News   Jul 17, 2024
 361     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 493     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1K     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

I don't buy that this would be a very credible attack given that we're literally talking about a rat infested slum house.

But if Trudeau and the LPC were at all concerned about this, they can do exactly what they always do: defer to an arms length commission to manage the whole process. The National Capital Commission, PSPC or Parks Canada could handle it. Trudeau could also pledge to never live in it, and offer to get the other parties involved in the decision-making. Really though, it's simple, he doesn't want to spend an ounce of political capital on this. And that says a lot.
According to the former Australian PM, image rates pretty high in our PMO:

It's been managed by the NCC since 1988. Trudeau is on record saying what happens to it is up to them. But the government still needs to fund it.
And if you believe that . . .

The cost to completely renovate 24 Sussex would be a rounding error of some department's expenditures.

I think people who run for office DO want to 'fix things' and make a difference. However, when they get into office it becomes clear(er) that it's complicated and there are other (powerful) voices/opinions and one needs to pick one's battles. This is not really helped by (most) opposition parties always thinking they MUST oppose everything proposed by the government. In the case of 24 Sussex there is (to me anyway) a sensible reluctance to being seen to spend money on 'my house'; this is the home (and entertaining space) for the PM of Canada - all Parties hope to occupy it one day and all parties ought to want to have it 'fixed up' but I can bet you anything that if Trudeau said "OK, go for it" - the Tories, at least, would immediately attack him for doing anything.
I'm having flashbacks to Yes, Minister.

Actually doing something?

3qo9v8.jpg

Americans are increasingly facilitating 40 yr mortgages:
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/a...40-year-mortgage-a-wise-choice-for-homebuyers

I don't think you'll see things getting better in Canada. The government has made a bet. They've bet that young people don't vote and that old people don't care about the young. And I don't think they are wrong.
And across the bond, Bojo considered 50 years: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...s-50-year-mortgages-that-children-can-inherit

Not really a bet, but an unholy alliance with big biz who need infinite population growth. Lower wages and higher housing prices in one go. This government like so many before it are a complete b***h for the interests of big biz monopolies.

Not really a bet, but an unholy alliance with big biz who need infinite population growth. Lower wages and higher housing prices in one go. This government like so many before it are a complete b***h for the interests of big biz monopolies.

Halon's razor. Why attribute to malice that which you can ascribe to incompetence?

In this very thread, you have people arguing that the government, after 7.5 years in office, has no responsibility to fix a building that is past rat infestation to the point of becoming a rat cemetery. The same argument can (and will) be used for every other issue. Including housing. There's clearly a faction of voters who will literally excuse all manner of dysfunction for their preferred political party. That doesn't incentivize competence.

Globe and Mail had a nice snarky editorial from their business and housing reporter about what the government would say to young people about housing if it was actually honest, or policies they'd implement if they actually cared.

Halon's razor. Why attribute to malice that which you can ascribe to incompetence?

In this very thread, you have people arguing that the government, after 7.5 years in office, has no responsibility to fix a building that is past rat infestation to the point of becoming a rat cemetery. The same argument can (and will) be used for every other issue. Including housing. There's clearly a faction of voters who will literally excuse all manner of dysfunction for their preferred political party. That doesn't incentivize competence.

Globe and Mail had a nice snarky editorial from their business and housing reporter about what the government would say to young people about housing if it was actually honest, or policies they'd implement if they actually cared.

There's definitely some bad intentions to keep housing prices high at the GoC. Nobody's has the explicit goal of screwing over young people but they are essentially saying that "housing prices shall remain unaffordable ... and you shall like it."

As for 24 Sussex, the whole thing is just an embarrassment. Nobody can touch it or the Opposition says "The government is spending TAXPAYER DOLLARS!!! to fix their own house!"

Sigh.

There's definitely some bad intentions to keep housing prices high at the GoC. Nobody's has the explicit goal of screwing over young people but they are essentially saying that "housing prices shall remain unaffordable ... and you shall like it."

As for 24 Sussex, the whole thing is just an embarrassment. Nobody can touch it or the Opposition says "The government is spending TAXPAYER DOLLARS!!! to fix their own house!"

Sigh.
The unfortunate politics of the situation is that housing affordability for young people comes with the price of nuking boomer housing windfalls. For many boomers, this represents the lion's share of their net worth and retirement savings. Boomers vote, and so house prices remain high. Gotta protect that neighbourhood character.

The unfortunate politics of the situation is that housing affordability for young people comes with the price of nuking boomer housing windfalls. For many boomers, this represents the lion's share of their net worth and retirement savings. Boomers vote, and so house prices remain high. Gotta protect that neighbourhood character.
I don't see it so much as protecting neighbourhoods, but it is a huge tax-free asset that people have factored in to their retirement planning: Selling off a (now) $Million+ asset to fund the ongoing costs of a downsized condo and/or the monthly costs of a retirement/eldercare facility for their remaining years. At $40-50K/year, it can get gobbled up fairly quickly.

In this very thread, you have people arguing that the government, after 7.5 years in office, has no responsibility to fix a building that is past rat infestation to the point of becoming a rat cemetery.
I mean this sort of attack absolutely ignores what has happened.

There's clearly a faction of voters who will literally excuse all manner of dysfunction for their preferred political party.
Clearly there is a faction of voters who want to find dysfunction in service of their preferred political party.

Clearly there is a faction of voters who want to find dysfunction in service of their preferred political party.

Who would that be?

Did you miss when I said this?

I'm personally starting to get there with this one. And I've actually donated to these guys for past campaigns.

Guess what? You can vote for and support a party and actually call them out. Hard concept for partisan ideologues, I guess.

Level the thing. (24 Sussex).

Its not a particularly historic or grand building; and not fit to purpose even when in good repair.

While not going completely insane on budget, spend some real $ and endeavor to building something that is not only fit to purpose; but achieves high-minded environmental goals (first passive house for a world leader?); Canadian-led architecture, showy, requirement for Canadian Materials (by which I mean visible use of iconic Canadian Wood in framing, flooring and trim. Showcase the best artisans in the country in art, furniture making, cabinetry etc. Design a mostly naturalized, entirely native landscape, but with a formal entry way and a formal outdoor entertaining space. Get'er done.

Level the thing. (24 Sussex).

Its not a particularly historic or grand building; and not fit to purpose even when in good repair.

While not going completely insane on budget, spend some real $ and endeavor to building something that is not only fit to purpose; but achieves high-minded environmental goals (first passive house for a world leader?); Canadian-led architecture, showy, requirement for Canadian Materials (by which I mean visible use of iconic Canadian Wood in framing, flooring and trim. Showcase the best artisans in the country in art, furniture making, cabinetry etc. Design a mostly naturalized, entirely native landscape, but with a formal entry way and a formal outdoor entertaining space. Get'er done.
I tend to agree. Typically, it is cheaper in the long run to tear down and start over than renovate. I would be a little concerned about a design chosen by a bunch of bureaucrats. It would, of political necessity, have to satisfy every cultural nuance under the heading 'if it doesn't speak to me then it offends me'.

'A camel is a horse designed by a committee' comes to mind.

At least Chretien had the honesty to say why he didn't, but it shouldn't be an Executive decision in the first place.

Maybe they can cover some of the costs by selling Stornoway (Leader of the Opposition) and The Farm (Speaker of the House).

I tend to agree. Typically, it is cheaper in the long run to tear down and start over than renovate. I would be a little concerned about a design chosen by a bunch of bureaucrats. It would, of political necessity, have to satisfy every cultural nuance under the heading 'if it doesn't speak to me then it offends me'.

At least Chretien had the honesty to say why he didn't, but it shouldn't be an Executive decision in the first place.

Maybe they can cover some of the costs by selling Stornoway (Leader of the Opposition) and The Farm (Speaker of the House).

My only concern with tearing it down to rebuild would be the "woke" element to the design.

LOL, or how about support some CanCon on the tube; and have the design and construction made into an HGTV show with an all-star cast! LOL

Mike Holmes making it right, Brian Baeumler telling his wife taxpayers can't afford her taste, Scott McGillvray on how much the country could make it we just rented it out for the summer....

🤣

Back