News   Apr 19, 2024
 358     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 682     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 741     1 

Ottawa Transit Developments

Given that Ottawa is a bilingual city, I would say that this would be good move to avoid cluttering up the signage with English and French translations.
ligne CONFEDERATION line
ligne TRILIUM line

I see it everywhere. The symbol is a "C" and a "T". I think C and T exist in French.

Last edited:
ligne CONFEDERATION line
ligne TRILIUM line

I see it everywhere. The symbol is a "C" and a "T". I think C and T exist in French.

They could definitely do that, but numbers IMO are much easier and faster to read and look much cleaner in appearance. Plus it's a bit easier for tourists coming from east Asia to read which Ottawa gets quite a bit nowadays. Using C and T doesn't really make a difference from using numbers. It's really personal taste I guess, I just prefer numbers cause they're universal.

They could definitely do that, but numbers IMO are much easier and faster to read and look much cleaner in appearance. Plus it's a bit easier for tourists coming from east Asia to read which Ottawa gets quite a bit nowadays. Using C and T doesn't really make a difference from using numbers. It's really personal taste I guess, I just prefer numbers cause they're universal.
Then number the station. you can call the station 2.8 and 1.14. Or maybe station T8 and C14 could make more sense.
Or possibly it is difficult for tourists (especially from parts of Asia) to tell "T" from "C", but it is easier for them to tell Tunney's Pasture from Tremblay.

I suppose it's not a huge deal - but I was so amazed at how well the Letter Lines and Numbered Stations worked when I was in Tokyo - where I was a full tourist with no knowledge of their language.

Then number the station. you can call the station 2.8 and 1.14. Or maybe station T8 and C14 could make more sense.
Or possibly it is difficult for tourists (especially from parts of Asia) to tell "T" from "C", but it is easier for them to tell Tunney's Pasture from Tremblay.

I suppose it's not a huge deal - but I was so amazed at how well the Letter Lines and Numbered Stations worked when I was in Tokyo - where I was a full tourist with no knowledge of their language.
I would say the majority of the educated Asian population would know most of the alphabet. They aren't that isolated especially with the internet now. Numbers obviously translates better in any language

So today wasn't quite hitch free, but nothing people in Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver haven't experienced before. While the parallel bus service for a few weeks sounded like a good idea, it means the outbound transfer doesn't work, since the frequent buses are still stuck winding their way out from downtown

Sorry folks if I am being dense here. Preview of Line 5 in two years perhaps...

@Kyle Campbell, what was the issue this afternoon? Not enough trains in service?

Sorry folks if I am being dense here. Preview of Line 5 in two years perhaps...

@Kyle Campbell, what was the issue this afternoon? Not enough trains in service?
The control system on a train just like TTC.

The control system on a train just like TTC.

One train got a failure code. Total delay was 8 minutes, then things resumed again. Parliament station cleared quicky after trains started resuming, but amazing how fast the platform hits crush load on a snag.

As for the sewer smell, I imagine that will take them a bit to find. I didn't notice it the first time In went through, but maybe it's gotten worse.

Last edited:
Having a "subway" though does definitely feel big cityish. It's something Ottawans always had to go to Toronto or Montreal or New York for before

I don't buy the BS gatekeeping on what makes a "real" city. Least of all from a resident of a low density suburb with worse transit service than Ottawa.

It's useful to explain to laypeople about CBTC systems' ability to assist on PTC-like responsibilities.

In other words:
"The nature of CBTC means adding PTC-like methodologies is software-based features built into CBTC systems in trains."
"Thusly, existing CBTC systems tend to help automate several operations normally handled by PTC."

(or something like that -- it kind of blurs the lines because a system/mechanism and methodology/responsibilities is kind of integrated in today's software-driven electronics world. For the non-tech person, imagine apps (software) on an iPhone (system). Here, it is metaphorically like "ATC" and/or "PTC" are apps/features included in a "CBTC powered system". A gross oversimplification, but the easiest one-sentence simplification for laypeople)

Right?

(For other readers, the acronym Pandora Box is opened in 2015 thread: New GO Train Control+Signalling (PTC, CBTC, ETC) -- Safety & Subway-Like Frequency)

Except that ascribing PTC - Postive Train Control - to any particular signal system is pointless, because PTC isn't really a physical thing in this instance. Toronto's subway system has "PTC" because it enforces the safe separation and operation of trains - even if it doesn't actually use those three letters anywhere. By that virtue, just about every single heavy-rail rapid transit system on the planet has PTC, as they all use some varied manner of enforcing the safe operation of its trains.

While people seem to continually use the acronym to describe any number of different things, it was created as a term (by regulatory order in the US) to describe a particular set of systems that are installed on the North American railway system as an additional way of enforcing the safe operation of trains by hardware and software, and not just rules as had been the case before.

CBTC isn't a signalling system either, but rather the summary description of a number of methods used to make modern signal systems work.

Dan

So today wasn't quite hitch free, but nothing people in Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver haven't experienced before. While the parallel bus service for a few weeks sounded like a good idea, it means the outbound transfer doesn't work, since the frequent buses are still stuck winding their way out from downtown

Yeah I don't know if I really agree with the "parallel bus service for a few weeks" decision. Flip the switch, rip off the band-aid, and get it over with. All the dual-running resulted in was headways on the routes into the termini not being what they would be under the 'final' system configuration.

Does anyone have a map showing just the O-train lines and BRT lines in Ottawa.

Either its a full system map, or like future planning map.

I'm surprised an RT only map doesnt exist.

EDIT: I found one, but without the BRT lines

b2ap3_large_1mapjpg.jpg
That's an old version of this: https://map.otrainfans.ca

Yeah I don't know if I really agree with the "parallel bus service for a few weeks" decision. Flip the switch, rip off the band-aid, and get it over with. All the dual-running resulted in was headways on the routes into the termini not being what they would be under the 'final' system configuration.
You are forgetting there are close to 600 driver who have pink slips and there is a time limit for notice to take effect for them. By removing all routes now, what do you do with 600 extra drivers, other than paying them to sit on their ass doing nothing? Cheaper to have them on the road moving riders and keeping riders happy.

Back