News   Apr 24, 2024
 336     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 394     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 749     1 

Planned Sprawl in the GTA

If you look along the 407 you see a lot of distribution and cold storage facilities....this just shows you that the "cost of congestion" calculations are somewhat accurate. Faced with quick access at the cost of tolls....or delayed access due to congestion...the market is voting for the former.

most are located somewhat close to a north-south 400 series highway. go sit in Vaughan centre one day and watch the trucks on highway 7 driving over to the 400... its nuts. The Cornell industrial area has just been rezoned as employment-commercial from industrial-commercial as the 407 is better suited for employer commuting instead of shipping.

The farms in North-east Toronto make Meadowvale a surprisingly quick way into Toronto from the north east.

Richmond hill absolutely still has farms in it, its northern border is Bloomington. North of Elgin Mills and east of Bayview is completely undeveloped.

Newmarket is actually almost completely developed, there is only a small section in its southwest corner that is still developable. Its northern end is still growing but is technically in East Gwillimbury.

There are still a few working farms in Toronto, north of the zoo in the Rouge Valley.

I saw someone "harvesting" hay behind the Leon's building at 400 & 401 a couple of years ago. I'm guessing there are acreage used for farming scattered around the city, waiting for zoning or building approvals or development plans.

I saw someone "harvesting" hay behind the Leon's building at 400 & 401 a couple of years ago. I'm guessing there are acreage used for farming scattered around the city, waiting for zoning or building approvals or development plans.
...and I see a building that looks like a barn near there as well. It is perhaps a hidden working conventional farm in the middle of a completely urbanized area! Note that Riverdale Farm doesn't count, since it is more of a tourist attraction than a conventional farm.

...and I see a building that looks like a barn near there as well. It is perhaps a hidden working conventional farm in the middle of a completely urbanized area!

I doubt there is a farm there. Even small farms are quite large and would be clearly visible. And any farmer from the time the area was rural (50 years ago) would be too old to farm today, and it's hard to believe any farmer's sons would keep farming there for this long.

It's probably just a leased vacant lot used for haying, as you see that in some places.

I thought this would be a good thread to respond to the little article on the front page today.

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2014/08/stuck-past-outmoded-plans-new-towns#disqus_thread

While this does have some form of valid criticisms, I find it exemplifies the typical planning view that a new build development without rail transit is useless. Too often I think planners get into this mindset that every neighbourhood needs rail transit, while that simply isn't reality. in reality towns like these have 2 kinds of transport needs, local transport needs and regional needs. What Queensville and Seaton have set out to do is to change it so that those local needs are met with non-auto trips, but the regional ones are using autos.

You can preach rail connections all day long if you want, but you also have to look at the real world here, too often I see people get caught up in this ideal that cars can be sidelined in new fringe development. it can't. Commuter rail can never serve anything but a token amount of trips in these types of locations (1-2% modal share), there simply aren't trips being made in these communities for it to be in demand. Regional travel from these locations using anything other than a car is a rather hopeless endeavour as the destinations that the residents will be visiting will be too far dispersed. People living in these areas are not commuting downtown in large numbers. The planners who designed these realized this, and planned accordingly. They designed the communities to allow for strong transit / active transportation links for local trips. The stores in Seaton must have street fronting retail, for example. The streets will feature bike lanes, and residential clusters will be focused around high density retail clusters, enabling residents to walk or bike to them. The entirety of Queensville is designed around a large central retail/ high density housing area, with blocks pointed towards it. Regional transport is provided by highways in both cases, yes. But in the cases of these towns, they aren't big enough to justify something much more than a rail station, which would siphon only a small amount of traffic off of the road network. You have to look at these towns in the context of the entire GTA as well, not all of the people working in them will be living in them (and vice versa). The only realistic solution to provide the commercial and industrial growth you require in these towns is to facilitate this through auto based transport. Someone from Markham can't take the train to Seaton for work.

These towns were designed with reality, not ideology, in mind. They need to provide single family homes, as dictated by market conditions. The question is how to build them in the most sustainable way without ruining their viability. This isn't the first time this type of planning has been done either, Cornell in Markham is a good example of how this type of sprawlish new urbanism is constructed while remaining viable. The idea behind them is to allow for local trips to be non auto travel, and although it would be nice to have non auto regional travel, it simply isn't realistic. What these towns set out to do (serve local trips), should be done fairly well. Strong bus routes designed to generate ridership, bike lanes, retail centred in the middle of communities to maximize the population within walking distance, pedestrian friendly spaces, etc. In the context of these towns construction, its about as good as it gets in terms of urbanism. to push for more isn't going to work as it simply isn't how these neighborhoods are built and isn't realistic in the context in which they sit, on the edge of the GTA.

Rather than locating employment areas around a rail transit hub at the heart of the community, they are relegated to a sprawling strip at the far north end along Highway 407 not even centred on the planned transitway stops.

This is a very odd criticism. The employment lands are along Highway 7, which will presumably have decent bus service that connects to VIVA, and the 407, which will have the transitway as you mention. Centering this employment area around a future rail station would only benefit those commuting from downtown Toronto or points in-between along the rail line; it would be less convenient for those travelling from York and the rest of Durham via transit.

You also can't discuss Seaton without discussing the Pickering Airport, which if built will very much require this "strip" of land for supporting services. And I would imagine this will be will be more warehouse/light-industry employment as opposed to office parks, etc.

These towns were designed with reality, not ideology, in mind. They need to provide single family homes, as dictated by market conditions. The question is how to build them in the most sustainable way without ruining their viability.

I can't think of anything more ideological than a town designed so that people have the right to drive everywhere at the expense of any alternatives.

There are quite a few examples around Europe of suburban or exurban neighbourhoods consisting mainly of detached homes and with very high private motor vehicle mode-shares where sustainable local transportation options are supported rather than ignored altogether.

It's pretty simple, really, we used to get it right even here in Canada up until the 1950s. Think Downtown Oakville: a nice and friendly compact grid with slow moving traffic on most streets and shopping, dining, cultural institutions, recreation, etc. within a comfortable walking distance and through a pleasant setting.

Instead it appears we are getting a collection of incoherent disconnected subdivisions with their respective cul-de-sacs and what have you, we are bringing them together through what no doubt will be 3 loud and busy soul-sucking arterial roads, and we are putting all the employment next to (and usually on the other side of) a massive highway.

In the process, we are building a community that will basically be unserviceable by any sort of transit pretty much forever.

I know and understand the improvements of this proposal compared to traditional suburban planning, and I commend some of the attempts to keep the rivers healthy especially, but overall the plan still sets out to build an utterly unsustainable and ultimately dysfunctional place and community. This failure is pretty much 100% the result of ideological constraints (the need to build each of the proposed neighbourhoods along an axis of stroads, etc).

KPMG is predicting that the share of multi-car households in the U.S. will drop from today’s 57% to 43% by 2040. See link.

1. The era of the two-car family will likely decline. In fact, the argument for owning a car gets weaker by the moment. Spending approximately $30k for an asset that loses 11 percent of its value the minute you drive it off the lot and then sits idle more than 90 percent of the time isn’t the most rational economic decision. Mobility-on-demand companies like Uber and Zipcar now provide compelling alternatives to ownership, especially in urban areas. With the potential shift in ownership demand, OEMs better update their economic models.
  2. Enormous opportunities in new markets. Mature markets are becoming saturated, while new markets are emerging. History teaches that when people make it into the middle class, they go shopping for cars. In China, India and sub-Saharan Africa, millions, if not billions of new buyers are reaching that threshold. But the future won’t look like the past, because just as these new buyers get ready to open their wallets, new alternatives to ownership are popping up and gaining traction.
  3. Tame complexity or lose your customers. Some high-end cars now have more lines of code than fighter jets, and the complexity is wreaking havoc production costs and new product launches. Vehicle recalls are at a record high, and customers are complaining vociferously about the design and usability of in-vehicle infotainment. The value of a car now resides in software and electronics - and how well they work together. Get it right or lose your customers.
  4. OEMs are falling from the top of the pyramid. In fact, there isn’t going to be a pyramid any more. The structure of the automotive ecosystem is changing fast. Designing and producing new vehicles have become far too complex and expensive for any one company to manage all on its own, and in the future, horsepower may matter less than processing power. The winning companies will be nimble, future-oriented – and prepared to invest in new technologies, new talent and new strategic alliances. This confluence of factors will forever change the way automakers view product development, the traditional automotive supply chain models, their customer sales and service models, and even their organizational structures.

To access the complete whitepaper, “Me, My Car, My Life,†please click here.

In a few decades, car commercials would become rare, unlike now, in which on almost any given television channel, there is approximately one car commercial per five minutes.

Automakers need to make their cars more reliable, more efficient, and use newer non-entertainment technologies and reduce the need to spend so much money on advertising.

It would be interesting if car commercials (and car billboards and online banner ads) were taxed by an additional 1%, with that money going into green initiatives (including public transit expansion).

The beginnings of Markham's plan to use up a huge chunk of its white belt before 2031ish (12,000 units of housing for a projected 38,000 new residents and 19,000 new jobs). I'm not sure I'm a big fan of extending the bypass road -- it will only lead to more sprawl post-2031 as it cuts through what's left of the white belt.

http://www2.markham.ca/markham/ccbs...1209/Conceptual Master Plan Update Report.pdf

Also, a bit unrelated, but York Downs (golf course) looks like it will become new housing as well: http://www.yorkregion.com/news-stor...r-york-downs-golf-club/#.VH4o7zOeDYg.facebook

As much as I think Markham has been progressive with Markham Centre, etc., there is an awful lot of sprawl still on the way. The only saving grace is that new lowrise developments will be denser than in the past.

Back