News   Jul 12, 2024
 864     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 776     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 326     0 

Pic of the Day

Which version of Pic Of The Day do you want to see?

• Small pic with caption on top

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Small pic with caption on bottom

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Small pic with caption on top with option to expand picture in new window

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Small pic with caption on bottom with option to expand picture in new window

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • Slighty larger pic with no caption

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Slighty larger pic with no caption with option to expand picture in new window

Votes: 13 27.7%

• Total voters
Are there any reasons why the photo couldn't be like twice the size it is now? Would it hog too much bandwidth or something? There's certainly room - the pix are smaller than both the UT logo and the google ad. Captions, while useful for some pix, are not necessary for all of them...on the odd chance of a pic that's generally hard to identify, well, there's nothing wrong with a dedicated 'pic of the day' thread where it can be discussed.

Didin't some of the islands wash away in a big storm once?

btw site admins, I notice the pic of the day links to http://www.urbantoronto.ca/picoftheday/picoftheday_large.jpg?<? echo rand(1,3000); ?>

If you want to use PHP in the vBulletin template, you'll need to create a plugin at hook location global_start and put the PHP in there. You'll need to assign the rand(1,3000); to a variable, say like $randomnumber = rand(1,3000); then in the header template where the pic of the day is entered, simply put $randomnumber after the question mark at the end of the URL. If you need more instructions just message me, I do this type of thing alot on SkyscraperPage Forum.

Dang, I missed that. Anyone else get that?

I've really been loving the pic of the day lately (and the captions)... great stuff. I have only one request: can they be higher-resolution in the pop-up window? I realllly want to see more detail in that vintage Yonge and Bloor pic!

I've noticed lately the images for pic of the day are very low quality. Grainy looking gifs. Is this intentional?

thanks for all your work Ed on migrating the site and fixing all these 'little bugs' :D

I've noticed lately the images for pic of the day are very low quality. Grainy looking gifs. Is this intentional?

Not intentional though I haven't really noticed that the quality is poor. Mind you I'm pulling the photos from the site for the most part so the quality depends on the photographer.

I think it's because a gif doesn't have as many colours as a jpg, so that could be why I'm seeing the graininess.

Would it be possible to provide a reference link to the thread & post number the pic originated?

(or are these separate user submissions?)

Last edited:
I was also thinking that. It would be cool if the photo was of a specific development if it had a link to the project in the pop-up image. Either under the pic, or linked into it.

Back