News   Apr 24, 2024
 265     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 343     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 686     1 

Pickering Airport (Transport Canada/GTAA, Proposed)

Fundamentally, this government (and I would argue that plenty of Canadians) think cutting emissions is important. The next budget is rumored to be "The Climate Change" budget.

For Southern Ontario that means shifting some trips, from road and air to rail. Both for intra-city (transit) and inter-city. This is what HFR is about.

So I'm curious what the business case is for Pickering once you take out a lot of Ottawa and Montreal trips. Because much as per capita emissions to Sudbury and North Bay can be discussed, there aren't enough trips in Southern Ontario to justify building anything bigger than Billy Bishop. Especially if more trips to Ottawa and Montreal are going by rail.

Let's stop comparing Pickering to Mirable. At least the Pickering Airport will be a reasonable distance from the city.

Let's instead compare it to the brand new airport in Berlin, the Berlin Brandenburg Airport. It was built in 2006. It is still not open. Basically it has had multiple construction and engineering problems.

It's not really a fair comparison. Berlin Brandenburg is built at an existing airfield . It's closer to building a new terminal at Pearson than a whole new airport. The Pickering proposal is far more complicated than Berlin Brandenburg.

Fundamentally, this government (and I would argue that plenty of Canadians) think cutting emissions is important. The next budget is rumored to be "The Climate Change" budget.

For Southern Ontario that means shifting some trips, from road and air to rail. Both for intra-city (transit) and inter-city. This is what HFR is about.

So I'm curious what the business case is for Pickering once you take out a lot of Ottawa and Montreal trips. Because much as per capita emissions to Sudbury and North Bay can be discussed, there aren't enough trips in Southern Ontario to justify building anything bigger than Billy Bishop. Especially if more trips to Ottawa and Montreal are going by rail.

We would need that line to be built fast, as the doom and gloom of the congestion at Pears on is enough to make people like @MarkBrooks cry. The new rolling stock ordered should help draw people away from flying. Via really should use the security times as a way to show people that rail is viable. The time from parking lot to parking lot would be about the same whether you fly or take the train.

It's not really a fair comparison. Berlin Brandenburg is built at an existing airfield . It's closer to building a new terminal at Pearson than a whole new airport. The Pickering proposal is far more complicated than Berlin Brandenburg.

My point is, there are lots of failed airports. This one is within the last few years... Well, it should have been open 15 years ago, and is still not ready. Imagine that happening here?

We would need that line to be built fast, as the doom and gloom of the congestion at Pears on is enough to make people like @MarkBrooks cry. The new rolling stock ordered should help draw people away from flying. Via really should use the security times as a way to show people that rail is viable. The time from parking lot to parking lot would be about the same whether you fly or take the train.

My point is, there are lots of failed airports. This one is within the last few years... Well, it should have been open 15 years ago, and is still not ready. Imagine that happening here?

why the straw man stuff? I have stated many times that, just like most aviation enthusiast, I support expanding rail in every way possible yet you insist on misinformation and misdirection. Why? Can you not see the vision that is Canada’s future prosperity ?

Rail and Air service are an intertwined part of the national vision that is Canadas transportation future.

EVs and subways for our cities, Rail for intercity corridors that have the population density to support it, and Air travel everywhere else.

Air travel is accelerating and we need the infrastructure to support it.

Close your eyes and imagine the economic and emissions efficiency.

VIA rail Turning a profit just because it was allowed to follow a reasonable HFR plan instead of some politicians HSR pipe dream, Imagine that!

Last edited:
Hardly, pickering airport supporters are to a person Hamilton Airport supporters, because they know the importance of the future role each will need to play on their respective sides of The GTA and passenger catchment areas.

Go Hamilton Go!

New year, new you? You have been adamant that the Hamilton Airport needs to be ignored and we need to focus on Pickering. In fact, you have stated that once Pickering is built, Pearson can handle t demand of the western side of the GTA.

why the straw man stuff? I have stated many times that, just like most aviation enthusiast, I support expanding rail in every way possible yet you insist on misinformation and misdirection. Why? Can you not see the vision that is Canada’s future prosperity ?

Rail and Air service are an intertwined part of the national vision that is Canadas transportation future.

EVs and subways for our cities, Rail for intercity corridors that have the population density to support it, and Air travel everywhere else.

Air travel is accelerating and we need the infrastructure to support it.

Close your eyes and imagine the economic and emissions efficiency.

VIA rail Turning a profit just because it was allowed to follow a reasonable HFR plan instead of some politicians HSR pipe dream, Imagine that!

Since when? You only want the train to go to the airport. You have stated that money should go to Pickering instead of an HSR line.

New year, new you? You have been adamant that the Hamilton Airport needs to be ignored and we need to focus on Pickering. In fact, you have stated that once Pickering is built, Pearson can handle t demand of the western side of the GTA.

Since when? You only want the train to go to the airport. You have stated that money should go to Pickering instead of an HSR line.
Such obvious deception on your part says it all. I have never said any of the points you just stated. Just the opposite. But I get from this that you are just just trolling, which is sad As by doing so you hurt the very things you propose to support.

good day.

Such obvious deception on your part says it all. I have never said any of the points you just stated. Just the opposite. But I get from this that you are just just trolling, which is sad As by doing so you hurt the very things you propose to support.

good day.

Do you really want me to go through the last 100 pages and 1,500 posts to show you? I am not trolling. I want to see us build up our existing infrastructure before we build anything new.

How will a new airport boost our economy.?

Pickering airport will create jobs, create economic activity and tax revenue far beyond its ,size,. Using industry standards, by 2040

48,000 jobs!
$13 billion in economic activity
$500+ million in income taxes

How will a new airport boost our economy.?

Pickering airport will create jobs, create economic activity and tax revenue far beyond its ,size,. Using industry standards, by 2040

48,000 jobs!
$13 billion in economic activity
$500+ million in income taxes

How much would expanding Hamilton Airport create? How much will HSR Between Windsor and Montreal?

It's interesting to see how fast Hamilton is growing. They had 32% YOY growth. Over 955 000 passengers. They'll be over a million pax in 2020.

And then there's growing investment from cargo operators. Like this $100 million investment by DHL:

Should add that London saw 27% growth and is at 683k.

This increases my skepticism on Pickering. I can't see the government wanting to turn YHM and YXU into a bunch of stranded/depreciating assets. Especially when there's a rail plan in the works that helps Durham and other transit developments that would make accessing Pearson much easier (GO RER).

Last edited:
Picking Airport will be carbon neutral when it opens in 2028-2030.

Not just the airport, but the flights as well. This is the goal of CORSIA, carbon neutral transportation on a global scale.

‪Building Pickering Airport is key to meeting Canadian aviations challenges to become carbon neutral.
The new Airport will play an important role removing congestion and will be Canadas first new carbon neutral airport with carbon neutral flights when it opens in 2028.

Back