News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 726     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Last edited:
Definitely predicted this would happen- combined with Trudeau's "We're all open and weak", and the overload on the immigration system, it can be guaranteed that many of these illegal migrants will be here for the long term. I think this will become an election issue for next year for anti-immigration forces.

What you need to know about the ongoing influx of asylum seekers in Canada
So far this year 6,373 irregular migrants have arrived in Canada illegally, 128 per cent over the number who arrived in Canada between January and April 2017, which was 2,784
1. The numbers are trending upward. Last year, RCMP intercepted a total of 20,493 people who crossed the border illegally. That means they did not present at an official port-of-entry and instead came across the border through unofficial paths to make a refugee claim in Canada. So far this year, 6,373 irregular migrants have arrived in Canada this way. That’s an increase of 128 per cent over the number who arrived in Canada between January and April 2017, which was 2,784.
2. Quebec is the hotspot. Of the 6,373 border crossers that have arrived so far in 2018, the majority — 5,609 — have done so in Quebec. However, about 40 per cent of say they are planning to settle elsewhere in Canada, mainly in Ontario. That’s why Quebec and the federal government are working on a plan to try to encourage asylum seekers away from highly saturated areas like Montreal and Toronto, in the hopes they might instead settle in outlying regions of the two provinces where labour shortages exist and migrants could find more employment opportunities.
3. Housing remains a question mark. Quebec has told the feds it will only open four temporary shelters for refugee claimants this year, with a total of 1,850 spaces. The province says it will not open Olympic Stadium or the nine other temporary shelters it operated last year for migrants because these were spaces not intended for accommodations, such as school gymnasiums. That’s why Ottawa is now working with Quebec and Ontario on processes that could be used to triage asylum seekers from the unofficial entry point in Lacolle to other shelters in those provinces.
4. Countries of origin are shifting. Last year, the majority of irregular migrants who arrived in Canada were Haitian, which is largely attributed to the Trump administration’s decision to lift the temporary protected status for immigrants from Haiti living the U.S. This year, the majority of illegal migrants in Canada are Nigerians with U.S. travel visas. Other countries of origin this year include: Columbia, the United States and Pakistan.
5. Lessons have been learned. After last summer’s unexpected influx caused some major headaches, a national strategic plan has been put in place to respond to any future spikes. It was described by a senior official as “collaborative, flexible, scalable and phased.” It allows for increased resources to be brought into an area quickly, as needed. It is designed to move asylum seekers through the system in a timely manner while also ensuring all of Canada’s rules for refugee claimants are properly followed. That being said, Ottawa continues to try to get the message out that entering Canada between ports of entry is “not a free ticket” into Canada.

http://nationalpost.com/news/five-t...he-ongoing-influx-of-asylum-seekers-in-canada

Curious how long this lasts given the way the CAD is going.

I have always found it odd when Canadians lord their tolerance over Americans. And I've always told my friends and family that the day would come when this would be proven wrong.

The US has nearly 4% of its population as illegals. 11 million total. This would be like Canada having about 1 millions illegals. It's interesting to see the panic in Canada after a few thousand cross. That's a slow day on the US' southern border.

I have always found it odd when Canadians lord their tolerance over Americans. And I've always told my friends and family that the day would come when this would be proven wrong.

The US has nearly 4% of its population as illegals. 11 million total. This would be like Canada having about 1 millions illegals. It's interesting to see the panic in Canada after a few thousand cross. That's a slow day on the US' southern border.
Also interesting that Trump is trying to move the US Immigration system to mirror that in Canada (as it was), and at the same time Trudeau is totally remaking the system by throwing away the past practices of Harper/Martin/Chretien/Mulroney.

Also interesting that Trump is trying to move the US Immigration system to mirror that in Canada (as it was), and at the same time Trudeau is totally remaking the system by throwing away the past practices of Harper/Martin/Chretien/Mulroney.

Huh? Just what has Trudeau changed that is significantly different from previous governments, much less "totally remarking the system"?

AoD

Huh? Just what has Trudeau changed that is significantly different from previous governments, much less "totally remarking the system"?

AoD
Tweet that Canada welcomes all. Canada not protecting borders. Canada changing acceptance on immigrants with illness, disease, etc.

Tweet that Canada welcomes all. Canada not protecting borders. Canada changing acceptance on immigrants with illness, disease, etc.

Huh? Forget the other two, given they aren't even policies and everyone who cross the border have to follow previous policies around asylum and refugee application - and just touch on the last -
  • Every year, approximately 1,000 permanent and temporary resident applicants receive a medical inadmissibility finding. This is 0.2 % of applicants who undergo medical screening.
  • In 2015, the savings to provinces and territories due to the medical inadmissibility policy represented just 0.1 % of all publicly funded health spending in Canada.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigratio...nclusivity-for-persons-with-disabilities.html

And you call that *totally* remaking the system? In the meantime, the economic immigrant class, point system, etc. through which accounts for the lion share of immigrants remains largely the same?

AoD

The tweet was silly (as are all tweets of a political nature made by politicians, if you ask me), but changes nothing.

Canada protects its borders, trust me. Just ask the extra rum and smokes I've had to leave at the border. Or watch an episode of Border Security. Guilty pleasure of mine that show is.

They've only loosened the admissability requirements for the ill. I don't even know what parameters they've looked at. Do you?

Border Security is a fun show to watch! Not sure how some of these people think they can enter the country.

As for us having no security, you are correct. It is just fearmongering from Scheer and Co. to get people worried about what is a small amount of illegals.

Smugness and self-satisfaction from anyone, of any nationality is a less than desirable quality.

It can also lead to complacency, wherein even if one place/business/person is 'better' than another is some sense or another, one may fail to vigilantly maintain that as the case if one is too busy patting oneself on the back.

That said..........

There are real differences in 'tolerance'; or better still acceptance and inclusiveness in this country than the one south of our border.

The difference is not strictly about immigration. There is clearly more 'racial' tension between 'black' and 'white' folks, the vast majority of whom, in the American context are not immigrants, in the first or second generation sense.

Further, illegal immigration in the US has been 'invited' by lax enforcement of employment law, and a considerable cash-economy.

That is not to smugly suggest things could not go wrong here if we were, as a country or society to be irresponsible.

But the situation is not, at least for now, one which is directly replicable in Canada.

Last edited:
Smugness and self-satisfaction from anyone, of any nationality is a less than desirable quality.

It can also lead to complacency, wherein even if one place/business/person is 'better' than another is some sense or another, one may fail to vigilantly maintain that as the case if one is too busy patting oneself on the back.

That said..........

There are real differences in 'tolerance'; or better still acceptance and inclusiveness in this country than the one south of our border.

The difference is not strictly about immigration. There is clearly more 'racial' tension between 'black' and 'white' folks, the vast majority of whom, in the American context are not immigrants, in the first or second generation sense.

Further, illegal immigration in the US has been 'invited' by lax enforcement of employment law, and a considerable cash-economy.

That is not to smugly suggest things could not go wrong here if we were, as a country or society to be irresponsible.

But the situation is not, at least for now, one which directly replicable in Canada.
It can be neatly summed up as: we don't border a third world country.

Asylum claims in Canada reached highest level in decades in 2017

FT_18.04.13_CanadaAsylum_annual.png

FT_18.04.13_CanadaAsylum_country.png

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...ada-reached-highest-level-in-decades-in-2017/

Neither Haiti nor Nigeria are on the Liberal's list of countries with political persecution. Rather, many actually apply for US visas and then immediately seek asylum in Canada.

There's also a shortfall of immigration judges at the moment:

'Appalling' shortage of immigration appeal judges means long delays for justice, Calgary lawyers warn
Vacancies on Western Canada's immigration appeal tribunal expected to cause backlogs
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-immigration-judge-shortage-1.4150043

Reminder that a huge backlog has already existed, and this influx combined with a lack of resources has exacerbated the issue

Canada’s refugee board abruptly changes its scheduling system amid surging backlog
By changing the system, the board is “shifting things around without solving the problem,” one lawyer says.
https://www.thestar.com/news/immigr...s-scheduling-system-amid-surging-backlog.html

The Liberal's most visible response has rather been to send migrants to other provinces- but if the loophole continues to exist, people will continue to take advantage of it.
Asylum-seekers will be fast-tracked to Ontario starting next week

In a bid to ease pressure on Quebec, the federal government will begin sending asylum-seekers directly to Ontario if that is their preferred destination.
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...st-tracked-to-ontario-starting-next-week.html

Last edited:
Interesting to see Turkey as the third leading source country. I'm assuming those are nationals of those countries and so, in the case, of Turkey wouldn't be Syrian refugees coming from Turkey, for example.

I'm guessing it's because of what's been happening there since the failed coup attempt two years ago. I like Turks, let them in! (Not at all a commentary on any of the other countries on that or any other list....I just like Turkish culture and people)

Back