News   Jun 26, 2024
 152     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 295     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.9K     2 

Photo Of The Day

I disagree, Darkstar. If built, it would have added a sense of place similar to what the CN Tower added. It would have re-imagined a historically familiar structure in contemporary materials ( you can only do that sort of thing - for the first time - once - and I.M. Pei's Louvre pyramid went on to do it ... ) by appropriating an idea and tweaking it rather than producing a dreary Las Vegas faux copy.

Greetings From The Leslie Spit. Photo by smuncky.
Jan 6, 2009
Spit1(smuncky).jpg

King and Yonge. Photo by flar.
Jan 8, 2009
KING_YONGE(flar).jpg

A great corner with historical vibe, thanks Ed007Toronto and flar.

The old TD bank building on the right... during a Doors Open tour, the guide said there was a secret way in and out of the basement vault known only to the manager - it involved a 'breakthrough' panel that could be kicked open; otherwise it looked like solid steel vault wall.:cool:

That particular photo reminds me a lot of Chicago in the winter.

that galt/georgetown rail sub. looks like a river in chicago.

i forgot the name of that chicago river though. ;)

A great corner with historical vibe, thanks Ed007Toronto and flar.

The old TD bank building on the right... during a Doors Open tour, the guide said there was a secret way in and out of the basement vault known only to the manager - it involved a 'breakthrough' panel that could be kicked open; otherwise it looked like solid steel vault wall.:cool:

Harry Stinson mentioned to me that during a reno of the building (I think a much earlier one than his) engineers found discrepancies between what were on the floor plans versus what they actually found on one of the upper floors. A section of the floor was missing. Upon knocking down some walls they found an area that was previously used as a bar/brothel. This was during the 20's when we had prohibition. Of course the Dominion Bank headquarters were below.

Harry Stinson mentioned to me that during a reno of the building (I think a much earlier one than his) engineers found discrepancies between what were on the floor plans versus what they actually found on one of the upper floors. A section of the floor was missing. Upon knocking down some walls they found an area that was previously used as a bar/brothel. This was during the 20's when we had prohibition. Of course the Dominion Bank headquarters were below.

Well, Harry mentioned to ME :rolleyes: that the light fixture in the old Executive Meeting Room came from Home Depot. This was after he got a 5 figure quote to recreate the original.:)

could have very well been canada's first sperm bank!

so while people were downstairs, being busy opening accounts, making deposits, withdrawals and paying service fees, people were upstairs, getting busy "opening accounts", "making deposits", "withdrawals" and paying "service fees"?? i bet if you couldn't find a teller downstairs, there would always be one open upstairs, nudge, nudge. :cool:

did the bank know this was going on?

Interesting goings on in that building...

I remember taking that photo back in June, it was sunny, then it poured rain for about one minute, then it was sunny again. Everything looks good when it's wet and bright at the same time.

Back