News   Jun 26, 2024
 113     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

was our choice Trudeau or Trump ;)

Not if we remember which Conservatives actually took a liking towards Trump.

Kevin O’Leary and Kellie Leitch both like Donald Trump. See link, from December 16th, 2016.
Conservative leadership candidate Kellie Leitch has said she shares “common interests” with Donald Trump. Kevin O’Leary says he would’ve voted for him.

In an interview with Mark Sutcliffe on 1310 News Friday, the celebrity businessman — who has all but entered the Conservative leadership race — said he’s been very open about his opinion on the president-elect.

“I would’ve voted for Trump,” he said.

He also went on at length about the CBC, which has been targeted for elimination by Leitch and fellow leadership rival, Brad Trost.

“What would you do with the public broadcaster?” Sutcliffe asked.

Not if we remember which Conservatives actually supported Trump. (IE. Doug Ford for one.)

Or two/three, Kevin O’Leary and Kellie Leitch like Donald Trump. See link.
I just remember that the last election debate I went to the candidates at the podiums were Trudeau/Harper/Mulchair. ;)

My point is that you have stability with Trudeau. No, he isn't perfect and breaks promises, but he doesn't rage tweet or call people names.

I don't know, it feels like years have passed and nothing substantial policy-wise has been done under Trudeau (other than the Syrian refugee resettlement and a whole lot of gladhanding).

What will we see from his administration in regards to the increasing number of migrants seeking another shot at asylum in Canada? Will we see no action until spring when the migrants start pouring in?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/asylum-seekers-crossing-to-canada/article34095595/

Last edited:
IMO populist & feminist in tone, corporate in nature.

Just this week or so:

Ottawa approves sale of B.C. retirement-home chain to Chinese group with murky ownership
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bell-mts-approval-competition-1.3983774

Bell takeover of MTS gets federal approval
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...e-group-with-murky-ownership/article34107591/

Toss onto that the approval of a couple of pipelines (though those were really there to placate Alberta).
Sorry, I don't understand.......are you suggesting that to be a true populist/feminist that you can't approve corporate takeovers?

Not sure what the huge issue over this is - nursing homes are hardly critical sectors of the economy where allowing takeovers would be tantamount to a national security issue.

AoD

I think that there are legitimate concerns about a key component of our health care system, namely retirement homes, increasingly falling under foreign ownership, such that key decisions about the health of our seniors are increasingly being made abroad. I get that, and it is a particular concern when the company on a buying spree has murky ownership in a country not known for its transparency.

Having said all that, Ottawa is limited in what it can do. It can review the transaction in respect of those areas of federal jurisdiction (competition, national security, etc.), and AoD is dead right in his comments on that. In terms of rules about the corporate ownership of retirement homes, and the nationality and concentration of such ownership, that's an issue for the BC government.

I think that there are legitimate concerns about a key component of our health care system, namely retirement homes, increasingly falling under foreign ownership, such that key decisions about the health of our seniors are increasingly being made abroad. I get that, and it is a particular concern when the company on a buying spree has murky ownership in a country not known for its transparency.

Having said all that, Ottawa is limited in what it can do. It can review the transaction in respect of those areas of federal jurisdiction (competition, national security, etc.), and AoD is dead right in his comments on that. In terms of rules about the corporate ownership of retirement homes, and the nationality and concentration of such ownership, that's an issue for the BC government.
Not aiming this at you...your post just made me want to point out to folks.....

....there is a huge difference between retirement homes and nursing homes.....and I think the terms get meshed together all too often. Nursing homes I would agree are a key component of our health care system....I have a harder time saying the same thing about retirement homes.

I have not looked at the portfolio of the company being acquired to know if they are retirement homes or nursing homes or, even, assisted living facilities (which sit in between) but this is an area of the real estate market where the terminology is not always applied evenly (or appropriately).

EDIT: very (very) quick glance at their web page would seem they operate in all three areas mentioned above:

upload_2017-2-22_15-34-39.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-22_15-34-39.png
    upload_2017-2-22_15-34-39.png
    41.7 KB · Views: 223

Back