News   Apr 23, 2024
 63     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 316     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 1.1K     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Police have moved in, arrests are being made.

Also of interest, another Wet'suwet'en leadership figure speaking out against the protesters.

Last edited:
Police have moved in, arrests are being made.

Nice to hear I'm wrong. Hopefully nothing goes wrong here, and that protestors are too cowardly to try this in Toronto.

Also of interest, another Wet'suwet'en leadership figure speaking out against the protesters.

Was looking at this article- I think this is representative of a media failure to report on this issue accurately- it was represented as a white-black issue (made it seem as if ALL Wet'suwet'en opposed the pipeline), when in reality it was really more shades of grey. The male hereditary chiefs took this initial comms-success and tried to spin it into political legitimacy at the expense of the elected council.

Most damning if true:
Mr. Naziel further says that lineage bars three of the five men from assuming the leadership roles they hold on behalf of the Wet’suwet’en.

“We are a matrilineal system. We inherit our lineage from our mothers. Alphonse Gagnon, Warner Naziel and Frank Alec are not from the Wet’suwet’en nation. [Mr. Gagnon] and [Mr. Naziel] are Gitxsan. [Mr. Alec] is from the Lake Babine Nation.”

This makes them “name holders,” not hereditary chiefs, he says. “Name holders cannot have any say for what happens on our territories. They cannot make decisions on behalf of the clan.”
Titles and land are passed through the mother’s clan, anthropologist Antonia Mills said in a 2019 affidavit submitted in court proceedings related to the Coastal GasLink project. A person born to a Wet’suwet’en woman is considered Wet’suwet’en.
In 2015, Gloria George (Smogelgem), Darlene Glaim (Woos) and Theresa Tait-Day (Wi’hali’yte) helped form the Wet’suwet’en Matrilineal Coalition. They said they wanted to bridge the gap between hereditary governance and elected band councils. All three were subsequently “feathered” and stripped of their titles.

Last year, Mr. Alec replaced Ms. Glaim as Woos, head chief of Grizzly. In 2016, Warner Naziel replaced Ms. George as Smogelgem.

“They did not get their names the proper way. They took them,” Gary Naziel said.

APTN probably had the most even-handed coverage of this issue IMO.

Last edited:
One of the earliest articles I read that didn’t just take a superficial look at what is going on in the Wetsuweten community was by APTN. It was written a month ago, and I think it gave me a good intro to form an opinion on the matter.

One of the earliest articles I read that didn’t just take a superficial look at what is going on in the Wetsuweten community was by APTN. It was written a month ago, and I think it gave me a good intro to form an opinion on the matter.

Conversely, I think the CBC is one of the more irresponsible actors in recent years- CBC Radio 1 is almost unlistenable these days.

Last edited:
To absolutely no one’s surprise, they’ve stayed put, and are now threatening GO lines in the GTA.

That’s what you get when your ‘strongly worded’ statement is respected by no one, and you do nothing but appease extremist factions to the detriment of the moderates. Ford will probably not make the OPP dismantle the blockade unless absolutely necesary from a safety point of view- he’ll be happy to let Trudeau and the Liberals take it on the chin.

And as Nik Nanos alluded to on CTV- they seem to certainly have.

I can only imagine this backfiring on the protestors.

Preventing people from getting to work is the way to spark the ire of the public, rather than their support.

It's a complex issue founded on unwritten traditional law, so it makes some sense that APTN would inherently have a deeper understanding of it. I would argue that, because it is unwritten and handed down, there is not a complete and clear understanding even within the community, and if we think it is without self-serving and political overtones we are being naive. I think the use of the term 'heredity' is a bit misleading, as people interpret it as something akin to a royal lineage. To me it better described as a traditional system, since the leaders can be selected and, as I have seen reported, de-selected.

Conversely, I think the CBC is one of the more irresponsible actors in recent years- CBC Radio 1 is almost unlistenable these days.

I think if anyone is decently media-savvy, the philosophical 'angle' of the various platforms should come as no surprise. CBC tends to be left-leaning, the Sun called for air-strikes two weeks ago.

I watched a bit this morning before heading out. With the need for 24-hour news channels to keep talking, an on-scene reported kept referring to police who had "bullet-proof vests, guns and handcuffs". Oh my! So did the cop that stopped you for speeding.

I can only imagine this backfiring on the protestors.

Preventing people from getting to work is the way to spark the ire of the public, rather than their support.
It seems like some people may have some difficulty going home
FCCDAF0F-F3BA-4594-BF72-0B0EF188C6E4.jpeg

Last edited:
Absurdly, protesters blocked GO Trains tonight between Aldershot and Hamilton.

This may end badly for First Nations.

Whatever sympathy remains will be further diminished when you take away peoples ability to work or get to school en masse.

It really feels like a strategy to support Conservatives and backlash, not induce sympathy.

Alberta Court says Carbon Tax is unconstitutional overreach.

I find that hard to swallow.

Its settled law that Ottawa controls emissions standards for cars; and can charge gas tax.

That's functionally the same thing.

Different name/reach.........but same principle entirely.

Very odd decision.

Alberta Court says Carbon Tax is unconstitutional overreach.

I find that hard to swallow.

Its settled law that Ottawa controls emissions standards for cars; and can charge gas tax.

That's functionally the same thing.

Different name/reach.........but same principle entirely.

Very odd decision.
Not that odd. Both Ontario and Saskatchewan lost their constitutional challenges on split decisions.

It's hard to sift through the media but hasn't the SCC already heard the Sask. appeal and we are awaiting ruling? I don't know where the Ontario appeal stands (I tried to navigate the SCC website but got frustrated). With at least one case under terminal appeal, I'm a little surprised the Alta. SC even ruled on what would substantially be the same argument, but I'm not a legal scholar.

Back