News   Jul 08, 2024
 446     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.1K     7 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 649     0 

Pickering Airport (Transport Canada/GTAA, Proposed)

Well after 4 decades it would be nice to have SOME direction on what the lands will be used for. If it is not going to be an airport than turn it over for some other use.

I know the language is more of a pro airport nature but I think they just want to know that the lands won't be held empty ad infinitum

I'm still sceptical of the need for the Airport.

Another 3 million people moving into the GTA in the next 25 years. Will the existing airport infrastructure be able to handle that growth? I doubt it.

Another 3 million people moving into the GTA in the next 25 years. Will the existing airport infrastructure be able to handle that growth? I doubt it.

1 million+ people already living in the East GTA (Scarborough + Durham) that currently face travel times to Pearson of 90+ minutes that would benefit from the airport.

And where is GTAA in the whole process - I know that they have done a report on a regional network of airports in GTA, but what of Pickering? The last thing I've seen was from the mid-2000s.

AoD

Last edited:
I'm still sceptical of the need for the Airport.
Whether your concern is justified or not, there is going to have to be a case made, a new case. Pickering Council itself is making it. I'm neither pro nor con on it, but cognizant that a number of 'relief airports' around the world have not lived up to the claims for need, even if the numbers are correct. Mirabel is the closest example. Heathrow is now touted to finally get a new runway, again, I have mixed feelings on the *aptness* of doing so. It's more a case of which is worse, and not doing that, rather than what is 'better'.

There's going to be a lot of needed discussion on Pickering.

If the feds decide to move forward with Pickering Airport, I'll repeat what I've said before: I'd like to see it accompanied with plans for supporting transportation infrastructure. To start:
  • Another express train to/from Union (that's actually express; no stops between)
  • Extension of the Highway 7 Rapidway, with routing that serve surrounding employment uses
  • A rail station to serve:
    • a new GO line serving midtown Toronto and continuing west along the existing Milton Line
    • VIA to/from Peterborough, if they move forward with that.
  • A multi-modal freight yard, with a focus on air-to-rail

If the feds decide to move forward with Pickering Airport, I'll repeat what I've said before: I'd like to see it accompanied with plans for supporting transportation infrastructure. To start:
  • Another express train to/from Union (that's actually express; no stops between)
  • Extension of the Highway 7 Rapidway, with routing that serve surrounding employment uses
  • A rail station to serve:
    • a new GO line serving midtown Toronto and continuing west along the existing Milton Line
    • VIA to/from Peterborough, if they move forward with that.
  • A multi-modal freight yard, with a focus on air-to-rail

I wonder whether UPX can be redesigned to run at enhanced speed (more than 80kph) from Pearson-Union-Pickering (PUPX?) and do so in a way that would allow for luggage check-in at stations. That could be a powerful combination.

Note - HFR.

AoD

Last edited:
I wonder whether UPX can be redesigned to run at enhanced speed (more than 80kph) from Pearson-Union-Pickering (PUPX?) and do so in a way that would allow for luggage check-in at stations. That could be a powerful combination.

Note - HFR.

AoD
With a few modifications the CN line running roughly parallel to the 407 could connect the two airports, and act as a northern Go Crosstown line.

Back