News   Oct 02, 2024
 300     0 
News   Oct 01, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Oct 01, 2024
 735     0 

Platform price tag leaves out some Tory promises

Brian:

The platform, the policy, yes, that which will appeal to voters and get them elected - the sweetly smelling, treacly witches brew of ideas that emerged from several failed runs at power as the Reform and the Alliance, and which they're now ladling out to the hungry masses in Ontario, out west, down east and in Quebec.

I wasn't speculating on what they'll do in power, merely on the route they're taking to get there.

Seems pretty clear that Enviro was not referring to "all Albertans", but to the Albertans within the Conservative party

Yes, I was aware of that when I wrote my post.

Brison bolted from the Conservatives a couple of days after they were formed, even though he had been an enthusiastic PC supporter of the merger. Stronach was also involved in merging the PC and Alliance, and ran for the Conservative leadership. Both might be considered opportunists with leadership ambitions. Who knows, they - and maybe even old Joe - may become proud Conservatives one day, once it is safe to go back in the water?

Brison supported the merger? Not to my knowledge... he was a more red tory. Even MacKay promised he would not merge the parties eventhough he had much more views in common with Alliance policy. Jim Prentice and Craig Chandler were the ones openly supportive of the merger during the PC party leadership race. I never saw Stronach in any role withing the federal PC party although she may have been there. I think she just woke up one day and said "I want to be the leader of the merged Conservative party". :)

More conservative tories went with the merger, the more progressive tories split between the Liberals, Progressive Canadians, and also the Conservatives. The overall voice of the Conservative Party is now less progressive... the progressives wouldn't have let "Progressive" be taken out of the name. Over time the voice might return to being as progressive as the Mulroney PCs but probably not as progressive as the Joe Clark PCs (after the Alliance supporters left).

Brison supported the merger? Not to my knowledge...

He might have been a red-tory, but yes -- in the process of merging -- he did support it. I believe that after the leadership race -- he was offered a good position in the Liberal party -- relating to US relations -- and he took it. Actually, I think he was a good choice at the time. Mr. Dithers just made a poor Prime Minister -- scandal and all -- he would have likely held on -- if he was seen to be taking action and being pro-active.

Shifting party allegiences is merely a part of politics. Besides, if you really want to see shifts, I'd say the continued "evolution" of Harper's stances on pretty much everything make for a far better case of detailed analysis.

Intelligent design, you say?

AoD

Back