News   Jun 20, 2024
 416     1 
News   Jun 20, 2024
 1.5K     6 
News   Jun 20, 2024
 610     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

I think it's very charitable of you to compare modern democracy to taxpayers being a politician's employers. In theory, sure, but in reality, an employer who is dissatisfied with an employee's performance has some recourse. If you don't like what a politician has done, you don't get to discipline them or fire them or undo the damage they have done. You can wait until the next election and vote and hope that the rest of your fellow citizens feel the same way, and hope that their replacement who rattles on about undoing the damage actually undoes the damage, and that's basically it.

Since politicians are not at my beck and call and largely do whatever they want, I feel it just that they pay for their own expenses, yes.
Think of it as a poorly-written employment contract; kinda like when the Leafs sign somebody for big bucks who then fails to produce.

Perhaps we could advertise the job of PM (~$358K) or MP (~$180K) as an all-in pay, no living, travel, etc. expenses and see how many sign up.

You're right. Not exclusively. They have two VVIP movements squadrons just like us. But they also do make non-official trips. It even leads to funny situations like this:

The challenge in Canada is that Ottawa has pretty crap scheduled service in general. Especially when you compare to other G7 capitals. You'll notice that Australia is in the same boat. And their PM regularly flies service air too.
I never thought of that. He would likely have to connect through Toronto or Montreal for a lot of places.

Under our system, being a 'former' somebody gets you not a whole lot of perqs, unlike the US.

What they need to do is create a basic income for all Canadians, not just those on assistance.

The caveat would be in not raising taxes to pay for it. If you do, the average person would lose out in the end.
Pray tell, how would such a UBI be paid for if not via taxes?

I think, clearly some level of taxbase support would be required for such a program, particularly at inception; though the long advocated idea (and the limited examples that have been tried suggest), that the savings from
scrapping social assistance (no one proposes a UBI below what the latter pays) and terminating or scaling back a number of other social supports UBI is presumed to replace; as well as the savings in reduced healthcare/justice system costs, and the additional economic stimulus (economic growth) largely covers the cost of UBI.

Now, it needs to be said, I don't believe we have an experiment at large enough scale to establish this fully; though, GIS for seniors is essentially UBI for those over 65; and the National Child Benefit is arguably a form of same for children.

The key advantages are, that it can replaces dozens of programs, and that it would be automatic (as long you file taxes/are registered w/the state); if you recorded income below 'x' it would be topped up.

However, savings take some time to bear fruit and even if one could cancel 20 other programs immediately there would be severance and other wind-down costs. Invariably some support programs would remain for people for whom UBI would be demonstrably inadequate, or who could not or had not accessed the program.

Worth saying here, there is no version of UBI I've ever heard of that would resolve people being short of money for discretionary spending on meals out.

The most I've ever heard of in various experiments or policy plans is CERB+ or about $2,400 a month; which in Toronto or Vancouver might well not be enough for rent.

A program even that generous, let alone more so, would rely heavily on tax subsidies.

My thinking was that if you increase the corporate tax rate to pay for it, the corporations would raise prices to accommodate it. This would negate any UBI as consumers would be paying more for everyday items.

If you raise income taxes, sales tax, etc to pay for it, the average consumer would pay more in taxes to accommodate the UBI. This too negates the UBI payment.

My point was that no matter who pays more taxes UBI would be negated by the need to pay for them.

My point was that no matter who pays more taxes UBI would be negated by the need to pay for them.

This is not correct. See my post above.

Net new taxes would only cover a portion of any UBI cost, most of that being near-term.

Also, your current statement doesn't align w/your previous one.

My thinking was that if you increase the corporate tax rate to pay for it, the corporations would raise prices to accommodate it. This would negate any UBI as consumers would be paying more for everyday items.

If you raise income taxes, sales tax, etc to pay for it, the average consumer would pay more in taxes to accommodate the UBI. This too negates the UBI payment.

Investment is driven by perceived/anticipated return. What exactly do companies get, in exchange, for these higher taxes funding UBI? Because if they don't think there's a benefit, they'll be leaving. And that's exactly why Canada faces a lot of the current economic doldrums we do. Want UBI? Increase consumption and income taxes. But we both know that wouldn't be popular. That's why you are thinking of targeting companies. That works until they start decamping and we get fewer and lower quality employment.

I've theorized that until recently, Trudeau experienced a post-COVID honeymoon. People were so happy to get back to the normal things they love in life - seeing family, eating out, travelling - that financial matters took a backseat. Now, people are starting to look at their bank statements. Facing sky high housing and grocery bills, they're getting worried. I don't even think the CPC playing footsies with the social conservatives on hot button issues will hurt their momentum. We are in "Anyone but the Liberals" territory.

I've theorized that until recently, Trudeau experienced a post-COVID honeymoon. People were so happy to get back to the normal things they love in life - seeing family, eating out, travelling - that financial matters took a backseat. Now, people are starting to look at their bank statements. Facing sky high housing and grocery bills, they're getting worried. I don't even think the CPC playing footsies with the social conservatives on hot button issues will hurt their momentum. We are in "Anyone but the Liberals" territory.

What's interesting is that the Liberals just don't seem to get it. All we see is culture war messaging. And the occasional token housing announcement (where it's something that doesn't make a material difference, doesn't cost the government much and won't deliver for years). It's almost like they still think this is 2015 and they are campaigning against Harper. The craziest part was pulling out Chretien at their convention. I love JC. But nobody under 40 really has a good memory of him. Nostalgia is not a winning campaign strategy.

The sad part is, today's CPC is probably worse than the Harperites. Full of ideologues who want to "own the libs". But they will win, because the LPC has absolutely lost the plot and most Liberal partisans don't actually understand how fed up the average voter is.

I agree, but IDK if the CPC has the strength to appeal to left-leaning LPC voters who'll this time go to the NDP. But the tea leaves might be aligning in Poilievre's favour. In 2011, Stephen Harper won a majority.

They don't have to decide anything if every other demographic flips too.
If the Feds flip to the Cons before the next Ontario election, does that bode poorly for the OPCs? It's a rare occasion that Ontario voters have chosen Conservative for both Queens Park and Ottawa.

Is Doug Ford hoping for a LPC miracle? He won't do well up against PM Poilievre.

Back