News   Jul 15, 2024
 21     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Planned Sprawl in the GTA

Yes and no, while there is of course room for subjective interpretation when quantifying social benefits in any cost-benefit analysis, it's rarely enough to suddenly make a project that is very low in economic benefit be better than an alternative use of funds. In this case, the economic/social benefit of $10 billion that doesn't go to public transport is a massive loss compared to any gain from building this highway.

I agree with you.

That said; I think its important to recognize that some people don't place a premium on the health of the environment, or on mitigating climate change (which they may or may not believe is real); and that still other may value those things; but
value their own short-term interests more.

Some will place a greater premium on inflation of their property value; development opportunities, the (likely very short-term) convenience of a shorter commute vs their own longer term financial health, physical health or that of their children or grandchildren as the case may be.

In my opinion those persons who think as above are wrong; I disagree with them; but in fact it is their right to be wrong as it were.

Now its also my right, and all our right to oppose that nonsense, stifle it; and push more thoughtful policies forward that will produce better results in the medium and long-term, for ourselves and subsequent generations.

Edit to add:

I think it remains important though to understand; and even sympathize in some degree w/those with whom we disagree. Its important to persuade a large number of them of the validity of our anti-sprawl position.
That means not appearing to be completely dismissive of their preferences, nor completely condescending in our explanations of same. We also need to accept that some people desperately want a plot of land to call their own; with a yard, they don't want an apartment. That's not evil; so long as we can shift enough people to different choices; get people to accept if they choose that ex-urban style home that the trade is remote work or a long commute or a more rural lifestyle; and get them to mitigate (ie. not mow 3 acres around their house); there's room to meet most desires and needs.

Of course, we need to intelligently discuss both with those parties who want such things, and amongst ourselves that no option is free of trade-offs.

No option is pristine.

New hirises require quarries and aggregate for construction; and/or iron-ore mines (steel-frame); subways do create their own issues, eat $$ and here, are largely powered by either nuclear plants with their long-term radioactive waste problem, or natural gas plants spewing carbon into the atmosphere; albeit it at lower rates than the equivalent number of cars.

But in the end, there's little doubt in my mind, that we need no further highways stretching to the horizon; and we most certainly do no not need to encourage more sprawl.

Last edited:
I agree with you wholeheartedly. As someone whose parents emigrated from a country that is not a democracy, I absolutely believe in the importance of both respecting differences in opinions and sympathizing with how people form their preferences. At the same time, I also work in a field that is very policy oriented, and have a strong hope that we can progress in bridging between differences in expert opinion and political discourse at large. I think because this forum sways in the direction of being very urbanist-centric, it can sometimes be easy to express broader frustrations with policy making and societal progress. I also generally find your posts to be very thoughtful and patient; it's something I take inspiration from!

Thank you. I appreciate the compliment.

Here are some thoughts I have on how to address sprawl beyond the straight up 'no highways' or 'expand greenbelt' policy options, both of which i support.

First, let me ask a question (then endeavor to answer it); why do people want a back yard, or to live in a single family home neighbourhood? How can we modify midrise and hirise living to persuade a portion of those people that what they need or want can be found in a more dense living form?

My answer to that would be that people will have many different reasons; but some would include, space for children to run around unsupervised (fenced backyard); space for growing food, space for outdoor dining; also a feeling of community; typically associated with the idea of knowing your neighbours; and encountering them, as you enter/exit your home, or across the backyard fence.

So, which of these can we realistically address, and how?

A balcony or outdoor amenity space in a condo/apartment is unlikely to ever afford 'running around space'; so that's largely out. That need may be met, in part, through proper provision of nearby parks, but its not going to be an 'unsupervised' solution for young children.

But, much of the rest can be addressed through intelligent balcony design.

This doesn't mean balconies on every building; it means balconies on the same or, perhaps fewer buildings that today, but make sure they are functional when provided.

That means a minimum size and shape; with appropriate amenities to make enjoyable outdoor spaces.

Typical Toronto balconies are as little as 4ft deep and sometimes not much longer than 6ft.

A 24ft2 space is not an outdoor room, doesn't support outdoor dining, you can't grow much, its just really a needless cost without benefit.

But thinking about those who really want and need some outdoor space, I would argue for a minimum length of 12ft, and a minimum depth of 6ft. At 72ft2 you have a small outdoor room which could be configured to support outdoor dining for 4; and some room for plants; or a grilling station (with gas hook up); and dining; or a small seating area and a real garden.

Where a large space can be managed all of these could be catered to. (22ft x 8ft ) would get you 176ft2 which is a good size space.

Beyond size/layout, you need the gas-hook up for grilling; and/or acceptable safety design to support charcoal; you also want a water spigot (makes watering plants much less hassle, lighting (night time use) and a plug, allowing you plug in anything from a lamp to your phone charger.

On the subject of 'community', I've long thought that apartment doors should be slightly concave from the hall to allow just the tiniest bit of room for individuality in the hall.,

Also, having small, narrow windows beside the apartment door that can create a visual connection to the hall and vice versa may be useful (with built-in blinds for privacy) .

That, along with longer balconies, such that one could talk to a neighbour from one to the next, as one might with a backyard fence could help promote that sense of community.

Lets be honest, the sense of community in many SFH areas isn't great, its often more illusion that reality; but that illusion sells homes.

I think we also need to talk about how to continue to offer SFH for people who prefer that and perhaps need that due to a large or multi-generational family not easily accommodated by apartment/condo living.

Increasing the sustainability of that solution by looking how to keep what people love but on a more modest plot of land, without losing the desirable qualities.

Offering as standard to prospective owners a natural yard of native plants instead of sod or hardscape.

Offering as standard, hydronic heating on paths, patios and driveways if applicable so as to reduce/eliminate salt use.

Then the usual 'new urbanist ideals' making sure new areas feature corner stores, neighbourhood retail and walkable grocery and viable transit.

But increasing a focus on walkability by largely outlawing the scraping away of top soil; and mandating the provision of some larger trees.

Likewise we want to make existing SFH areas more sustainable by making zoning more permissive; but also permitting and incenting natural yards, and salt-reduction technologies.

Last edited:
Yes and no, while there is of course room for subjective interpretation when quantifying social benefits in any cost-benefit analysis, it's rarely enough to suddenly make a project that is very low in economic benefit be better than an alternative use of funds.
Of course, it's an objective measure, but what I was referring to was the subjective measure that different people might have for different uses of treasury funds.

In this case, the economic/social benefit of $10 billion that doesn't go to public transport is a massive loss compared to any gain from building this highway.
I agree. I'm wondering why that much should be spent on a highway we don't need when we "can't afford" transit we do need.

On the subject of 'community', I've long thought that apartment doors should be slightly concave from the hall to allow just the tiniest bit of room for individuality in the hall.,
What do you mean by this?

Balconies are key. I would never live in a flat that didn't have its own outdoor space. The plague has just proven that idea's merit.
I've a small garden with vegetables, flowers, and trees(!), two Muskoka chairs facing the lake and sunset like some bougie cottage owner, and a small table for two to dine. Just about fits and I love it. It's absolutely necessary to happy life for me.

Really, really wish my balcony had power, a light, and a water bib though! Should be in the building code to be required on all outdoor living spaces.

That being said, I wish we could have fire pits because as simple as it sounds, that is one of the main reasons I want to move out of the city.....so I can have bonfires to celebrate life at birthdays and solstices and weddings and births and all that. Fire pits. On balconies. Oh man, just don't tell "Chair Girl".

Here are some thoughts I have on how to address sprawl beyond the straight up 'no highways' or 'expand greenbelt' policy options, both of which i support.

First, let me ask a question (then endeavor to answer it); why do people want a back yard, or to live in a single family home neighbourhood? How can we modify midrise and hirise living to persuade a portion of those people that what they need or want can be found in a more dense living form?

My answer to that would be that people will have many different reasons; but some would include, space for children to run around unsupervised (fenced backyard); space for growing food, space for outdoor dining; also a feeling of community; typically associated with the idea of knowing your neighbours; and encounter them, as you enter/exit your home, or across the backyard fence.

A balcony or outdoor amenity space in a condo/apartment is unlikely to ever afford 'running around space'; so that's largely out. That need may be met, in part, through proper provision of nearby parks, but its not going to be an 'unsupervised' solution for young children.

This doesn't mean balconies on every building; it means balconies on the same or, perhaps fewer buildings that today, but make sure they are functional when provided.

That means a minimum size and shape; with appropriate amenities to make enjoyable outdoor spaces.

Typical Toronto balconies are as little as 4ft deep and sometimes not much longer than 6ft.

A 24ft2 space is not an outdoor room, doesn't support outdoor dining, you can't grow much, its just really a needless cost without benefit.

But thinking about those who really want and need some outdoor space, I would argue for a minimum length of 12ft, and a minimum depth of 6ft. At 72ft2 you have a small outdoor room which could be configured to support outdoor dining for 4; and some room for plants; or a grilling station (with gas hook up); and dining; or a small seating area and a real garden.

Where a large space can be managed all of these could be catered to. (22ft x 8ft ) would get you 176ft2 which is a good size space.

Beyond size/layout, you need the gas-hook up for grilling; and/or acceptable safety design to support charcoal; you also want a water spigot (makes watering plants much less hassle, lighting (night time use) and a plug, allowing you plug in anything from a lamp to your phone charger.

Also, having small, narrow windows beside the apartment door that can create a visual connection to the hall and vice versa may be useful (with built-in blinds for privacy) .

That, along with longer balconies, such that one could talk to a neighbour from one to the next, as one might with a backyard fence could help promote that sense of community.

Lets be honest, the sense of community in many SFH areas isn't great, its often more illusion that reality; but that illusion sells homes.

I think we also need to talk about how to continue to offer SFH for people who prefer that and perhaps need that due to a large or multi-generational family not easily accommodated by apartment/condo living.

Increasing the sustainability of that solution by looking how to keep what people love but on a most modest plot of land, without losing the desirable qualities.

Offering as standard to prospective owners a natural yard of native plants instead of sod or hardscape.

Offering as standard, hydronic heating on paths, patios and driveways if applicable so as to reduce/eliminate salt use.

Then the usual 'new urbanist ideals' making sure new areas feature corner stores, neighbourhood retail and walkable grocery and viable transit.

But increasing a focus on walkability by largely outlawing the scraping away of top soil; and mandating the provision of some larger trees.

Likewise we want to make existing SFH areas more sustainable by making zoning more permissive; but also permitting and incenting natural yards, and salt-reduction technologies.

Opportunities for unsupervised play in denser areas:

This also requires pulling our collective heads out of our butts on street design: make it legal to create truly traffic calmed streets: narrow, no long straightaways, pinchpoints and chicanes, and dissuading through traffic through neighbourhoods. Make the fire department deal with it by procuring appropriate equipment. Parents shouldn't be treated like criminals for letting their children wander the neighbourhood.

What do you mean by this?

I'm meaning front doors to units set back enough from the hall corridor to allow someone to create an entrance of sorts.

That could be a welcome mat; it could be a fake plant, or , one w/low water needs that will tolerate artificial light; it could also allow people, if they chose, to paint their door a different colour, something that looks off if you have doors right up in the visual line of the hallway; but when set back allows for a bit of homey individuality. Most people won't want to put a chair in the hall; but just the idea that the space doesn't need to feel entirely uniform and corporate.

I'm meaning front doors to units set back enough from the hall corridor to allow someone to create an entrance of sorts.
What, and take away precious interior space?! You've lost your mind, man! 😜

I jest.....it's not a bad idea.
Most people won't want to put a chair in the hall; but just the idea that the space doesn't need to feel entirely uniform and corporate.

What do you mean?! Drinks on the stoop! :D

This also requires pulling our collective heads out of our butts on street design: make it legal to create truly traffic calmed streets: narrow, no long straightaways, pinchpoints and chicanes, and dissuading through traffic through neighbourhoods. Make the fire department deal with it by procuring appropriate equipment.
Stop being so damn reasonable, it's a poor look these days. People might think you're crazy. ;)

Parents shouldn't be treated like criminals for letting their children wander the neighbourhood.
No, they should not! My entire housing estate I grew up on would have had child services phoned in on them if anyone living there wasn't cool. I don't remember seeing much of my parents during the week in summer.

"I don't care where you get off to, but if you're not home for dinner, I'll box your ears!"

That was in the 90s, which if we all remember saw the peak of crime rates in this country at the outset. No better way to teach kids responsibility than to give them as much freedom to roam as possible.

I mean, look at me now! Still a loose cannon. :cool:

I always saw interior courtyards as a great way to have that type of semi-private type of space that can be used as a sort of backyard but also accommodate enough people to not be overly exclusive. I previously lived in an apartment building for a few years while away from Toronto that had an interior courtyard. It was pretty nice. It meant that there was a small apartment building community within the interior while at the same time the street was pretty accessible as the building was built with minimal setback.

I'm not knowledgeable enough about architecture/urban planning to have a good discussion about any potential drawbacks of having an interior courtyard versus a more public space but I'll link to this blog post that discusses it in a lot of detail.

Truly excellent post.

I might quibble slightly w/some of the conclusions......but the gist is on-point.

My answer to that would be that people will have many different reasons; but some would include, space for children to run around unsupervised (fenced backyard); space for growing food, space for outdoor dining; also a feeling of community; typically associated with the idea of knowing your neighbours; and encountering them, as you enter/exit your home, or across the backyard fence.

Although I definitely agree with your post, and part of the desirability of single family definitely stems from space for outdoor activity, I don’t think that’s the main reason for most people. It’s more because SFH is what people are used to. Everyone they know lives in SFH, they’ve lived in SFH for decades, etc. Many people frown upon living in any other type of housing at all.

I say this as I’ve lived in a few single family homes for quite a long time, and as far as I can tell things like yards are extremely underutilized, such that using them to justify wanting to live in an SFH is hardly a good justification for many. Most people never go to the front yard at all other than to mow the lawn or do some garden maintenance. The backyard is maybe a bit more useful, there are definitely people who barbecue and dine outdoors occasionally or grow some vegetables. However, most of the backyard is just grass, which has almost no use other than as a backdrop for other activities, unless you have active children that want to play, though in my experience unless the child is very young, the backyard is too small for most activities and most kids would just go to the park where there is more space (can’t really play soccer in the yard, for example). Patios and decks might get some use for outdoor dining, but they are usually grossly oversized so most of it is purely decorative. Even a pool is not very useful; one of my neighbours had a pool and in most years they couldn’t even be bothered to open up the cover to actually use it. Some other people I know who have a pool maybe use it 3 times a year.

Obviously these are just some general statements, and there are definitely people who make good use of the outdoor space. However, there are also a decent number of people who don’t use the yard at all, and another significant number that only occasionally use very small parts of the yard.

Most don’t need a yard as large as a typical SFH yard. A small fraction of the size is probably enough for most people into gardening or outdoor dining etc. The desire for large yards is largely for aesthetic or other psychological reasons.

Also, wrt sense of community, I’d say “isn’t great” is a bit of an understatement :). Honestly, it’s practically nonexistent imo. I pretty much never talked to any neighbours living in an SFH. Maybe that’s just me, but the sense of community definitely is not a good reason to live in an SFH.

Overall, I just think there are are little to no good reasons for supporting large numbers of SFH, especially when things like townhomes and duplexes exist.

Also, as a random aside, I think building homes in a block with a communal backyard and no front yards would be a good idea. You don’t want too many units sharing the yard in order to foster a better sense of community, but it would be much larger than a fully private backyard (more useful), but also can waste less space and cost less to maintain per household. Expensive and infrequently used items like pools can be more easily funded and better utilized. The front yard can be ditched to put buildings right up to the street in order to create a more human scaled street and eliminate the fairly useless front yard.

Although I definitely agree with your post, and part of the desirability of single family definitely stems from space for outdoor activity, I don’t think that’s the main reason for most people. It’s more because SFH is what people are used to. Everyone they know lives in SFH, they’ve lived in SFH for decades, etc. Many people frown upon living in any other type of housing at all.

Certainly that plays a role. But that's also a reality with which we must contend. If people imagine they need more living space indoors or out, then that's what they'll demand be built, at least for a period of time. Changing that is the art of a gentle push and pull; and also finding ways to create a better in-between model, as it were.

Obviously these are just some general statements, and there are definitely people who make good use of the outdoor space. However, there are also a decent number of people who don’t use the yard at all, and another significant number that only occasionally use very small parts of the yard.

I think the balcony size that I indicated as being full-service, would meet most people's needs for a back yard (22 x 8); with a larger family, perhaps a bit more, assuming a tree in the back yard, I would want the tree to get 15 x 15 on its own to allow it grow to full maturity; but even with that, assuming a 22' wide lot, a back yard of 22 x 24 would be ample. Many people do have considerably more; and most don't need it, even from their own perspective.

Also, wrt sense of community, I’d say “isn’t great” is a bit of an understatement :). Honestly, it’s practically nonexistent imo. I pretty much never talked to any neighbours living in an SFH. Maybe that’s just me, but the sense of community definitely is not a good reason to live in an SFH.

This is why I used the word illusion.

In my experience, there is a high sense of community in a small number of SFH communities; that's typically about a few extroverted and caring souls, not the built form.
It is, less common in tower-form; but not entirely absent; and as I noted, I think some modest design change can both boost the illusion; and create a bit more encouragement where the right people (said extroverts) are present.

Also, as a random aside, I think building homes in a block with a communal backyard and no front yards would be a good idea. You don’t want too many units sharing the yard in order to foster a better sense of community, but it would be much larger than a fully private backyard (more useful), but also can waste less space and cost less to maintain per household. Expensive and infrequently used items like pools can be more easily funded and better utilized. The front yard can be ditched to put buildings right up to the street in order to create a more human scaled street and eliminate the fairly useless front yard.

On the couryard configuration, the blog/post linked above speaks to some of the challenges; but in general, I'm not opposed. In fact, I think its more durable than the poster/blogger thinks, but that's a different post!

However, I would add one caveat; while I agree front yards aren't that useful to most people.........

The one thing I genuinely dislike about European streetscapes is their lack of trees, and it does have serious environmental consequences. Now, trees don't need to be in a 'yard'; but you do have to think, assuming you want them; about where they would go in front of homes (does every sidewalk get a wide boulevard or greenway?; how are you addressing stormwater running off the roofs of nearby buildings? Ideally it would have a chance to penetrate the ground and absorb, in most cases one small back yard would be insufficient/impractical. There are other options......a wide enough greenway, supported by infiltration piping would work well.

The other thing we would have to discuss is how create an animated, quality ground floor on non-retail streets.

It can certainly be done; but Europe is not all 'Disney land' in this respect; it has its share of fails.

A ground-floor residential unit with no veranda/porch/patio etc is unlikey to animate the street.

The old Euro-blocks sometimes achieve that by way of large, openable windows, often with pretty window boxes full of flowers; people open those windows and can literally call to a neighbour across the way from their window to the next.

In a street wide enough to support even a single row of trees this becomes less viable.

But there are greater challenges.

Those openable windows work, because they lack screens that we require here.
They work because air conditioning isn't common, so you open your windows during the day and both sides of the house to get a cross breeze.
They work because its not so cold you wouldn't open your windows but for a couple of months each year.

Translate that to a new-build in Toronto.
It will have screens, it will have air conditioning, the winter makes opening large windows undesirable for 5 months of the year.

This is not to suggest we ought not to try this built-form, only that its difficult to cleanly recreate.

We also aren't going to go car-less overnight; and a built form that relies on far fewer cars is not one we can instantly replicate. Hiding said cars underground also has impacts on the growing conditions above, stormwater drainage, streets which support access to/from said garages, and those have real cost implications as well.

I'm certainly no expert on architecture or urban design but one element that seems to have fallen out of favour is the front porch. Both our old farmhouse and our current, 1990s design has a covered front porch where we can sit out and wave and watch the neighbourhood happen (well, on the farm, it was people driving down the road) take in the weather out of the direct sun, etc. A backyard or back deck might be better for watching the kids/pets, personal space, etc. but it doesn't help much in integrating the neighbourhood. I imagine there are all sorts of design reasons for its passing.

Another design I dislike is where the large windows and living spaces are oriented to the back. That might be the desired view or aspect but, done poorly, the house essentially turns its back on the street.

are largely powered by either nuclear plants with their long-term radioactive waste problem

You were doing so well up until that point! I know I should have bit my tongue, but I can't resist 😂

You're bang on about community. The built form is secondary. I've lived in suburban areas all of my life where no one knows their neighbours whether it's a tower or SFH. In fact, I'd argue people move to newer post war suburbs to not know their neighbours.

Same thing with many (most?) of the new downtown towers.

On the contrary, go to an older streetcar suburb like the Danforth, Junction or East York and you'll find much more neighbourly interaction.

You were doing so well up until that point! I know I should have bit my tongue, but I can't resist 😂

I'm not anti-nuclear; its simply a fact that we still don't have a long-term disposal site in Ontario............not one........and our first plant decommissing is on the near-term horizon.

My point was simply 'no option is pristine' or without consequence of some kind.

I see the world in colour, rather than black and white.

Back