News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 570     0 

Possible new job - now in need of TTC route suggestions

It's easy to spot from the subway, one bridge north of Lawrence West Stn and one of several minor streets that 109 Ranee goes along.

Honestly, these things get so overblown by the media. I've lived in Flemingdon Park - lot's of immigrants, but hardly a dangerous area - no more so than Cabbagetown. We're not talking Scarborough here ... :)

Neighborhoods aren't inherently bad, only some (and by that I mean very few) of the residents living there. For instance, there might be a lack of gangs in Agincourt, Forest Hill or Port Union but just as well harbor white-collar crime offenders and pedophiles. These 'good vs. bad districts to live/work in' debates only put into question the cultural intelligence (CQ) of the average Torontonian.

They are tearing down Regent Park, because the structure are now 60 years old, and it's hit the point it would be cheaper to start again, than keep fixing them.

This gives an excellent opportunity to rebuild the whole thing, so that you can also mix regular housing in with the low income housing - which would go a long way to dealing with some of the issues there.

But I honestly don't find it that bad walking around that area. There's some very expensive housing only a few steps from Regent Park. It certainly ain't Scarborough :) (here's a extra smiley for the humour-impaired :))

If it has issues even when the people are gone, then it's inherently bad.

And maybe I should put multiple exclamation marks this time to overcome your humour impairment...

If it has issues even when the people are gone, then it's inherently bad.

And maybe I should put multiple exclamation marks this time to overcome your humour impairment...
Perhaps - I'm just not following you ... what people are going to be gone from where?

Regent Park and other housing projects can create problems even after accounting for bad seeds, Dentrobate's 1%, etc.

Dentrobate said it's not neighbourhoods that are inherently bad, it's the residents that are bad...Regent Park creates "bad" residents, so even if you were to remove all the "bad" people and replace them, new ones would be created.

What's happening in Regent Park's just gentrification, thats all. Much like the white flight phenomenon, this will result in a colour flight as the influx of the priviledged and wealthy raises property taxes, rents and living standards which in effect forces the new immigrant/ethnic minority communties out. These people will just move on to the next low-income hole 'til its gentrificates and the cycle goes on.

What's funny is how the city/gov't excepts these largely high-school only educated, limited skilled, ESL wage workers to subsist on $8-10/hr ($1280-1600/mth) more than two-thrids of which going towards rent, utilities, food, transportation, taxes. No wonder illegal boarding houses are popping up everywhere :rolleyes:! That's why Regent Parks exist, life never gets any better for the little guy, only stays at a standstill or worsens.

Back