News   Aug 29, 2024
 84     0 
News   Aug 28, 2024
 731     0 
News   Aug 28, 2024
 2.3K     8 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Canada imposed caps on foreign students first, by a few months.

As to whether the cuts are comparable......

Canada will issue 360,000 foreign student visas next year, supposedly. Canada being 1.67x the population of Australia....... A comparison would ask are we cutting to above/below the adjusted Australian number?

The answer is below. The Aussie number x 1.67 would see Canada issue 450,900 new student visas next year, and we will come in 90,000 below that.

To be clear, I think there's room to cut further, and to essentially limit foreign students entirely to the University stream, no one in Community College.
I would be okay with foreign students studying at colleges, without a work permit or path to permanent residency. I don't think many would take up that offer, but I don't see a reason to preclude it.

I would be okay with foreign students studying at colleges, without a work permit or path to permanent residency. I don't think many would take up that offer, but I don't see a reason to preclude it.

Well, we have to deal w/things as they are, for the moment, or will be (announced) which is that students will be permitted to work 24-hours per week, off campus.

I do see another issue though, which is housing. We don't currently require Community Colleges to provide enough housing to house any international student (and any domestic student requesting it).

This is a huge part of the current pressure on our housing market, which I think needs to be alleviated.

If you want to permit community colleges to recruit international students with a zero-hour work permission (off campus) and a requirement that the colleges build the required on campus housing, I could get behind that. But as you note, I think there would be limited uptake by both the students and the colleges.

I do see another issue though, which is housing. We don't currently require Community Colleges to provide enough housing to house any international student (and any domestic student requesting it).

This is a huge part of the current pressure on our housing market, which I think needs to be alleviated.

A few years ago when I did security, my coworkers were foreign students from India.

They were looking to rent a house and asked if I knew somewhere that would rent to between 5 and 10 students in the same house. Apparently, they thought this was a viable option for them.

What irked me the most about that situation was that they could not afford to support themselves here and thought it was ok to work under the table given the limits on working hours.

Mike Moffatt turning the federal government on blast for the TFW program.

Key Bits:

1724875020040.png

He also notes that employers are using the TFW program to bring in 'Administrative Assistants' in the higher wage category........over 3,000 of them, and that this will have a wage suppressing effect where there is no justification such as an acute labour shortage in an essential profession.

He takes further aim at the Closed permitted system:

1724875153564.png

He's on point across the board.

Last edited:
I propose that we cancel the entire TFW program outside of agricultural programs. Restaurants, retailers and other potential employers of young Canadians should not have the option of driving down wages and job opportunities by tapping the developing world for cheap labour.

And while we’re at it, drop total immigration to below 200k a year until we have housing availability and affordability for those already here. Two working adults making a combined $150k should be able to afford a home and start a family. Until they can, apply the brakes on newcomers.

When I think back to my own immigration story I feel we had it so easy compared to newcomers today. We arrived in 1976 from the UK, my Dad worked at JWT in the UK and transferred to their Toronto office, bringing us over a few weeks later. We rented for a few years and then in about bought a semidetached in Mississauga for about $80k with >15% mortgage. With stable housing, employment and family life we did okay. By 1996, twenty years after arriving I’d graduated university and was making about $50k as a global sales manager. By 1998 I married my now wife, and with a combined income of about $85k we bought a semidetached here in Cabbagetown for about $280k. And we’re still here today, 26 years later. That’s how immigration works, make it affordable and a path to generational success.

Last edited:

Back