News   Jul 15, 2024
 676     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 853     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 622     0 

Pickering Airport (Transport Canada/GTAA, Proposed)

The possibilities are quite enticing, no? Having said that not stopping by Union would be problematical for ridership.

AoD

Through Union and up the (hopefully) future Via HFR corridor, with a short spur off of it to connect to the airport? An airport express train connecting to the CBD and both airports forming a giant elongated U.

EDIT: If I'm not mistaken, the semi-proposed Via HFR corridor goes right through the Pickering lands, no?

Through Union and up the (hopefully) future Via HFR corridor, with a short spur off of it to connect to the airport? An airport express train connecting to the CBD and both airports forming a giant elongated U.

The short spur off the airport was assumed in the Pickering plans in the 2000s - but yeah, that's generally speaking my thought. If Union is impossible, what of Midtown with multiple connections to present/future N/S transit? Take back LCBO as the terminal?

AoD

EDIT: If I'm not mistaken, the semi-proposed Via HFR corridor goes right through the Pickering lands, no?

Yes, you're right, and here is a map showing the Havelock Sub in relation to the Pickering Lands. I would prefer to see a station trackside to serve VIA/Air-Rail Link/GO rather than a spur to the airport. That would allow for the services to be consolidated into one "hub". You could have a Pearson-style people mover to get passengers from the airport to transit hub.

pickering.jpg

The short spur off the airport was assumed in the Pickering plans in the 2000s - but yeah, that's generally speaking my thought.

AoD

If the trip from Union to Pickering is about the same timing as from Union to Pearson, a one-way could be about 1hr, which could theoretically make it possible to fly into one airport, and catch a connecting flight at the other. Not that many people would likely do that, but it's certainly a possibility.

Yes, you're right, and here is a map showing the Havelock Sub in relation to the Pickering Lands. I would prefer to see a station trackside to serve VIA/Air-Rail Link/GO rather than a spur to the airport. That would allow for the services to be consolidated into one "hub". You could have a Pearson-style people mover to get passengers from the airport to transit hub.

Thanks for that! And yes, I agree a People Mover would be better, and I would go a step further and build a local transit hub in between the 407 and 7, and extend the PM to that. Extend the 407 Transitway to that point, and have a 3 stop PM: Inter-regional/Express Station, Airport Station, Local Transit Station.

If the trip from Union to Pickering is about the same timing as from Union to Pearson, a one-way could be about 1hr, which could theoretically make it possible to fly into one airport, and catch a connecting flight at the other. Not that many people would likely do that, but it's certainly a possibility.
That is a funny thought!

Don't underestimate people, I am sure it will end up happening!

With a few modifications the CN line running roughly parallel to the 407 could connect the two airports, and act as a northern Go Crosstown line.

The possibilities are quite enticing, no? Having said that not stopping by Union would be problematical for ridership.

AoD

Also, why are we talking about a northern crosstown when we haven't built the first crosstown yet?

We still have two prominent Prime Ministers without major institutions named after them...
It would be an insult to Toronto/GTA/Ontario to have Stephen Harper's name on an airport. Meanwhile, both Chretien and Mulroney are Quebecers.

Edit: Worth noting that Bill Davis also played crucial role in supporting Pierre Trudeau in repatriating our constitution and establishing the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Federal enough?

William G. Davis International Airport would not sound too bad next to Lester B. Pearson International Airport either if you ask me.

Last edited:
That is a funny thought!

Don't underestimate people, I am sure it will end up happening!

Especially if an airline (for example, WestJet) chooses Pickering instead of Pearson as their GTA hub.

IWilliam G. Davis International Airport would not sound too bad next to Lester B. Pearson International Airport either if you ask me.

Sounds good to me too. It's just kind of an unwritten rule that federal sites get named after federal politicians, but it's an informal rule, at best. Herb Gray was also a federal politician (and even Deputy PM at one point), yet Ontario named part of a Provincial highway after him.

AoD

Than loop it through Union. I see a benefit to having a direct connection to both Union station and the other airport.

Also, why are we talking about a northern crosstown when we haven't built the first crosstown yet?

Well that's how we do transit in Ontario/GTA, build backwards.

Back