News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 789     0 

Policing Attitudes

A few things, from points made:

1. I was not a protester;
2. I was not near a protest;
3. The event occurred at about 6:00pm on the Monday after the event, which ended at around 3:00pm Sunday, more than 24 hours earlier; and
4. That the police swore at me is not even the salient issue. The fact they detained me at all is.

I find it incredibly surprising that people say things like "just hand over your ID". Just to be clear: in this country, you DO NOT have to present ID on request, with the exception of operating a motor vehicle, you can be required to prove you are a licensed driver (edit: even then, the demand cannot be arbitrary) . But as a pedestrian, there is no law that exists that requires that you provide ID, or even identify yourself to police at all. If the government passed such a law, it would be struck down as unconstitutional.

In fact, even if you are arrested, your right against self-incrimination extends all the way to your right NOT to identify yourself. People do this by the way, and they get booked as "John Does". Your refusal to identify yourself cannot be used against you in court. It also cannot be used as a justification for suspicion of a crime. ie. A police officer can not say "I detained you because I was suspicious you didn't give me your ID". That's not a legal justification for suspicion under the law. The Supreme Court of Canada has, in fact, provided jurisprudence on this very issue.

For a police officer to demand ID, and for that officer to demand compliance, the officer is by legal definition subjecting you a legal detention. In fact, all searches of your person must necessarily be conducted in the context of a legal detention. If the detention is not legal, the search is not legal. These things are not independent.

Section 7 of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms states: Everyone has the right to be secure against unreasonable search or seizure. and Section 8 follows with: Everyone has the right not to be arbitrarily detained or imprisoned..

It turns out that "arbitrarily" is not up for interpretation. Case law provides us a robust definition of what constitutes an arbitrary detention.

In R v. Simpson [1993] the Supreme Court of Canada held in its judgement that for a detention to be non-arbitrary it must satisfy the requirements of "articulable cause" which is not dissimilar to the concept of "probable cause" in the United States.

Further, the court held that "articulable cause was not sustained merely by the officer’s hunch based on intuition gained by experience."

Continuing, the court asserted that to say "the detaining officer has some ‘articulable cause’ for the detention" the officer must have "a constellation of objectively discernible facts which give the detaining officer reasonable cause to suspect that the detainee is criminally implicated in the activity under investigation."

The bottom line is, as the OIPRD report made clear in its mention of multitudes of illegal detention, the second those police put their hands on me when I refused to submit to a search the police were BREAKING THE LAW.

A police officer may not under any circumstances demand that anybody present identification without having an objective reason for doing so.

Example 1: "I smelled alcohol on his breath and he was acting violently, after hearing reports of the man threatening people in the area" <-- ARTICULABLE CAUSE!
Example 2: "I stopped him while he was walking by and he refused to talk to me" <--- NOT ARTICULABLE CAUSE!

In the first example, you can explain to any competent court of jurisdiction, the reasons why you detained that person: there were reports of a drunk man threatening people. The man is drunk. He's acting violent in my presence. He's in the area where the incidents were reported. *Bing* You have reason to SUSPECT this person may be the one whose making the threats.

In the second example, you can NOT explain to any court of competent court of juridiction why you detained the second guy. Why? Because the reason (that he wouldn't identify himself) is NOT admissible under the rules of evidence in court. Therefore that judge cannot consider it as a reason for the detention. Thus, the detention is illegal. Plain and simple.

You're welcome to waive your rights under the Charter and submit to a voluntary identification and search. But to bemoan people who assert their rights is just insane to me.

Last edited:
Thank you, brockm, for articulating your points so well. I am outraged by the conduct of the police in your case.

I'm less outraged by my personal experience, than I am by people who seem to be of the opinion that our legal rights are malleable and the police should be given the leeway to violate them every time it suits them.

Our rights don't stop applying because G20 leaders are in town. The application of Charter rights, and indeed our more historical Common Law rights (which are inherited) are not subject to abridgment because there's been riots in other parts of town. The police do not have the luxury of switching to the mode of assuming everyone is guilty until proven otherwise, no matter what the situation on the ground is. It just doesn't work that way.

It doesn't matter that respecting these rights means the police's job is harder. Our justice system is not based around the idea of expedient enforcement of laws. Rather, it is the opposite. Our common law inheritance is based on principle that everyone is innocent, until proven otherwise within the auspices of legal due process. This is the fundamental basis for the legitimacy of our entire justice system.

People have said I'm "anti-police". Insofar as you think demanding that police be subject to and respect the very system of laws they're tasked with enforcing is "anti-police", then I guess you can call be "anti-police".

But for those who espouse the rhetoric of letting bygones by bygones with police overreach, I think the far more interesting observation to be made is that such people are showing that they're "pro-police" up to and including supporting them beyond their legal mandate. I am not the one who is taking special exception with police and suggesting they should be subject to extraneous scrutiny. Rather, these people are the ones who are making special exceptions: for the overreach of authority.

In fact, I find it to be a quite common thread among people of this leaning, that they demand things like zero-tolerance policies and strict sentencing for people who run astray the law. But they're quick to look they other way when it is one of their uniformed authority figures doing it.

I am not trying to Godwin the argument. But when I examine it in the light just described, I think I see the seeds from which fascism grows.

Last edited:
Not nearly as troubling as the incidents mentioned in early posts here, but:

The only time I was ever stopped by the police was while cutting through Forest Hill from Eglinton to St. Clair late at night some four years ago. A cruiser pulled in front of me and two constables exited the car. One was in front of me, the other came from behind, keeping his distance. I stopped and showed no resistance. No need to of course.

First came the usual questions about what I was doing there (it was nearly midnight). I was out for a walk on a nice winter night. Then came the question where I lived (King-Spadina) Too far for a walk in their opinion. Not good. So then came a physical search. I was asked if I was armed. I said no. My coat was taken and examined thoroughly. It was winter, and I had to wait fifteen minutes to get it back while a check for priors, warrants, infractions, the usual naughtiness was done. The physical search included an exploration of my wallet - which did not impress me. Then came an explanation - finally: someone saw something in their back yard, it frightened them, and they called the cops. So clearly a major visual crime had transpired, and I was the prime suspect. I was wearing a dark coat and a black hat at night. Clearly I was their man.

I was then asked to wait in order to see whether the police dogs would make there way to where we were. This was, of course, pure comical bullshit, but whatever. I wasn't going anywhere anyway. As we waited around, they started to ask me a bunch of questions about nothing in particular, then turned quickly back to why I was there and what was I doing there - possibly to see whether I would be distracted and screw up my answer. Other questions included stuff like did I collect jewelry? Did I own my home? Where was my car (don't own one - major suspicion).

Finally, they asked me to get in their cruiser as they were getting cold (I guess it helped to have me in the car as well). Once inside, I noted that they had mangled the spelling of my name while doing their search. I quietly informed them of this fact (not like they hadn't eyeballed all my ID and credit cards enough). The younger guy re-entered my name, misspelling it yet again. I didn't bother to correct him this time.

As we waited, more police showed up. I was told to get out of the car and one of those nice constables dressed all in black proceeded to search me again. No pretext of friendliness anymore. Angry cop wanted to show me who was boss. Another cop asked me if I was on heart medication. I said no. Another asked me whether I had been to jail before. I answered no. I was asked a second time if I was on heart medication. Then I was asked why I was being so calm!

Once again, my wallet was rifled through. Angry cop came across a card with phone numbers - a paper back-up that I always keep on me. He demanded to know who all these people were. Friends, family, business associates, etc., I responded. He wanted to know what would happen if he called those numbers and told anyone who answered what was happening to me? I told him that he would probably wake some of them up, and they would likely ask why they were stopping me.

For that, I was searched a third time by two other officers, and then put back into the car!

By that point, there were eleven police officers there. Angry cop then asked me for my shoes. I asked why. "Because we found your tracks." Sure thing. As I now expected it to be a long night, I handed them over. The door was slammed shut. Crusty snow always makes for great tracks.

We waited as my name was run yet again to see if I was good boy or a bad boy. It was misspelled for a third time! Inside the car, the older cop kept asking me where I worked, I told him I was self-employed. He kept remarking that this meant that I was unemployed because it was a week night and only unemployed people were out at that time (like the cops, of course). He then asked me over and over again what I was really doing there, why I was walking through that neighbourhood. Was I looking to break into a house? I repeated that I was just taking a walk. "You sure you're not lying to me?" he finally asked with a wry smile. I guess he simply could not believe that some people liked to take three hour walks at night.

May I remind you, no actual crime had occurred.

Angry cop finally returned and pulled open the door, "Your shoes match the tracks we found. Do you want to see?"

"Yes I do," I said. "Let's go."

He looks at me, and I at him. He gives me my shoes back and slams the door closed.

Almost an hour passes. More questions. They called the first person on my phone list. It's my girlfriend's number. She asks why I have been stopped. They don't answer. She asks again why they are holding me. She tells me afterwards that they refused to answer any of her questions, but she kept asking anyway. Finally, she asks the cop whether I was being taken to a police station or a hospital. She wanted to "know in advance" (her words). Clearly the angry cop who called here made a poor impression.

To make a long story short, the two cops who originally stopped me decided that they wanted to see where I lived. As we made our way downtown, they got a call and detoured to meet up with another police car where another guy in a dark winter coat and black hat is being rousted. A conversation transpires outside, and off we went once again. Not a good night to be wearing dark winter clothing.

Once at my place, I unlocked the door and wanted to make sure my girlfriend is awake (it was then just after 2:30 AM). The two cops push right past me and walk right into my home to take a quick look around. What they saw was a 700 square foot condo with nothing unusual. My girlfriend looked seriously pissed. "So what's up?" she asked, not hiding her anger at the abrupt entry. The older cop starts going on about how dangerous it is for someone to be out walking at night and how I could get mugged etc. "But that's not why he was stopped, was it?" she asks curtly. I smile. After all, how could I be in any danger when there were eleven cops available to stop me while walking through that hive of crime - Forest Hill.

The older cop finally says to me "you understand why we stopped you?" I humour him and say "yes, I certainly do." Of course my voice is tinged with sarcasm, and I'm quite sure that they understood that my answer differed from their reasons for doing so.

Finally, as I closed the door, I asked "whatever happened to the dogs? Did they find a scent?

"Good night" was the response.

^that's a pretty troubling experience Gristle.

Did you file a complaint?

Police can only stop and detain a person if they have reasonable grounds to believe that you are:

About to commit a crime
Have committed a crime
Have evidence of a crime

From your detailed account, it is obvious that police had no grounds whatsoever to stop you and in fact violated your charter rights by unlawfully detaining you AND unlawfully entering your apartment.

You did the right thing however by remaining calm and cooperating with them because had you at any time tried to assert your rights by asking "am I under arrest" "am I free to leave" you probably would have ended up on the ground with a bunch of cops on top of you shouting "stop resisting". It is no exaggeration to say that you could have ended up in the morgue (like poor Charlie McGillvary).:mad:

It is very telling that the one cop commented on how calm you were. No doubt your calmness was very annoying for him because cops try to take a situation like yours and escalate it to the point where they can claim that you were "violent" and "resisted arrest". They want to provoke you to act out so they have an excuse to beat the crap out of you. The behavior of these cops was nothing short of criminal and what is disturbing is the fact they were not the few "bad apples" MOST cops behave this way. This is why hatred of cops has grown almost exponentially in recent years.

What happened to you sounds like the "carding" process that has been going on in this city for years and no one is speaking out against "carding" despite the fact that it is a complete violation of our charter rights. You would think that the Canadian Civil Liberties would be demanding an end to "carding" but their only concern is more blacks are being stopped then whites. It's OK with them that Police violate our charter rights as long all races are equally violated.

Last edited:
Some news regarding David Chen, owner of the Lucky Moose Food Mart grocery in Chinatown, and the new citizen's arrest bill:

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...rest-powers-will-change-police-attitudes?bn=1

David Chen unsure new citizen arrest powers will change police attitudes

Published On Wed Jun 6 2012
Tonda MacCharles
Ottawa Bureau

OTTAWA—David Chen, the Toronto grocer who inspired the Conservative government’s draft of new “citizen arrest” powers, is not convinced the proposed law will help him much.

Testifying at a senate committee, Chen said his shop is the victim of “repeat offenders” who shoplift, flee and elude the police who often do not show up for hours. He and shop-owners like him must spend time and money to pursue charges, or to defend themselves, or “suck it up” and write off the losses, he said.

“We believe the law should be on our side,” he said. “Because those are the criminals.”

Yet when asked by a Liberal senator if he felt Bill C-26 would allow him to make a citizen’s arrest without being charged by police as he was in May 2009, Chen, with lawyer Chi-Kun Shi by his side, frankly admitted he has no idea.

His candid answer in Mandarin — “bùzhidào” or “I don’t know” — was lost in translation, mistakenly translated to the committee as “yes.”

Still, his story was welcomed by Conservative senators as evidence the bill is necessary.

It has already passed the Commons, and is expected to shortly clear the Senate over the objections of, among others, the Canadian Bar Association.

If they were looking for a rousing endorsement and thank you from Chen, the senators didn’t exactly get it. Chen, 39, said in an interview he is uncertain whether the law will help because even if it allows him to catch a thief — and he estimates he loses about $100 a day to shoplifters — the time and cost to follow up through the courts is such a huge burden. But his lawyer, Shi, said nevertheless “we embrace this.”

Justice Minister Rob Nicholson told a senate committee the bill was expressly meant to give “more latitude” to small shopkeepers like Chen, owner of the Lucky Moose Food Mart.

Chen said he chased the thief, tied him with twine, and tossed the man, who continued to struggle, in a delivery van to await police. Shi said she saw nothing “excessive” in what her client did.

She urged the federal government not to just re-write the law, but to send clear instructions to the prosecutors and police across the country not to prosecute storeowners like Chen.

Police, she said, take a “dim view when they see people like David taking proactive measures, they see it as an encroachment. So long as the frontline enforcement … see the storeowners as the bigger menace than the shoplifters we will always have a problem.”

The bill would empower a private citizen to make an arrest of a suspect not only when caught “in the act” of committing a crime, but also “within a reasonable time” afterwards, if the option of using police has been ruled out. It also rewrites existing laws on self-defence and defence of property, setting out a list of factors to help a judge decide whether any use of force by someone defending his property or a person was reasonable.

This is just classic. This cop should be canned not just for his behaviour, but just for how incredibly stupid his defence is:

Protester sues ‘This ain’t Canada’ cop after York police board refuses to charge him

The York Police Services Board has blocked efforts to lay misconduct charges against an officer captured on YouTube telling a G20 protestor “This ain’t Canada right now” and demanding that he be searched.

In October, the province’s police complaints watchdog recommended three misconduct charges against Sgt. Mark Charlebois, who apprehended Paul Figueiras during the G20 summit two years ago.

But because the directive came well after a six-month deadline York Region’s police chief had to ask the board’s permission to lay the charges. (Under the Police Services Act, a disciplinary hearing can only be called within six months of the initial complaint.)

He was refused.

“Ultimately, the board decided that it was not reasonable, under the circumstances, to delay serving the notice of hearing,” said board spokesperson Mafalda Avellino in an emailed statement.

“As such, the board declined the chief’s request for permission to serve a notice of hearing upon Detective Charlebois.”

But here in Toronto, the police board has already granted approval for 28 G20-related charges recommended by the Office of the Independent Police Review Director (OIPRD) — even though those charges have also surpassed the six-month deadline.

The Toronto Police Association also tried to fight the approvals, citing the six-month time limit, but its appeal was quashed in a judicial review last month.

To Murray Klippenstein, Figueiras’ lawyer, York Region’s police board has used a technicality to “shut down this accountability” process.

And it was all done behind closed doors — details of the board’s decision will never be made public because the process is confidential, he said.

“This shows that Police Services Act procedures can be more an illusion than reality,” Klippenstein said. “The result is that York Region’s board is not willing to hold its officers accountable on this major, major issue. Which tells a sad story.”

On May 11, Figueiras filed a lawsuit against Charlebois with the Ontario Superior Court. Other defendants named by the lawsuit are York Region’s police board and Toronto Police Services Board, which oversaw policing during the G20.

Both York Region’s police board and Toronto police declined to comment on the lawsuit.

The 39-year-old father of two from Mississauga is not suing for money, however — just a declaration that his Charter rights were violated during the G20.

More: ‘Officer Bubbles’ identified other Toronto officers to G20 watchdog

But even that will not be forthcoming, at least not from Charlebois. When reached by phone on Monday, the officer said he has no intention of making any such declarations.

“I’m unaware as to most of what you’re talking about,” said Charlebois, who has not yet seen the lawsuit or the OIPRD’s allegations of misconduct.

“As to his rights or whatever, I’ve got no comment on that,” he continued. “I mean, people can feel (anything they want), it doesn’t mean it’s right. You know, whatever the OIPRD found doesn’t mean it actually happened.”

But most of what happened between Charlebois and Figueiras has been captured on video and widely circulated on YouTube. The footage was also used by the OIPRD in their investigation into Charlebois’ conduct.

On June 27, 2010, the Sunday of the weekend summit, Figueiras and some friends were walking south along University Ave. when they were stopped by a group of police officers just north of King St.

The officers — including Charlebois, who was a detective at the time — demanded that everyone be searched before they could pass. Figueiras stated that he did not consent to the search and offered to leave.

At that point, according to the OIPRD investigative report, Charlebois put his arm around Figueiras and pulled him in. “You don’t get a choice. Get moving,” he said, before pushing him away.

When Figueiras protested that they were in Canada and therefore had civil rights, Charlebois responded, “This ain’t Canada right now.” Another officer chimed in, “You’re in G20 land.”

Charlebois can later be seen in the video telling Figueiras, “There’s no civil rights here in this area. How many times you gotta be told that?”

When questioned by OIPRD investigators, Charlebois said he was searching and questioning protesters that day as a “proactive measure” to prevent a further breach of the peace. The previous day, a minority group of vandals employing Black Bloc tactics had broken off from peaceful protest marches, wreaking havoc across downtown Toronto and torching police cruisers.

Charlebois told investigators he “pegged” Figueiras as a Black Bloc because he refused to be searched, was wearing a black t-shirt and had a lawyer’s phone number scrawled on his arm. In the OIPRD’s sweeping G20 report released last month, it found that many protesters had lawyers’ phone numbers written on their arms, thanks to advice from alternative media and activist groups.

In the OIPRD report, Charlebois admitted saying, “This ain’t Canada right now” and “there are no civil rights here,” but insisted it was just “crap talk.”

“I mean, (Figueiras is) going, ‘I have my rights, this is Canada,’ all this stuff. I’m just giving him gibber back, right?” Charlebois told investigators. “We do it all the time. Guys are talking nonsense and he got nonsense back.”

When questioned about why he put his arm around Figueiras, Charlebois said he was giving him a “hug.” He also explained that he was feeling for any “obvious” weapons in his backpack.

On Oct. 3, 2011, the OIPRD substantiated three allegations of misconduct against Charlebois, including that he acted discreditably and exercised unlawful or unnecessary force.

OIPRD director Gerry McNeilly followed up with a letter to York Region’s police board on Nov. 10, explaining why the investigation was so delayed.

In the letter, McNeilly said Figueiras’ complaint was grouped together with 56 other “stop and seizure” complaints stemming from the G20 summit. Because so many officers invoked the Public Works Protection Act — or so-called secret fence law — to justify their actions, McNeilly wanted to research the legislation before proceeding with individual complaints.

“I felt that it would be unfair to the respondent officers to complete the reports without a clear understanding of the information and training given to the officers,” he said in the letter.

McNeilly added that gathering the necessary information was also slow-going; there were delays in receiving disclosure from police services, and arranging interviews with senior officers was “laborious.”

On Monday, Charlebois said he does not believe Figueiras’ rights were violated on that G20 Sunday, which was not a “normal” day.

He questioned the experience of OIPRD investigators and emphasized that their conclusions are only allegations at this point.

“What about the Constitution, (where) everyone’s innocent until proven guilty?” Charlebois asked. “That seems to be lost when it comes to police officers. And it tires me, it really does.”

But for Figueiras, the Charter of Rights and Freedoms is exactly the issue. He also agrees it should apply to everyone at all times — even during the G20.

“Essentially, the Constitution is worthless when it suits him,” Figueiras said in response to Charlebois’ comments. “It really speaks to this kind of systemic problem of picking and choosing constitutional rights.”

“It’s this arbitrary, kind of crapshoot, idea: ‘We’ll tell you when you’re entitled to civil rights and when you’re not.’”

http://www.thestar.com/news/toronto...after-york-police-board-refuses-to-charge-him

Kudos to the York police chief for trying to lay charges against his officer, something I would never expect from Blair. Really, this cop should have said something like, "I was acting under an incorrect understanding of the fence law. Regardless, I did not act to the professional standards I am required to and said things which were inappropriate for my profession. I apologize for my behaviour and accept full responsibility from my actions," and he could move on from this situation with respect from the public. He would get a talking to from his superiors, and that would be appropriate discipline for his behaviour. Instead he comes out saying that he believes things such as civil rights is nothing more than "crap talk."

Being a resident of York Region, who would be the best people to email to express my displeasure with the police board's actions?

@brockm Would the detainment have been more appropriate if the officer explained to you we are investigating a criminal act, and you appear to fit the description of the suspect/someone we would like to question? I'm not trying to justify the cop's actions (seems like they just felt like performing an illegal search for the hell of it, hence the hiding of their badges), but assuming that something actually went down and they needed to question or detain you, what would be the appropriate course of action for the officers in order to not infringe on your rights?

For the record, I'm aware I might be coming off as pro-cop here and sounding sarcastic, but I'm not trying to. I am genuinely curious as to how a cop should act if he suspects someone of something and needs to question or search that person.

@brockm Would the detainment have been more appropriate if the officer explained to you we are investigating a criminal act, and you appear to fit the description of the suspect/someone we would like to question?

No it wouldn't have made me feel better. Lots of people wear black t-shirts. They're extremely common.

Further, it isn't enough that they're investigating a "criminal act". In order to satisfy the legal standard for a reasonable search they must specifically have a constellation of objectively discernible facts why they believe that I am culpable for activity contrary to law.

The fact that I had a black t-shirt on, and I was walking in downtown Toronto with my laptop bag, on a weekday does not satisfy this test.

It would be like saying the "Eaton centre shooter was wearing jeans and hoodie" and then detaining every male on the street who is wearing jeans and a hoodie, and claiming that constituted justifiable detentions.

The Supreme Court has, over the course of several landmark cases, laid out pretty clear guidelines for what constitutes a legal search, and this does not fall within them.

Applying the standards demanded of constitutional jurisprudence, the police had no reason to detain or to search me. They are welcome to try and question me if they wish -- any stranger on the street can try and question me. But I'm under no obligation to submit myself to such.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but my constitutional rights were trampled on. Plain and simple.

I enjoy going to the Caribana Parade (as a spectator), but I'm worried it may turn into another G20 with a slew of unlawful arrests and violent anti-police protests. I hope that won't happen. I know the vast majority of Caribana participants and spectators are family-types who who want to have a good time, but with hot weather (and racial profiling) and tempers flaring, you never know.

I would say 90 some percent of Toronto think the police action on Saturday of G20 - sit back an let the vandals destroy parts of the city - was much worse than what happened Sunday.

I would say 90 some percent of Toronto think the police action on Saturday of G20 - sit back an let the vandals destroy parts of the city - was much worse than what happened Sunday.

Yup. You destroy my city, I don't give a damn if you got a baton to the face.

Yup. You destroy my city, I don't give a damn if you got a baton to the face.

What are you talking about? The thugs who smashed up the city got off scott free. There was not a single cop on Yonge Street, while windows were being smashed. The cops knew exactly what was going on but for some reason, they decided to ignore it and stay off Yonge Street and let the thugs just walk away. I was there and saw it with my own eyes.

It was actually the law abiding protesters that got their asses beaten by the police. Many of them were just people who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. It so easily could have been me, as I was planning to go eat at Chinatown on that Sunday but changed my mind at the last minute.

Last edited:
It was actually the law abiding protesters that got their asses beaten by the police. Many of them were just people who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. It so easily could have been me, as I was planning to go eat at Chinatown on that Sunday but changed my mind at the last minute.
The protesters who got beaten by police were not the "wrong place at the wrong time" crowd. They were exactly where they wanted to be and either refused to leave or were sheltering those who were the problem damage causers on the first day. It was the innocent who got kettled and inconvenienced on the following day, but the beatings largely happened at Queens Park where the protests got nasty.

The protesters who got beaten by police were not the "wrong place at the wrong time" crowd. They were exactly where they wanted to be and either refused to leave or were sheltering those who were the problem damage causers on the first day. It was the innocent who got kettled and inconvenienced on the following day, but the beatings largely happened at Queens Park where the protests got nasty.

alot of the people that were cordonned off at spadina and queen were not protesters but just citizens observing what was happening.

sounds like you are discounting all those reports by individuals after the unlawful detention, including some from reporters who were in the midst of the group, who are shocked at the way police acted and treated them.

It got nasty because those law-breaking police officers and charged them.

Queens Park was the designated zone by the police for protest. There wasn't much really going on there until the police decided to attack the protesters.

Back