News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 405     0 

Ottawa Transit Developments

You are forgetting there are close to 600 driver who have pink slips and there is a time limit for notice to take effect for them. By removing all routes now, what do you do with 600 extra drivers, other than paying them to sit on their ass doing nothing? Cheaper to have them on the road moving riders and keeping riders happy.

Is the number really that high? I was under the impression that while there were going to be some layoffs, most of the buses (and the drivers that go with them) were going to be re-assigned to boost frequency on routes that feed the LRT.

Is the number really that high? I was under the impression that while there were going to be some layoffs, most of the buses (and the drivers that go with them) were going to be re-assigned to boost frequency on routes that feed the LRT.
The last I heard it was close to 600, but not up to date if that has change along with movement to beef up routes. The Blair folks are worry that there will be a spike in ridership with the opening of the LRT and it could out strip bus capacity.

Even if some drivers are move to beef up routes to service the LRT, still a large number being lay off at the end of the day.

One thing OC shouldn't do until spring of 2020, is scrap buses until the first winter is over for the LRT and safe to do so. I expect NFI D40i buses will be scrap first since they are the oldest and maybe the only system still using them. Some D60LF will go next since they are useless in snow. Better off using the DD buses in place of the 60's.

TTC was planning on reducing their bus fleet with the opening of the Crosstown Line, but they need to order more to meet ridership loads and improve headway, let alone for streetcar routes until more streetcars show up in the next 10 years.

You are forgetting there are close to 600 driver who have pink slips and there is a time limit for notice to take effect for them. By removing all routes now, what do you do with 600 extra drivers, other than paying them to sit on their ass doing nothing? Cheaper to have them on the road moving riders and keeping riders happy.

Except that it's not 600. The actual number is less than 100 drivers who are getting laid off.

Dan

IIRC OCTranspo has been trying to avoid large scale layoffs due to the LRT, which is part of why it's not fully automated yet (although I believe that the system can be upgraded to that in the future, when it would have less of a massive impact on their workforce), some people will get retrained into other roles, and otherwise there should be an increase on feeder bus service.

Feeder buses are only being minimally upgraded. The city is overextended on Phase1 and the now under construction Phase 2, and operational savings are being directed towards paying financing costs. The last I heard was that hundreds of drivers were to be laid off presumably in early October.

It was stated in the beginning that up to 600 drivers could loose their jobs a few years ago. Since then, I haven't follow the various changes for drivers or the over all of the system makeup, other than watch the LRT system being built in person.

OC GM stated in July of 2018 that 345 drivers would be issues notice of lay off on Aug 3 and they would cease to work for OC on Dec 01, 2018. This was based on the line being in service by year end.

Between the first announcement and opening of the LRT line, drivers have retire or move on and were replace by drivers with the pink slip. Some of the junior drivers have move on since they had next to no chance seeing work after Phase 1 open and more so when phase II opens in a few years.

Regardless if its 50, 200 or what every, drivers are out of a job come Oct (5?) this year. More drivers will see a pink slip close to the opening of Phase II, unless they are move to new routes or routes that need to be beef up, but jobs will be lost. The bus fleet will be reduce to meet the need of the new revamp system on Oct (6?) as well the opening of Phase II.

IIRC OCTranspo has been trying to avoid large scale layoffs due to the LRT, which is part of why it's not fully automated yet (although I believe that the system can be upgraded to that in the future, when it would have less of a massive impact on their workforce), some people will get retrained into other roles, and otherwise there should be an increase on feeder bus service.

This is not true. They avoided mass layoffs by not hiring as many drivers as they wanted (and thus suffering through massive driver shortages for the past year), and through attrition. The Confederation Line is currently being operated in automatic mode as intended.

Considering the complaints about crowding on the routes feeding into the LRT however, it seems to me that it would be smart to keep those less than 100 layoffs on speed dial for any impending service improvements that will be needed.

Dan

This is not true. They avoided mass layoffs by not hiring as many drivers as they wanted (and thus suffering through massive driver shortages for the past year), and through attrition. The Confederation Line is currently being operated in automatic mode as intended.

Considering the complaints about crowding on the routes feeding into the LRT however, it seems to me that it would be smart to keep those less than 100 layoffs on speed dial for any impending service improvements that will be needed.

Dan
I guess I meant more that they still have operators on the trains rather than running a driver-less system, and worded it poorly. My bad. I realise that's not a ton of jobs, but it surely saved some. Makes sense about the overall strategy being attrition and not hiring enough people though.

And yeah, they really should make sure they have options to beef up the feeder service, given how critical it's going to be to the success of the entire transit system.

It was forced attrition because any new hires were only to be very short term and therefore very people were interested. The city has spent a fortune in over-time to make up for the shortage of drivers and is trying to get that extra money back from RTG because of the delay in opening caused the extra costs.

I guess I meant more that they still have operators on the trains rather than running a driver-less system, and worded it poorly. My bad. I realise that's not a ton of jobs, but it surely saved some. Makes sense about the overall strategy being attrition and not hiring enough people though.

It was never the intention that the system would be driver-less.

It was forced attrition because any new hires were only to be very short term and therefore very people were interested.

Forced attrition is a layoff or firing.

Attrition, as used in this context, is people leaving of their own accord. In some cases, its because of retirements. In others, they may just be sick of the workplace, or got a better offer elsewhere.

Dan

They avoided mass layoffs by not hiring as many drivers as they wanted (and thus suffering through massive driver shortages for the past year), and through attrition.
They hired as many operators as they could. I don't think there was ever a point where they didn't hire anyone to avoid mass layoffs.

I remember the union was trying to leverage seniority to get senior operators laid off so that they could collect benefits whereas new operators wouldn't be able to. I don't know if that was successful.

Back