News   Aug 26, 2024
 1.1K     5 
News   Aug 26, 2024
 967     1 
News   Aug 26, 2024
 565     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

The Prime Minister this morning announcing a modest curtailment of the TFW program.

From the above:

1724680094765.png

The only thing wrong w/the above moves, is that they are inadequate in scope and scale, and they're late.

The Prime Minister this morning announcing a modest curtailment of the TFW program.

From the above:

View attachment 591195

The only thing wrong w/the above moves, is that they are inadequate in scope and scale, and they're late.
Changing national policies and procedures is a bit like changing course on an aircraft carrier - it takes time to show results. I think the new Rules for TFWs are virtually same as those in effect before covid. Yes, they could have doner this 6 months ago but 'better late than never'. A longer-term plan should be to SLOWLY restrict TFWs more so that employers get used to fact that if they want labour they will need to pay more to attract Canadians and we will need to get used to the idea that this probably means higher prices!

Changing national policies and procedures is a bit like changing course on an aircraft carrier - it takes time to show results. I think the new Rules for TFWs are virtually same as those in effect before covid. Yes, they could have doner this 6 months ago but 'better late than never'. A longer-term plan should be to SLOWLY restrict TFWs more so that employers get used to fact that if they want labour they will need to pay more to attract Canadians and we will need to get used to the idea that this probably means higher prices!

The low wage stream was almost entirely shut down in the Harper years (excluding agriculture). It was the current government that reopened it. The appropriate number of TFWs in fast food establishments, commercial bakeries, working as office cleaners or security guards is zero.

While, in general, we agree above, I think the urgency to make housing more affordable and drive wages higher is extreme, and in this case, damage to businesses be damned, I expect some Covid-like urgency to slash the number of temporary workers and temporary residents by at least 1/2 over 2 years.

Officially, for now, the government is only aiming to get back down to 5%, where I think 3% or less would be desirable.

The P.M. this morning has also announced tariffs on Chinese made EV's and Chinese produced steel and aluminum products. As one who has travelled and worked extensively in China for the past 20 or so years, and continues to work with Chinese clients, I agree with this move. As one quote from the CBC report notes: "It's very important for us to have a level playing field. The Chinese are very good at what they do, but what they do also includes breaking the rules," . Constantly.

https://thehub.ca/2024/08/23/mike-m...ink-canadas-temporary-foreign-worker-program/

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/bus...porary-foreign-workers-in-entry-level-office/

Abdullah Balal, a licensed immigration consultant in Oakville, Ont., questioned why employers needed to look outside the country for admin workers. “How is a Canadian company in an urban or semi-urban area not able to find an administrative assistant?”

Mr. Balal said this surge of admin work likely includes cases of fraud, in which temporary residents pay employers for jobs, often so they can stay in the country longer and have a better shot at obtaining permanent residency. The federal government has acknowledged the existence of fraud in the program.

Kerry Molitor, a licensed immigration consultant in St. Catharines, Ont., said that administrative assistant roles are highly desirable for temporary residents because they have a relatively low barrier to entry, but still allow people to qualify for the Express Entry pool of immigration candidates.

Back