News   Apr 25, 2024
 352     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Pizza!

The chef who was at QMP is now at Via Mercanti in Kensington Market, and he took the best pizza in town with him. Absolutely delicious. The pastas and everything else are great, too!

Now agrees with me, but I called his superior pizza ages ago.

I tried Gelato Pizza in Parkdale recently. It's quite dull. Bland crust, sauce etc. I can tell the owner wants to become another chain. Sort of where Pizza Pizza was at 20 years ago when it actually tasted semi-ok.

They do have amusing names for their slices.

The restaurant itself is very clean and nicely setup. Not your typical dive pizza joint.

King Slice is way way better--the trick is tell them to use less cheese (if you're not a fan.) and always always! get the Margherita.

Last edited:
I quite like the indie's Golden Pizza on Broadview N. and Casa di Giorgio on Queen E., opposite the cinemas.

But that's not why I am posting. The other night, I was leaving work very late and needed a quickie dinner for the family. Pizza, wings, salad, blah blah. There is a Pizza Pizza with parking conveniently between my home and office. I have called often the old 967-1111 and ordered for pick-up at that location. This time something strange happened. While I was on hold, that strange tinny music that signals you're talking to India kicked in. The operator's accent confirmed it. When she asked for my address, I asked why? It's a pick-up. She said so she could direct me to the closest location. I said I want it at this location. She said no. I hung up and tried again. This time a man answered. Same routine. I asked him point blank, are you in Toronto? He lied and said yes. But he did not know where Yonge or Bloor was. I accused him of lying and HE hung up.

967-1111 has been outsourced, People. :mad:

I've been eating a lot of North of Brooklyn pizza (Queen and Palmerston) lately and sadly I can't even go back to Pizzaiolo anymore, had it recently and didn't like it at all.

Mind you I'm a Libretto/QMP/Pizza e Pazzi/Via Mercanti kind of guy so thicker pizza (not to mention deep dish) isn't really my thing.

North of Buffalo :p pizza didn't really impress me. I found it too dry and rather small portions for the price. The main problem with King Slice is they put too much artery clogging cheese on their slices--and it's especially difficult being lactose intolerant (I gotta plan every slice I eat carefully.) So I don't eat much pizza anymore. Also avoid nitrates in pepperoni and red meat etc.

The two places I recommended Casa di Giorgio and Golden Pizza suit all tastes.

My guy is the meat man. Pepperoni, bacon and bacon, with extra cheese. Me, I am a thin crust, whole grain if possible, onions, mushrooms, black olives and anchovies girl. I always ask for athin crust and well done.

If you like classic Canadian pizza, the best places are in Montreal. Nothing like them here. I am convinced it's the Mafia cheese and pepperoni.

That said, last month I had the best pizza of my life, and I have been to Italy three times, including Sicily and Naples. It was in Aventura, FL at the Sicilian Oven. OMG.

If you like classic Canadian pizza, the best places are in Montreal. Nothing like them here. I am convinced it's the Mafia cheese and pepperoni.

Really? I guess I was going to the wrong places when I lived in Montreal. There were a couple of ok spots, but I always prefered pizza in TO.

Here's one place in Montreal I recommend without reservation. (Haha. Get it?) It's got it all ... deli, salads, and true Montreal-style pizza all-dressed (pepperoni, green peppers and mushrooms.) It's called Reuben's on Ste-Catherine. There are two Reuben's however. One is in the basement at the corner of McGill College which is fine for smoked meat. But the one I am referring to is the big street level one at Peel.
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/67/722935/restaurant/Golden-Square-Mile/Reubens-Deli-Steaks-Montreal

One more "gourmet pizza" place is California Pizza. It's on Decarie. It used to have a second branch on Crescent St but no longer.

In Old Montreal, Pizzedelic which has all sorts of other things as well.

Generally however, except for Greek food and steaks, I prefer Toronto. Montreal's Greek cuisine is so way beyond the Danforth souvlaki-fried calamari rot. Milos is world-famous, with branches in NYC and Miami. And its former employees have set out and launched less pricey spin-offs like Zante and Elounda. As for steaks, nothing like a grilled rib steak, bone-in, with Montreal steak spice.

Back