StanleyGreeneMap_Web.jpg

Daily Commercial News

RESIDENTIAL, COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENT
Proj: 9081526-6
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON
CONTEMPLATED
Downsview Park, Sheppard Ave W, Allen Rd, M3K 2B6
$50,000,000 est

Note: Consultant has completed a four-phase multi-disciplinary planning study to be used as a recommended planning framework for the area. The study included an Master Plan and Environmental Assessment (EA) as phases one and two, which include a Transportation Master Plan, transit and parking strategies and implementation strategies. The study will dictate implementation of zoning and urban design guidelines. A Public Information Centre (PIC) will be held September, 2009 at the North York Civic Centre. Owner will present the EA, the related studies and public comment to City Council for approvals early November, 2009. Further update late November, 2009.

Project: proposed development of 212 acres of parkland in the 260 hectare Downsview Park, for the construction of a residential or commercial development. This project may include high-rise condominium buildings, townhouses, and retail space. Also proposed is redevelopment of 300 acres of existing parkland, community spaces, restaurants, and commercial space. The NE corner of the site can be followed under report number 1255962.

Scope: 212 acres

Development: New

Category: Apartment bldgs; Retail, wholesale services; Restaurants; Parking bldgs

First report Thu May 08, 2008. Last report Thu Apr 23, 2009.
This report Tue Aug 25, 2009.

http://dcnonl.com/cgi-bin/top10.pl?rm=show_top10_project&id=49c5b23f7b0cde2a0becdc5f9a17a48c26b5ebf1&projectid=9081526&region=ontario

Some very beautiful architecture there! The park looks nice, but it needs something else. And I'm not sure what that something else could be. It feels too barren, as if it needs some kind of attraction besides being a green park.

Some very beautiful architecture there! The park looks nice, but it needs something else. And I'm not sure what that something else could be. It feels too barren, as if it needs some kind of attraction besides being a green park.

I think a man-made lake with a great beach would have been nice, for all the local kids, whos families can't afford a cottage. This city needs at least one decent beach. Sure, the retail looks good in pictures but we all know it will look nothing like that. This park looks pretty much like just a big, empty space, surrounded by some condos and some stores. I see nothing impressive in those renderings, it's just lots of grass and trees. This being an urban national park, what makes this different than any other park? It needs some major attractions and/or large scale recreational facilities. An amazing park design would be nice but maybe that's asking too much for Canada's first, urban, national park. After developers buy up the land and build typical condos, it will look like any other neighbourhood in North York.

Last edited:
I think a man-made lake with a great beach would have been nice, for all the local kids, whos families can't afford a cottage. This city needs at least one decent beach. Sure, the retail looks good in pictures but we all know it will look nothing like that. This park looks pretty much like just a big, empty space, surrounded by some condos and some stores. I see nothing impressive in those renderings, it's just lots of grass and trees. This being an urban national park, what makes this different than any other park? It needs some major attractions and/or large scale recreational facilities. An amazing park design would be nice but maybe that's asking too much for Canada's first, urban, national park. After developers buy up the land and build typical condos, it will look like any other neighbourhood in North York.

The city needs a decent beach? What about the eastern beaches, Cherry Beach, the Toronto Islands, the western beaches, and the urban beaches such as Sugar Beach? I do, however, agree that the parklands could use more attractions, and I think that a stadium could be great for the area, though Rob Ford (and suburban American-oriented football leagues) would probably want huge parking lots for tailgate parties.

When I look at this plan, I think that they should also extend the transformation to Keele Street, and include a plan for redeveloping the underdeveloped stripmalls and housing on the west side. It would be great to see strong midrise streetscape of mixed-use buildings with commercial space on the ground floor on both sides of Keele.

The city needs a decent beach? What about the eastern beaches, Cherry Beach, the Toronto Islands, the western beaches, and the urban beaches such as Sugar Beach? I do, however, agree that the parklands could use more attractions, and I think that a stadium could be great for the area, though Rob Ford (and suburban American-oriented football leagues) would probably want huge parking lots for tailgate parties.

When I look at this plan, I think that they should also extend the transformation to Keele Street, and include a plan for redeveloping the underdeveloped stripmalls and housing on the west side. It would be great to see strong midrise streetscape of mixed-use buildings with commercial space on the ground floor on both sides of Keele.

I personally, don't think any of those beaches are very nice. I might have higher standards than some people on this site. I don't want trees, bushes, twigs, plants, weeds, stones, leaves and other objects, in the sand. (and especially not dog poop) How about umbrellas, lounge chairs, showers, rental stores, a nice restaurant, a cafe and all the services that great beaches have? (Think South Of France) Besides that, the water is too cold for most people. There is also the perception that the water is polluted. Yes, we know that's not the case but the reality is, very few people go into the water.

At Montreal's man made lake, you'll see lots and lots of people in the water, including children. The water temperature is quite nice all summer long. It would be nice to have a clean, shallow lake, with a great beach. (nice, clean sand) That way the water could warm up faster or even be heated. People could swim from May to September.

Let's face it, our beaches are fine as parks but in terms of being a world class beach, they suck! Tell any tourist looking for a serious beach, to go there, and see their reaction. I've brought out of town friends to the Beaches and none of them were very impressed. Sure, the atmosphere in the Beaches neighbourhood, is very nice but who the hell puts a dog run, right on a beach? Get serious. lol Most of the beach is quite scruffy and pretty much left in it's natural state. Some people like that but I prefer a manicured, stylish, well serviced tourist type beach. I'm sure if Toronto had one beach like that, it would be a huge success. (People wouldn't have to trek up to Wasaga)

Come on, we don't even have one single nice restaurant, bar, cafe, store, rental shop or even an ice cream stand anywhere on our beaches. (and by NICE, I don't mean a Pizza Pizza hut)

Last edited:
Just as there's more to urbanism than satisfying supertall fetishists, there's more to urbanism than satisfying "world class beach" fetishists.

Back