News   Apr 19, 2024
 233     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 911     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 8.4K     2 

Plans to fill in Allen Road

quite frankly, we shouldn't be removing infrastructure when this city needs new infrastructure so badly. plus there will be enough of an uproar if they shut down the allen for the eglinton line construction, yet alone a permanent shutdown.

quite frankly, we shouldn't be removing infrastructure when this city needs new infrastructure so badly. plus there will be enough of an uproar if they shut down the allen for the eglinton line construction, yet alone a permanent shutdown.

If dufferin oakwood and bathurst are being ripped up what good would a open allen expressway be. It essentially would be useless. The city does need new infrastructure, transit infrastructure. They did a study of the Allen traffic and 50% of it is coming from 905 Vaughan. Why should Vaughan be dictating what toronto does especially when it's getting a ttc subway stop.

An uproar from whom? What did people use before the Allen? And since most are coming from the 905 who cares about their uproar

Look at the uproar over removing one reversible lane on Jarvis Street.

Where do you think the new infrastructure will be located if you can't even remove old infrastructure? Replacing the sunken Allen with an at-grade road would be replacing old, out-dated infrastructure with more efficient and more effective infrastructure. Also, if the road is going to be effectively closed while the LRT is being constructed I would think that would be the perfect time to consider reconstructing the whole thing. Eglinton will be going into a cocoon for a few years and when it re-emerges it will be beautiful.

Maybe as a compromise they could raise Allen Road up to create a level intersection with Glencairn Avenue, with traffic lights. The inclines at Glencairn will aid in decelerating and accelerating the vehicles.

Where do you think the new infrastructure will be located if you can't even remove old infrastructure? Replacing the sunken Allen with an at-grade road would be replacing old, out-dated infrastructure with more efficient and more effective infrastructure. Also, if the road is going to be effectively closed while the LRT is being constructed I would think that would be the perfect time to consider reconstructing the whole thing. Eglinton will be going into a cocoon for a few years and when it re-emerges it will be beautiful.

I do not know what the condition of the bridges is, but there are 8 bridges from Lawrence on South. If each needs rehab, that is about 8x$5M = $40M - although demolition of the bridges would then be required, which is a much lessor cost. I suppose using the fill from the Eglinton excavations at this site would save money as opposed to trucking it a great distance.

I imagine most people north of Eglinton probably would want things left as-is to prevent more people from using their roads. If all 8 roads became signalized intersections, many would transfer to Marlee, Bathurst, etc. using the many local roads in the residential areas.

just a reminder http://www.joemihevc.com/

City of Toronto is hosting two public events where you can learn more about this study and provide your input. Each event will include a drop-in portion for viewing study materials and one-on-one discussion with members of the project team, followed by an interactive workshop session.

South Public Event
Date: Tuesday, June 12, 2012
Time: 4 p.m. – 6 p.m. (Drop-in)
6 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. (Workshop)
1445 Eglinton Ave. W.
(at Allen Road)

North Public Event
Date: Tuesday, June 19, 2012
Time: 4:30 p.m. – 6 p.m. (Drop-in)
6 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. (Workshop)
41 Ancaster Rd.
(2 blocks west of Dufferin Street, 200m north off Wilson Avenue)

* Both venues are wheelchair accessible. Please contact to arrange any additional accommodations.

Study Overview
The City of Toronto is studying ways to improve Allen Road for the people who travel on it and the communities that surround it. The study will follow a provincially mandated Environmental Assessment process. It will investigate current challenges and opportunities in the Allen Road corridor from Eglinton Avenue West to just south of Transit Road. Currently, the study will create the Terms of Reference (also known as the “Framework” or “Work Plan”) to guide possible future studies.

Primary Study Area extends 100m on either side of the Allen Road right-of-way; 500m radius at subway stations.

Allen Road: Challenges To Be Investigated
Common Traffic Delays
Drivers on Allen Road experience some of the longest recurring traffic queues in the City. Traffic
congestion generated by Allen Road extends through the area, particularly on Lawrence Avenue West and Eglinton Avenue West.

Intersections
Connecting intersections, specifically at Lawrence Avenue West and Eglinton Avenue West, are considered among the most challenging in the City.

Repairs are Needed
Parts of the aging roadway and many of the original retaining walls and bridges will soon require reconstruction.

Poor Access to TTC
The subway stations are difficult for people to access since the entrances are located in the middle of busy Allen Road ramp intersections.

Design of the Corridor
The design of Allen Road is not well integrated with the surrounding neighbourhoods. It presents a
lack of connectivity with limited east-west crossings. The Highway 401 interchange at Allen Road is
a major obstacle for north-south connectivity for local traffic, cycling and pedestrians.

We Would Like To Hear From You
We are asking for your input to inform this Terms of Reference study. Topics to discuss include:
• Key challenges, opportunities, and other concerns;
• Ideas to improve Allen Road you would like to see explored;
• Approach for evaluating the options in future detailed studies;
• Ways to engage the community and participate in further studies;
• Your priorities for improving the Allen Road corridor.

You are invited to learn more and to share your insights and opinions at any time.

For more information, please contact:
Jason Diceman
Public Consultation Coordinator
City of Toronto
Metro Hall, 19th Fl.
55 John St. Toronto, ON M5V 3C6
Tel: 416-392-3787
Fax: 416-392-2974
TTY: 416-397-0831
E- mail: AllenRdStudy@toronto.ca

Subscribe to the study e-mail list: www.toronto.ca/AllenRdStudy

just to confirm i was at the meeting tonight and all options are indeed on the table to fix the allen including it ending at lawrence or it being at grade from lawrence to eglinton.... The problem with it at grade for alot of the community is that they think it will result in condominums and extra density in their area. They are right of course but they see this as a negative... The idea for alot of people around here is to own a detached house and live a suburban lifestyle on a intersection with 2 subway lines.... Also some people came to the meeting in a futile atempt to discuss the lrt and how that in itself will cause too much traffic and should be stopped. The problem i have with meetings like this is that almost exclusively everyone there was over 5- years old and some up into their 90s.... people this old dont want to waste any of their remaining life living in a construction zone so they are not open to change.... if nothing is going to happen i still suggest a heavy toll on entering the allen.. that allows people who want to use it to use it but it encourages others to find an alternative route... my optimal solution is the allen to end at lawrence and my second fav is the at grade option... anyways you can give your persepective online... i hope people on here will give their opinion and i hope it will be alot less car centric...

I'm not from Toronto, so I'm wondering what the benefits are of ending the Allen at Lawrence instead of it currently ending at Eglinton? I'm guessing that less people with use it since it's so short so less people will be exiting at Lawrence then currently at Eglinton.

I've always though a tunnel eastbound eglinton going to northbound on the Allen would releave some congestion. Difficult to do because of subway.

Last edited:
I'm not from Toronto, so I'm wondering what the benefits are of ending the Allen at Lawrence instead of it currently ending at Eglinton? I'm guessing that less people with use it since it's so short so less people will be exiting at Lawrence then currently at Eglinton.

Lawrence has more room to put proper on and off ramps. There's no stores that face onto lawrence so extra cars won't ruin businesses. The longer the allen is the more people are willing to use it and hope the congestion at the bottom isn't that bad. If it ended at lawrence many would find alternative routes like dufferin or avenue road.

Back