Does anybody know if this shot will disappear once Shangri-La is up?

174742846_09b0135cbb.jpg

It seems to be a favorite spot for "I was in Toronto" shots.

Yes, it will. When I took a visiting group for the tour in October the guides were mentioning that they'll lose this view.

Mark my words. This building, the FSCPA, is going to work its way into the public's hearts, slowly. Better buildings work that way because it is about quality and living up to a purpose. I do see beauty when I stand at University & Queen and look at it. My only reservation occurs when those automatic blinds on the outside of the building are deployed. They were apparently necessary because of the iron-free glass used on the City Room.

^ oh, I too see the beauty of the building at Queen + University... on the North-Western corner sidewalk.. the CityRoom is beautiful indeed...

It's the rest of the building that has been neglected, mainly the Queen St. facade.

I had a fab time at the ballet with friends on Friday evening. We still can't get over the fact we got front row seats for pratically nothing.

Adding to the evening was a mix up of drink tickets by the bar staff and we got glasses of white wine instead of juice at each intermission!

The entire audiance gave it a standing ovation at the end.

AP, I agree that Glass Pieces was even better than West Side Story.

As for the planned cafe on Queen Street, I hope it gets built and bring life to a prime sidewalk space.

Louroz

Back