News   Apr 24, 2024
 963     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 623     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

I think the issue was that she pretty was giving free stuff to everyone and did not care about the finances of the province and over the reign of herself and Dalton put Ontario in a very bad place financially.

I think the issue i have is that none of these policies from many of these leaders benefits anyone who is not on social assistance or has a family and that is most people in society lol...

I find Wynne made it difficult for such people with carbon taxes (with no refund), super high hydro rates and many other taxes and fees from her and a lot of the social policies she created did not benefit them or specifically excluded people like myself.

Like you guys need to realize, why on earth was she as popular as a leper before she left office lol

If Wynne paid any attention to people who are not on the lowest ends she likely be still premier...and would have avoided Ford.

Wynne is a good example of someone who is progressive and cared about the poor but made herself the enemy in the middle class oddly.

Last edited:
I think the issue was that she pretty was giving free stuff to everyone and did not care about the finances of the province and over the reign of herself and Dalton put Ontario in a very bad place financially.
The government of Ontario's debt has risen under all governments since 1989. The Harris government slash programs and downloaded to municipalities and still managed to almost double the debt.
The current government has no plans to slow down the debt either, they're going to increase it while, like Haris, cutting services.
Wynne invested in Ontario and still kept the debt relatively stable.

I think the issue i have is that none of these policies from many of these leaders benefits anyone who is not on social assistance or has a family and that is most people in society lol...
The people on assistance need it the most. Not people who chose to have kids or are well enough off that they're not on social assistance.

I find Wynne made it difficult for such people with carbon taxes (with no refund),
And Ford's is going to cost twice as much. Carbon taxes are here to stay.

and many other taxes and fees from her and a lot of the social policies she created did not benefit them or specifically excluded people like myself.
All of society currently benefits you. You don't need more.

Like you guys need to realize, why on earth was she as popular as a leper before she left office lol
Because people have attention spans of goldfish and believe any garbage they hear from other simpletons on facebook.

The government of Ontario's debt has risen under all governments since 1989. The Harris government slash programs and downloaded to municipalities and still managed to almost double the debt.
The current government has no plans to slow down the debt either, they're going to increase it while, like Haris, cutting services.

The people on assistance need it the most. Not people who chose to have kids or are well enough off that they're not on social assistance.

And Ford's is going to cost twice as much. Carbon taxes are here to stay.

All of society currently benefits you. You don't need more.

Because people have attention spans of goldfish and believe any garbage they hear from other simpletons on facebook.

Lol Wynne popularity crashed well before Facebook memes.

Like you do need to understand Wynne did a lot for the poor but was totally hated by the middle class and surban and rural ontario?

She did jack shit for us apart from making Hydro rates triple lol

She only did something after she was facing defeat.

Last edited:

She only did something after she was facing defeat.

The rest of your statement was a bit much........but this part, you're on to something.

It is true, that the majority of her commitments came during her last 18 months in office, at which point her popularity had tanked.

For that, she can be rightly faulted.

But, its worth adding, that if you take away those last 18 months, she herself was only in power for about 3 years and change.

The vast majority of the electricity price increase happened during the McGuinty years and was already baked-in when she won reelection.

I would suggest to you that her unpopularity stemmed from a relatively small number of negative decisions, most particularly sellling off the majority of Hydro One, and doing so after having opposed this
sort of thing under the Conservatives previously; and not mentioning the idea at all during or leading up to her election.

That smacked of hypocrisy, bad policy, and surreptitiousness. It did not play well in any part of Ontario, urban, suburban or rural.

She also made the concscious choice not to raise the minimum wage early in her mandate (from $11 to $12 per hour) a moderate move, demanded by the NDP; but did move, once it became expedient with a more aggressive increase.

That also looked suspect all around as in 'were you lying to me when you said it was bad idea then; or when you say its a good idea now'?

Finally, I actually think the pay for access fundraising; and the slow-roll out of expanded access to wine and beer hurt her; as it seemed like opposing something popular for its own sake.

Those are all fair critiques.

The idea that she did nothing for the broad middle class is inaccurate; and you would be well served to include less hyperbole in your arguments.

You know you're to the political right of the median here at UT. That doesn't mean you can't persuade people and move the centreline. But to do so you need to make reasonable, nuanced arguments.

Like you do need to understand Wynne did a lot for the poor but was totally hated by the middle class and surban and rural ontario?
She never had support in rural Ontario. Her support collapsed in the GTA.

If you're going to crow about hydro rates, at least place the blame where it belongs, the previous 30 years of governments .

I see that you didn't respond to the OSAP comment. I found it slightly odd that someone so young would use the proverbial "we" in this context (and lord knows, hydro rates isn't really a huge concern for this age group generally either). Not to mention, if there is one group that increased minimum wage would benefit most - it would be women (and likely younger women, knowing the demographics of part time employment).

AoD

Last edited:
This is quite hilarious.
Harris doubled the debt from $100B to $139B. - actually 39%.
McGuinty/Wynne doubled the debt from $139B to $308B - actually 122%.
Ford reduced the independently confirmed debt from $15B to $7.4B in their first year.

If you want, you could say Ford increased debt by 4.3% per year, McGuinty/Wynne by 8.7% per year, and Ford by 2.4% per year.

And why are we talking provincial politics here. Isn't there some news about Trudeau that could be discussed?

I'm often amusing about claims of the best/worst of "ever". 'Ever' is a long time and started long before most people who argue such things. I have no memory of the John Robarts era (1965-1971) but financially it was a pretty solid era ($1.6B debt; 7% of GDP). I was a young working adult during the Davis era (1971-1985) and, although the debt soared, the economy was solid. His biggest problem was double digit interest rates and a recession in the early 80s.

Last edited:
I mean, he's apologized and taken responsibility for this past mistake, so Scheer will accept and move on, right?

“I accept the fact that people can make mistakes in the past and can own up to that and accept that.” - Scheer

I get this place is ultra liberal, but Trudeau isn't getting much heat for this on here and he should. Nothing close to what I read in the Chic Fil Ait thread. Why is that?

Back