News   Apr 17, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 324     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

PATH Network Expansion (various, various, various)

It would be fun to take WislaHD's base map and use it to create a full catalogue of the semi-disjointed PATH networks in the core. (Not just Yonge/Bloor, but the ones hanging off Bay, too.)

Do I read Wikipedia correctly that the PATH is only 3 km shy of overtaking Montreal's RESO as the largest underground city in the world? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underground_city#Canada

I have actually been filling in future sites and extensions of the PATH network gradually over the past few days. I haven't done any 'hanging' off of Bay though, do you mean at Bay station?

And yes, the PATH is pretty unique even globally, I am pretty sure it is already the largest shopping complex in the world. If we keep fostering its growth, I am confident it can become a uniquely Torontonian landmark and tourist attraction. We can even utilize it to overcome some of our biggest problems, like the physical barrier between our lakefront and our downtown created by the Gardiner, Lakeshore and the rail corridor.

One small suggestion for WislaHD's map: the BD subway should be green instead of yellow. You also might want to consider adding the Yonge station platform on the BD line, although there are no direct PATH tunnels connecting to that platform.

I have been doing some minor adjustments here and there. I've added the future extensions of Harbour and Church streets, fixed up the Bloor-Yonge subway intersection a bit, and yes added the Yonge platform at B-Y. I will look at coloring line 2 green. Speaking of which, does anyone have an accurate map of the locations of the subway platforms and tunnels? I was mostly guesstimating when I was doing it.

I have actually been filling in future sites and extensions of the PATH network gradually over the past few days. I haven't done any 'hanging' off of Bay though, do you mean at Bay station?.

I could be entirely wrong about this, but in addition from the Y/B-complex that runs from Yonge Station to Bay Station, there's a connection to the exit at the west end of Bay Station - you can only access it by paying a fare and walking the platform. Still, I *think* some buildings on the north side of Bloor are connected.

This is what I have so far for Bloor-Yonge:

DGESlP9.png

What other connections am I missing?

Also I must say that once One Bloor East/West are constructed, we may as well add Bloor-Yonge to the PATH network, it will be more extensive than College Park already. Especially with 7 stories of retail coming to One Bloor West.

Last edited:
Yup, the Yonge line deviates to the east of Yonge street so that One Bloor is actually on the west side of the subway line.

Yah I realize that the 1 Bloor's come in from the west. I will reconfigure the subway lines and the corresponding PATH tunnels in the next version.

I updated my last post adding the connection to 33 Bloor E building.

80 Bloor West is also connected to Bay Station. The TTC mistakenly says it's 80 Bloor East though:

https://www.ttc.ca/Subway/Stations/Bay/station.jsp#StationDescription_

EDIT: Also, your map makes it seem like there are separate connections to Bay Station for both 60 Bloor West and the Holt Renfrew Centre. In reality, it's one exit to Cumberland Terrace, which leads to 60 Bloor W, Holt Renfrew and Manulife.

Last edited:
Yah I realize that the 1 Bloor's come in from the west. I will reconfigure the subway lines and the corresponding PATH tunnels in the next version.

You can use google maps to see the location of the subway tunnels.

Screen shot 2015-02-14 at 7.57.42 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-02-14 at 7.57.42 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-02-14 at 7.57.42 PM.png
    287.9 KB · Views: 953
I believe there is a connection under cumberland st, from cumberland terrace to the building/parking structure on the north side of cumberland (north from the food court).

I would imagine it is only a matter of time before the four seasons gets a link through that parking structure (when it is redeveloped).

The exist on the west side of bloor connects to the building by the rock in yorkville...I think there used to be a Nike store in that building, but it is gone now...

Last edited by a moderator:
Do I read Wikipedia correctly that the PATH is only 3 km shy of overtaking Montreal's RESO as the largest underground city in the world? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underground_city#Canada

I believe that number was from before the recent/proposed additions (Front/York, Waterpark Place 3, Skywalk to SFC addition, EY tower, BA3, etc etc) and doesn't include the College Park and Yonge/Bloor sections. (hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm not entirely sure)

Montreal's network also includes many disconnected sections:
reso1.jpg

(source)

So if we include the College Park complex as well as the network around Yonge/Bloor, we should have the largest underground city in the world.

Attachments

• reso1.jpg
    reso1.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 1,017
This is what I have so far for Bloor-Yonge:

DGESlP9.png

You should make the new connections with a different color so we know what exists now. Does the existing system reach Bay? Would the two 1 Bloor's connect to the two 2 Bloor's through the unpaid area of the subway station?

Also, one thing I find odd is the lack of an indoor connection to the CN Tower and Ripley's, and no connection between Richmond-Adelaide and BAC.

there is an indoor connection to the CN tower if you want to, I think. Cut through the convention centre lobby over to John street and go across the John street bridge which connects directly to the CN tower.

Note that Bay station is entirely west of Bay st. only one pedestrian tunnel goes under the street to connect with Cumberland Terrace.
The Bloor line runs under Cumberland Terrace which is north of both the the Holt Renfrew Centre and 60 Bloor. One pathway goes directly east-west through CT with a branch going south to 60 Bl then continuing east to the HR Ctr, both paths are connected with north-south branches in the HR Ctr and again at 2 Bloor W.

So I have made an update on the PATH map: http://i.imgur.com/tnRa2Mv.png

I think I have satisfied many of the early issues with the map, but the connections around Bloor-Yonge are based on a map with inaccurate station platform locations. Suggestions and corrections are welcomed.

Last edited:
The exist on the west side of bloor connects to the building by the rock in yorkville...I think there used to be a Nike store in that building, but it is gone now...

I think you mean 110 Bloor West. I can't remember if it actually counts though. As I recall, when you come out of the station at the West end of the platform you pass through the turnstiles and can either go up the stairs to exit at street level beside the large rock, or you can go left into the basement of 110 Bloor W. However, to do so I think you have to go outside briefly, crossing a 20' wide moat. In this link you can see what I'm talking about. The "PATH" pedestrian access is an outdoor passage underneath the bridge into the main level where the guy in the light shirt is walking.

Last edited:

Back